Help understanding the "have it all" plan

Posted (edited)

For some reason I had to create a new account so this is not my first post. in fact, we are experienced cruiser with close to 100 cruises completed.  Since HAL moved out of NY all that time ago we have not had the opportunity to sail on this line since 2012.  We are considering an extended cruise close to 47 days in total and can't get straight answers from the HAL representatives, hopefully you guys and gals can help us out. We are considering opting for the "have it all" option which supposedly includes Specialty dinning, Alcohol plan, Gratuities and premium wifi plan. 

When I read the details on the Holland America web site it has contradictory information so I called HAL and here's what I've been told about the have it all plan:

For a 47day cruise the included specialty dinners total 3, does anyone know if that's correct?

The plan also includes the premium internet plan and to upgrade to the "stream" plan its $16 per day.  Does that sound correct and is it for one or two devices.  The web site lists the premium plan at $35/day and the stream plan at $45/day.  Then in the footnotes it lists the premium plan at $22.86/day and the stream plan at $35/day.  Complete inconsistency and I have no idea what the actual rates and up charges are.

The plan also includes "crew appreciation" which I understand is prepaid gratuities but then in the footnotes on the web site it state wine stewards, bar tenders, specialty dining and waiters are not included.  When I called HAL they said main dining room waiters were included, does anyone know who's in and who's out in these prepaid gratuities.

Finally, Even though alcohol is included one rep told me there's a $17/day charge (each passenger?) for gratuities yet when I go to the payment page nothing is added.  Does anyone know if there is a $17/day gratuity for the included beverage plan in the have it all option and when is it added?

Thanks folks for any insight.

Edited by bjlaacjlc

I can answer some of your questions. The $17/day must be part of the overall HIA price because it won't be charged to you on your room account.  You won't pay anything for your beverages under the plan, unless you order something above the limit. 

Crew incentive covers pretty much everyone except beverage stewards - those drinks will have 18% added, but again if covered by your beverage package there's no additional out of pocket for you. I assume the spa people will have a place for a gratuity on their slips, and they wouldn't be part of the crew incentive.  Restaurant stewards, room stewards, and many behind the scenes crew ARE included. 

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 3

When you book under HIA, both occupants of the cabin have the Wifi plan. Its for one device per person, but if you need more than one per person, just sign off of one, and use the other.

Your take on the gratuities is correct.

• Like 3

You should use a trusted travel agent and have them do the work. When I find a cruise I want, I always call my agent and he will get me the best possible deal and explain to me specifically what each offer is all about. Holland America offers a few versions of the have it all plans, so it is important to understand the package you purchase.

• Like 3

1. A cruise booking of 21 or plus days will get you the $300 in excursions pp, one wifi per person, 3 specialty restaurants etc. That's what we had for a single booking 21 day cruise in Dec 2023. We have an upcoming 21 night total cruise but it was booked as 7 day and 14 day segments (cheaper that way, same cabin on both) with different booking numbers. HIA is applied separately for each segment ie 7 day gets one restaurant, 14 day gets 2 restaurants if we want to add it on. If your 47 day cruise is built up of different segments on different booking numbers then the HIA rules should apply by segment and not the total 47 days.
  • Like 2

Have you thought of getting a cruise TA that will help?  We did this for our 21 day HAL cruise and it was fabulous.  We cannot name TA's on CC but you can pm those who have good TAs.  One other post today said that they got 4 different answers from 4 PCs.  I think the HIA is pretty detailed as to what is included when you book a cruise.  Our HIA is different for our 2026 cruise than it was for our 2024 cruise.  There are awesome CC members who can recommend a good TA or PC to help you.  Enjoy 47 days cruising.  Cherie

Here's some straightforward responses to your questions. First of all, there's 2 Have It All plans: the Have It All plan, and the upgraded Have It All Plus plan, which is applicable to early booking cruises. So the first thing you need to do is to get a firm quote from HAL or your travel agent that specifies which plan is being quoted, the Have It All, or Have It All Plus. The Plus plan is normally offered as an early booking incentive, so look for the words "Early Booking Bonus"  - that's usually the Plus plan. 

The basic Have it All includes: 

1. Beverages - You get the Signature Drink Package, which is up to 15 free beverages per person per day, up to a maximum of $11 per drink. It also includes the 18% gratuity on each drink of $11 or under. If you order a drink over $11, you pay only the excess cost over $11, plus the 18% gratuity on that excess amount. 

