Nick Weir has left Royal

Just saw this as well.  Very surprised as he was active with excitement for the latest upcoming new shows as recent as yesterday.  He has been incredibly passionate about both the present and future of entertainment at RCL, including on upcoming ships such as Utopia and Star.

Something must have just happened as he was an involved prominent leader at RCL.  He also almost daily gave updates and sneak peaks on twitter.  He is very involved on the ongoing evolution of entertainment on Icon.  Hope he is ok.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Corporate shakeups happen all the time for all sorts of reasons, often benign reasons.

I understand the word shakeup was used in the article.  But maybe he was the cause and he may have known of this for some time and made the decision to leave entirely on his own for a better offer, personal reasons, who knows? 

@cusematt4 I hope he is fine and has moved on to bigger and better things.  Maybe one day we will know.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

38 minutes ago, Anton said:

He was posting tweets as late as Friday touting Royal entertainment.  

Fairly obviously not his choice to leave.

I hope this doesn’t mean big cuts to entertainment. It’s a big USP for Royal.

• Like 1

Inquiring minds would love to know why he left? His choice or forced out? My speculation is that he did not see eye to eye with Liberty. Cutbacks to entertainment in the future??

• Like 1

I fear the days of live orchestras and full Broadway shows with 20+ cast members are numbered. 

Much cheaper to have a few singers and dancers performing to prerecorded tracks like on most other cruise lines.

Most people won’t care or notice the difference but it’s another sad reflection of the direction Liberty’s taking Royal in.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

I fear the days of live orchestras and full Broadway shows with 20+ cast members are numbered. 

If you're talking about the Wizard of Oz specifically, it's in the contract with the estate that the show had to be performed per very specific terms. The 16 piece orchestra is one of those terms. 🙂 

I do hope Nick can tell us soon where he is going. I can think of multiple cruise lines that I would love to see him help. 

• Like 2

Now that Nick Weir has left Royal, whether on his own or forced out by Royal, what will happen to the eMuster Drill in the Royal App since he holds the patent on it?

@smokeybandit beat me to it. When you work for a company, while you may be the listed inventor of a patent, the applicant and the assignee will be the company that you are employed by.

BTW, apparently there are 6 or 7 related patents, and I count at least 7 different individuals, no more than 3 on any 1 patent. Nick is not even listed on one of them.

• Like 1

I guess I am out of the loop when it comes to RCCL corporate decisions, but why does this even matter?  It is posted here and on other social media.  What am I missing?

M

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I guess I am out of the loop when it comes to RCCL corporate decisions, but why does this even matter?  It is posted here and on other social media.  What am I missing?

M

He was the head of entertainment, so his departure could affect the direction the entertainment takes.

Might have something to do with booking Boy George and Culture Club to headline President's Cruise 2024?

Sure seems like an odd choice to me.

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Jam0610 said:

Might have something to do with booking Boy George and Culture Club to headline President's Cruise 2024?

Sure seems like an odd choice to me.

Why odd? Boy George has just finished a run in Moulin Rouge on Broadway so feels pretty relevant right now.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

He was the head of entertainment, so his departure could affect the direction the entertainment takes.

Thanks for the info. I read of his  position in the posts but didn’t think his leaving will  have any direct effect for me.

I’ve enjoyed Royal Caribbean entertainment since our first RCCL cruise in 1997. I can’t imagine a change in a specific position will make that much difference to me. 

There is  always some entertainment I like more than others, and I suspect it will be that way in the future as well

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Why odd? Boy George has just finished a run in Moulin Rouge on Broadway so feels pretty relevant right now.

Agree. And glad someone besides me knows Boy George. Only seems odd to me based on President's Cruise if mostly booked by Upper Tier Crown and Anchor members.

Last year we sailed on Allure President's Cruise. Had Chaka Khan as the headliner. 

I thought she was great but many disagreed.

I'm still wishing for Whitesnake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2