Plus package casual dining

The Plus package includes two meals at a casual dining restaurant, but the older ships (like the Caribbean Princess, which we are sailing on in 6 weeks) don't seem to have those kinds of restaurants.  Does Princess provide any alternatives or is this perk just unavailable? 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Packman1000 said:

The Plus package includes two meals at a casual dining restaurant, but the older ships (like the Caribbean Princess, which we are sailing on in 6 weeks) don't seem to have those kinds of restaurants.  Does Princess provide any alternatives or is this perk just unavailable? 

CB has Vines, Planks and Steamers for casual dining..

Planks and Steamers alternate each night. They are aft on the buffet.

All ships have Casual dining options. The venues vary by ship. 

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 3

Thank you so much for this information.   I was looking at deck plans so these options didn't show up.  And even after 25 cruises on Princess I never knew Vines was considered a casual dining option.  Learn something new every day!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Packman1000 said:

Thank you so much for this information.   I was looking at deck plans so these options didn't show up.  And even after 25 cruises on Princess I never knew Vines was considered a casual dining option.  Learn something new every day!

The "dining" is limited to crudités, a charcuterie board, and truffles.  They can be purchased a la carte or as prix fixe menu with one of each.  The prix fixe menu is considered a casual dining "meal" if you have the Plus or Premier package.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

The "dining" is limited to crudités, a charcuterie board, and truffles.  They can be purchased a la carte or as prix fixe menu with one of each.  The prix fixe menu is considered a casual dining "meal" if you have the Plus or Premier package.

But you can share one meal between multiple people. Plenty of food for 2 or 3 on most ships

On Caribbean Princess now. Note that neither Planks nor Steamers appears on the app (no menu, no reservations), so you'll have to visit them or call for reservations.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

On Caribbean Princess now. Note that neither Planks nor Steamers appears on the app (no menu, no reservations), so you'll have to visit them or call for reservations.

I had heard Planks and Steamers were gone.  Oh well, rumors go around.  This new scheme for casual dining is another annoying thing about Princess that sent me elsewhere (after 31 cruises).  So does this mean even Alfredo's is a reservations/charge restaurant now?

7 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I had heard Planks and Steamers were gone.  Oh well, rumors go around.  This new scheme for casual dining is another annoying thing about Princess that sent me elsewhere (after 31 cruises).  So does this mean even Alfredo's is a reservations/charge restaurant now?

Yes Alfredo’s is a casual dining ensue and has been for awhile. I think people got tired with the 1and 2hour waits to be seated and people ordering multiple pies and leaving many uneaten

We are boarding in less than 30 days so trying to get my ducks in a row for the embarkation. Do we go to the buffet area to make the Planks and Steamers reservations? I thought we couldn’t make reservations ahead of standing in line waiting on a table. Is that the same for the pub? 

BTW: Emerald

Most of the casual dining is no reservations, but I believe that planks and steamers might be reservations once on board I would check on that your first day and it alternates for dinner no lunch as far as I know.

• Thanks 1

You can't reserve casual dining in advance of sailing. 

And basically, only Planks and Steamers take reservations, aboard, a day or two in advance.   Call DINE line, go to the venue itself, etc to make reservations. Can't do it via the app, even aboard..

As they alternate each night, you only have a couple nights for either - and they do get busy, given how many people have packages including casual dining....

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, memoak said:

But you can share one meal between multiple people. Plenty of food for 2 or 3 on most ships

Just off the Sapphire on 5/7 and we had Plus.  Wanted to just share a pizza at Alfredo’s like we’ve done before the “casual dining” designation and were told, “No.”. 
Although we were each eligible for 2 casual meals, after going twice and sharing just pizza, we had no more meals left.  Crazy!  
So, if you sail with Plus, regardless of the length of the cruise, you get 2 casual meals and in our case, sharing used up 1 meal for each of us.  On a 32-day cruise we used up 4 credits with 2 visits.

