Steakhouse just ok. Is it just me?

Ok, I have eaten at the steakhouses on 4 different cruise lines.  Princess, HAL, NCL, and RCL.  I loved the salt selection at the Crown Grill, and have since bought some like it, but that is all I can say.  None of the four stood out to me.  Yes, the service was good, but the steaks were just ok.  Is it just me? 

I do like some of the other specialty restaurants.  I think Sabatini's is wonderful, along with Le Bistro on NCL.

I don't think I will ever book a steakhouse on a cruise again.  For our anniversary cruise we have Sabatini's booked for $90.  As to that the cost of the meal that we are turning down in the MDR and it turns into a pricey meal.  It will be good, but not any better than what we would get here at home for the same cost.

• Like 2

Have you tried the Chilean Sea Bass or the Lamb Chops?  Both are outstanding.  I heard the filet is very tender and full of flavor.  I gave up on the Rib Eye Steak.  Way too much for me to eat.  I was told by the waiter that you should always order that meat medium rare.  

I do wish they would change up some of the sides.  But then again, there is so much to eat.  I love the papaya something with Tiger Prawns.

I like Sabatini's new menu, but prefer the Crown Grill.

I agree with you, it’s not that special. I love veal chops and they aren’t available everywhere so I enjoy that but nothing else really ever impresses me

• Like 2

Honestly - best "steakhouse" specialty dining I've had aboard any cruise line?

Carnival. Absolutely fantastic. Ambiance, food, service, everything new Princess, RCCL and Celebrity out of the water (and - I was already Platinum, Elite And Diamond, respectively).  

The old Ocean Liner restaurants on Celebrity were among some of the very best specialty dining on ships.  

Central Park 150 was fantastic, at a price to match 

Otherwise, nah. Crown Grill/Sterling Steakhouse doesn't wow. It's good, no denying that - but yeah. It's good. Lol..

The lobster and Chilean Sea Bass at the Crown Grill are fabulous for non-meat eaters.  My DH loves the lamb chops and it is not way too much food. 

But, of all the specialty restaurants on Princess, The Catch by Rudi is the most outstanding and Sabatini’s would be my next choice.  
The new recipe they are using for their French fries on Princess is just wow!  I ask for 3-5 fries on a small plate as I really shouldn’t eat them but they are so incredible that I limit myself to a small taste instead of a side.  

If you are wanting a really special meal though for a just bit more than at one of the specialty dining venues, I think the Ultimate Balcony dinner for $110 per couple has to be on your list.  

• Like 6

I don't eat seafood so can't comment on that.

I think the beef is mediocre at best. The sides are actually better (though not great). It is sad what they are charging for this restaurant and the mediocre quality of meet.

I completely agree with you.

• Like 4

On the Coral Princess last year (round trip Australia cruise) our group of 2 couples each ordered lamb chops and filet mignon in the Bayou Cafe and Steakhouse.  All was absolutely delicious and rivaled anything we've had in up market steakhouses in the US.  It had been 13 years since eating in the Bayou but we have eaten in various Crown Grills in the interim and none were nearly that good.

My husband loves the Crown Grill.  He thought the filet at Catch by Rudy was better than the CG.  I prefer Sabatini's though I never get all the courses.  

12 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The meat has gotten more tender since the restart, but the flavor ranges from not beef at all to tastes like liver.

Their beef does have a unique flavor to it (not in a good way). I can't place it but it does taste strange.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

The lobster and Chilean Sea Bass at the Crown Grill are fabulous for non-meat eaters.  My DH loves the lamb chops and it is not way too much food. 

But, of all the specialty restaurants on Princess, The Catch by Rudi is the most outstanding and Sabatini’s would be my next choice.  
The new recipe they are using for their French fries on Princess is just wow!  I ask for 3-5 fries on a small plate as I really shouldn’t eat them but they are so incredible that I limit myself to a small taste instead of a side.  

If you are wanting a really special meal though for a just bit more than at one of the specialty dining venues, I think the Ultimate Balcony dinner for $110 per couple has to be on your list.  

Being Greek I love Lamb chops, I just figured if the Ribeye was that bad they probably would butcher the chops, however on your husband's recommendation I'll try the chops next month.

• Like 4

I feel like it varies from ship to ship and one visit to another.  We always enjoy the steakhouse but last fall when we went to CG on the Regal it was the BEST meal ever! Everything was perfectly cooked, the service was stellar and I even aded the lobster tail to my meal....soooo good!! 
Looking forward to the Bayou Cafe on the Coral in June and also trying Rudi's for the first time and oh yeah, the 360 Experience!  