2. Free specialty dining - normally 1 dinner (for 2 people) for a 7 day cruise, but in your case 3 dinners on your longer cruise. On our 35 day cruise last year, we also got 3 dinners. 

3. Internet - You get the Surf plan for each person in the cabin, which gets you news sites and email but not streaming like Netflix or video calling like Zoom or Teams 

4. Shore excursion discount - in longer cruises like yours, you get $300 per person credits. (Tip: book them as early as you can, online, before you leave, to avoid the risk of them selling out before you get on board)

For the Have It All Plus (or early booking bonus), you get the Have it All perks above, plus these upgrades: 

1.  Beverages - You get the Elite Beverage Package; same limit of 15 drinks per person per day, but up to maximum amount of $15 per drink. Also includes the 18% gratuity on each drink. 

2. Internet - you get the Premium wifi, which gives access to more sites, including video calls like Zoom and Teams, but still not streaming video like Netflix (although some people have reported that they have been able to do that). You can upgrade further on board, to the Stream plan, for a daily cost, but I am not sure of the cost of that 

3. Prepaid gratuities - includes the daily Crew Appreciation (tips) of $17 per day per person

Here's a chart that shows the difference between the 2 Have It All plans:  https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/cruise-deals/have-it-all-early-booking-bonus

Hope this helps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

7 hours ago, cccole said:

... We cannot name TA's on CC but you can pm those who have good TAs... There are awesome CC members who can recommend a good TA or PC to help you.

I don't believe the PM feature is enabled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2024 at 11:22 PM, CafeBruno said:

For the Have It All Plus (or early booking bonus), you get the Have it All perks above, plus these upgrades: 

1.  Beverages - You get the Elite Beverage Package; same limit of 15 drinks per person per day, but up to maximum amount of $15 per drink. Also includes the 18% gratuity on each drink. 

Just to clarify this, while the Signature Beverage Package has a limit of 15 drinks total pppd, the Elite package has a limit of 15 alcoholic drinks pppd but allows unlimited non-alcoholic drinks. 

• Like 4

On 5/15/2024 at 9:55 AM, bajae said:

Just to clarify this, while the Signature Beverage Package has a limit of 15 drinks total pppd, the Elite package has a limit of 15 alcoholic drinks pppd but allows unlimited non-alcoholic drinks. 

According to HAL's website that is not true.

Elite Beverage Package has a daily limit of 15 beverages, which includes all beverages priced at US$15 or less and beverage service charges. The Elite Beverage Package includes wine, beer, spirits, cocktails, non-alcoholic beverages, sodas, bottled water (sparkling or still, 400ml or less) and coffee.

Nowhere does it say unlimited non-alcoholic drinks.

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2024 at 9:55 AM, bajae said:

This is true.

We had the EBP on a 12/2023 and 04/2024 cruise.

We were over limit on the 15 if you factored in the sodas, coffees, waters, etc. Never an issue.

We did not top, nor get close to the 15 alcoholic beverage limit.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 8:55 AM, bajae said:

My understanding is that is correct.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 2:02 PM, VMax1700 said:

It does state unlimited non-alcoholic drinks on this page!

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/eu/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

Screenshot2024-05-18160048.thumb.png.28464162a389c6e017df169e6032b120.png

Yep,we went to the bar stewards and asked point blank. We get unlimited non-alcoholic beverages with the Elite beverage package!  Not that I need that many. Good discussion!!  I learned something. Plus HAL needs to clear up this on their website. As usual conflicting information at each turn. 

• Like 2

On 5/18/2024 at 5:47 PM, mawvkysc said:

I have been able to watch YouTube with the premium Wi-Fi ( HIA plus). 

That's very interesting; my husband likes to watch a little YouTube every day and I was thinking we needed to get the more expensive streaming option to support that.   I think you mentioned on another thread that you thought Premium filtered some of the streaming websites (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) but I was surprised that they wouldn't also filter out YouTube.

29 minutes ago, BadgerRedux said:

That's very interesting; my husband likes to watch a little YouTube every day and I was thinking we needed to get the more expensive streaming option to support that.   I think you mentioned on another thread that you thought Premium filtered some of the streaming websites (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) but I was surprised that they wouldn't also filter out YouTube.

I was surprised too. 
It may be because people post personal videos to YouTube while on their trips, similar to Instagram/FB. So maybe they consider it a social media  platform