We realize we could have each ordered the prix fixe meal and wasted 2 appetizers, 2 desserts, and one whole pizza each time but that made no sense.

Bottom line - YMMV when wanting to share a meal.

Edited by MustangGT

2 minutes ago, MustangGT said:

Just off the Sapphire on 5/7 and we had Plus.  Wanted to just share a pizza at Alfredo’s like we’ve done before the “casual dining” designation and were told, “No.”. 
Although we were each eligible for 2 casual meals, after going twice and sharing just pizza, we had no more meals left.  Crazy!  
So, if you sail with Plus, regardless of the length of the cruise, you get 2 casual meals and in our case, sharing used up 1 meal for each of us.  On a 32-day cruise we used up 4 credits with 2 visits.

We realize we could have each ordered the prix fixe meal and wasted 2 appetizers, 2 desserts, and one whole pizza each time but that made no sense.

My reference was to Vines where on both the Crown and Ruby we could share meals 

Just now, memoak said:

My reference was to Vines where on both the Crown and Ruby we could share meals 

Sorry, I thought it was related to casual dining venues. ☺️

Posted (edited)
Just now, MustangGT said:

Sorry, I thought it was related to casual dining venues. Vines is a casual dining venue

Edited by memoak

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I realize Vines is a casual dining venue. I was giving our experience in a casual dining venue which was that we were not allowed to “share” and not each use up one of our casual dining allowances.  
Happy Sailing!

1 hour ago, MustangGT said:

I realize Vines is a casual dining venue. I was giving our experience in a casual dining venue which was that we were not allowed to “share” and not each use up one of our casual dining allowances.  
Happy Sailing!

3 hours ago, MustangGT said:

It is so strange they charge each person for a full fixed price meal when only 1 pizza is consumed by 2. Do they really prefer that people order more food than they can eat and toss half of it away? 

23 minutes ago, wish_I_was_a_mermaid said:

It is so strange they charge each person for a full fixed price meal when only 1 pizza is consumed by 2. Do they really prefer that people order more food than they can eat and toss half of it away? 

I agree completely! I couldn’t convince them with my logic 🥴

1 hour ago, wish_I_was_a_mermaid said:

I think they prefer that 2 people using their Plus package dining credits not take up 4 casual dining seatings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, this new casual dining scheme has been discouraging.  We recently sailed on the CB and did not bother with Planks or Steamers.  We just weren’t impressed by either restaurant for dinner.  We had planned to try the charcuterie board at Vines for a lunch, but somehow it didn’t happen.  We knew that there was no Alfredo’s on the CB, but we missed it.  We’ve sailed on the CB before, but this cruise was pretty lackluster.  We’ve decided to take a break from Princess and pursue other travel opportunities.

We were recently on CB and ate at both Planks and Steamers.  We made reservations for Steamers on the Dine Line and  "walked in" to Planks.  We enjoyed the food in Planks but the service was ridiculously slow.  I mentioned to the Chef/Server, whomever he was, that we were anxious to get to the show (which was true) and I clearly offended him because he went on and on about how he is "doing his best", etc.  I felt terrible!

I loved my enormous bowl of  mussels in Steamers (and the service was just fine) but my DH didn't like the food choices.  Read the menu before you choose to dine here!  The options are limited!

It is confusing that the casual dining  venues on CB are only available by calling the Dine Line or making in person.  BY the way, we made a reservation for one of the main dining rooms via the Dine Line onboard and it was lost.

1 hour ago, mevs904 said:

We had planned to try the charcuterie board at Vines for a lunch, but somehow it didn’t happen

We found that vines was normally full of people just hanging out rather than using Vines so there was never any seating so we just didn't bother last cruise.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MustangGT said:

Just off the Sapphire too, 32 day voyage. We asked about sharing prior to being seated and no was the answer...but they had a workaround!

We opted to dine separate days and they wrapped half the pizza in foil to go after suggesting we could have different toppings on each side. They wrapped the entire tiramisu in foil to go also. 

Edited by startedwithamouse