• Like 1

I ate at the Crown Grill on the Enchanted and did not like it. My filet simply was not good; in fact, it was awful. On my last Sky Princess cruise I ate at Rudy's The Catch three times. I also ate at Sabatini's, fearing I would be disappointed. I ended up really liking it. My next cruise is on  the Caribbean, which only has Sabatini's and the Crown Grill. The only thing I can see myself getting at Crown Grill is the lobster. I simply don't trust them on steak after my last experience.

Fortunately, I'm pretty happy eating in the MDR.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coral said:

It is sad what they are charging for this restaurant

I believe it's now 39.00.  Maybe you're upset that just a few years ago it was 29.00.  The current  39.00 rate is cheaper than what the comparable steakhouses cost on Carnival, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and MSC. 

Edited by Retired-N-Happy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

I believe it's now 39.00.  Maybe you're upset that just a few years ago it was 29.00.  The current  39.00 rate is cheaper than what the comparable steakhouses cost on Carnival, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and MSC. 

Actually - not upset at the cost at all. I live in Nebraska where I can get steaks from farmers I personally know. I know what good beef tastes like. And I don't have to pay a fortune for it either.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The meat on CG is very mediocre. 

At home we buy Prime grade beef and either smoke it or grill it to medium rare. Only the very top of the line restaurants are comparable. And sorry, CG is not one of them. 

On the other hand, CG is a lot cheaper than a top of the line steakhouse.  Seriously, multiples. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

At home we buy Prime grade beef and either smoke it or grill it to medium rare. Only the very top of the line restaurants are comparable. And sorry, CG is not one of them. 

On the other hand, CG is a lot cheaper than a top of the line steakhouse.  Seriously, multiples. 

Actually it's getting up there now! I suppose if you give the dining room meal say a $25 value then add$39 for CG that's $64 I would pay an additional $20 for a Prime steak. 

Unfortunately, the Catch by Rudi is not on all ships.  I only do Specialty Dining when it is complementary.  Haven't heard many speak of Planks and the Crab place on Grand Class ships.   

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

2 hours ago, suekel said:

My husband loves the Crown Grill.  He thought the filet at Catch by Rudy was better than the CG.  I prefer Sabatini's though I never get all the courses.  

50 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Haven't heard many speak of Planks

Planks is gross.  You really can't do proper BBQ on a cruise ship.  Chefs rely on liquid smoke and a sickeningly sweet BBQ sauce to make the meat seem like BBQ.  The meat is baked and then charred a bit on the grill.  The best part of the menu is the banana pudding dessert.  Just my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Planks is gross.  You really can't do proper BBQ on a cruise ship.  Chefs rely on liquid smoke and a sickeningly sweet BBQ sauce to make the meat seem like BBQ.  The meat is baked and then charred a bit on the grill.  The best part of the menu is the banana pudding dessert.  Just my opinion.

So true.  The closest to better BBQ was the Guy’s Pig and Anchor BBQ OB Carnival. It was smoked and tasted really good.

That was pre covid though.

7 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

It doesn't even taste like Choice quality on my visits.

Our hole in the wall steakhouses where I live are so much better than Crown Grill. I don't even have to eat Prime back home to get a good steak (though we have plenty of Prime beef that I can buy directly from the people that raise cows. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, rideev said:

Ok, I have eaten at the steakhouses on 4 different cruise lines.  Princess, HAL, NCL, and RCL.  I loved the salt selection at the Crown Grill, and have since bought some like it, but that is all I can say.  None of the four stood out to me.  Yes, the service was good, but the steaks were just ok.  Is it just me? 

I do like some of the other specialty restaurants.  I think Sabatini's is wonderful, along with Le Bistro on NCL.

My experience is almost identical to yours except I have not sailed on HAL in 40+years LOL. The steakhouses on all lines are meh to me. This is most likely due to the great Steakhouses where we live in Metro NY, and I love to grill good prime steaks. That being said our #1 specialty restaurant on NCL is Le Bistro and #1 on Princess is Sabatini's. Our next cruise on is on the Majestic on 4/21/25 which does not have Sabatini's. However, there are many rumors out there stating Harmony will be replaced with Sabatini's when Majestic goes into Dry Dock in March 2025. I have my fingers crossed 🙂.

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 1