Fresh Alaska Salmon?

I am not a fan of most cruise ship lobster.  However, I was on a cruise that docked in Portland ME on lobster night. It was better than any lobster that I ever seen on a cruise ship (the tails were still small, but delicious)   I believe that they purchased lobster tails that day in port.

I have seen this happen on cruise ship documentaries on luxury cruise ships.  In these episodes, the chef goes to the local fish market or docks to purchase fresh local catch.

Does a similar thing happen in Alaska ports during salmon season?

• Like 2

An Executive Chef on one of the ships said in an enrichment talk that health regulations required all fish brought on board to be frozen.  No fresh fish could be served.  This may or not be true, but it's what I remember being told.

19 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

An Executive Chef on one of the ships said in an enrichment talk that health regulations required all fish brought on board to be frozen.  No fresh fish could be served.  This may or not be true, but it's what I remember being told.

That may very well be the case, the ships were not in US ports when the chefs went to the fish markets.  They were also smaller ships

Even in Portland, the lobster may have been caught the day before and frozen overnight.

We were on the Regal where there was a butchery demonstration. All meat is frozen and then thawed in special rooms. The only place where the fish may be fresh is Alaska where the ship may get fresh salmon.

When you are cruising in Alaska, the salmon served onboard may have been caught in Alaska, but it is not brought in from the ports fresh. It comes in large quantities at the embarkation port and is frozen. That’s not to say that when prepared and served onboard, it isn’t good, because it usually is enjoyable.

But, for truly fresh Alaska seafoods, take your opportunity to dine in the ports while you are there. It is a different experience. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On some of the fhimg excursions if you catch a salmon they will send it to the ship where you can have it for dinner. Only certain excursions are allowedto do this.  Can not get any fresher than that on a cruise ship.

@davy jones probably on small chartered yachts -yes potential of crew going ashore in AK and getting fresh salmon. Not the big cruise lines.

You could go on an excursion to a salmon bake or a restaurant to have fresh salmon while ashore.

As someone else said -if you take a fishing excursion (select ones )you can have your fresh fish prepared for lunch or dinner in the dining room. Who knows if they’re still doing those? I have seen it advertised, but no first-hand knowledge.

@davy jones here’s the current Princess website information-whether they’ve updated it or not ??

if you’re really interested in fresh or frozen maybe see if someone has the menus posted from the current Alaska sailing. Since the Alaska cruises have just begun. I am assuming the cook my catch is a very expensive experience. IMG_9896.thumb.jpeg.8d1a95b4cfc05655586d593a5e631120.jpegIMG_9895.thumb.jpeg.a3b0b4d56a3c960a7ba59842d53856cd.jpeg

12 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

@davy jones here’s the current Princess website information-whether they’ve updated it or not ??

if you’re really interested in fresh or frozen maybe see if someone has the menus posted from the current Alaska sailing. Since the Alaska cruises have just begun. I am assuming the cook my catch is a very expensive experience. IMG_9896.thumb.jpeg.8d1a95b4cfc05655586d593a5e631120.jpegIMG_9895.thumb.jpeg.a3b0b4d56a3c960a7ba59842d53856cd.jpeg

Thank you for this info.  Mrs. Jones is interested in fresh seafood but not catching or cleaning it herself, so that is out.  However, she will be interested in the Alaskan themed dinners in MDR and specialty restaurants.

On 5/13/2024 at 5:32 AM, DCThunder said:

May be true for the ship's stores, but @PescadoAmarillo has posted about her DH taking fishing excursions in Alaska and bringing the fish to the ship for the chef's to prepare for a private feast.

22 hours ago, Potstech said:

On some of the fhimg excursions if you catch a salmon they will send it to the ship where you can have it for dinner. Only certain excursions are allowedto do this.  Can not get any fresher than that on a cruise ship.

My SIL did that and they didn't catch a thing!  He has another cruise booked this summer and he says he's going to try again.  (He's a pretty experienced fisherman, too.)

4 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

May be true for the ship's stores, but @PescadoAmarillo has posted about her DH taking fishing excursions in Alaska and bringing the fish to the ship for the chef's to prepare for a private feast.

That is because Princess requires that the charter boat document the time of the catch, the time the catch reached 40*F in the boat's coolers, and that the fish maintained that temperature for the entire time from catch to delivery to ship.  Those are the documentation requirements that the USPH/CDC VSP requires for fresh seafood to be brought onto the ship.  Sources of "potentially hazardous food" have to be "verifiable" with records.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Kay S said:

My SIL did that and they didn't catch a thing!  He has another cruise booked this summer and he says he's going to try again.  (He's a pretty experienced fisherman, too.)

We did the ship salmon fishing in Juneau and brought the Coho back to the ship and they cooked it for us. We donated the rest to the crew.

20210902_130433_resized.jpg

Debbies Salmon.jpg

Coho Juneau.jpg

Edited by gvre
  • Like 2

On 5/14/2024 at 11:50 AM, chengkp75 said:

That is because Princess requires that the charter boat document the time of the catch, the time the catch reached 40*F in the boat's coolers, and that the fish maintained that temperature for the entire time from catch to delivery to ship.  Those are the documentation requirements that the USPH/CDC VSP requires for fresh seafood to be brought onto the ship.  Sources of "potentially hazardous food" have to be "verifiable" with records.

That's really interesting. Thanks!