Princess Entertainment - 45 Minutes no matter what

I just got off the Discovery Princess and was frankly disappointed in the entertainment.  All the entertainment whether it was a "Production Show" (They are not), a comic, a gameshow, or anything else was 45 minutes to the second.  I felt like I was back at Middle School and the bell goes off and everyone scatters to the next class.

The Cruise director and his team were awesome but holding to the schedule took the spontaneity and mood out.  Game going great, people having a great time - we have to end this now because we are at time.

What gives with Princess Entertainment??  

In the words of Caesar - Are you not entertained!?!?  Uhm, No we were not.

• Haha 2

There is a long history of why shows are timed the way they are.  I can't give you a precise/accurate explanation, so won't.  I did have the pleasure of sitting next to a cast member's mother on a recent cruise and had this discussion.  

Princess settled in on 45 minutes for the benefit of scheduling, cast members, other events going on outside the theater, and a sundry of other reasons.  

I don't know what your background is or if you are a passenger on other cruise lines.  

• Like 1

For me, I call it respect for my time.  

If I've booked something somewhere else.  I'd like to have time to enjoy the show, and walk to the next event, item, apt that I have.

I bet they figured out the average time for someone to get somewhere next.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've only been on three lines so far, but they have all run the entertainment the same way. Makes perfect sense to me and I appreciate they are punctual.

• Like 5

If the show ran for 55 minutes, you wouldn't be able to do more than one thing that evening.   They need to have a schedule and they need to respect the time of the next group scheduled in the venue.  

• Like 1

Princess Theater Shows on my April Royal Princess were 30 minutes long so they could (sometimes) have 3 at night. Thought that was brilliant as it ensured enough seats for all. Of course it meant no production shows; just comedy, musicians, singers, and variety

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I actually remember the history. I believe it was May 2012 because when it changed (if memory serves me correct - I remember I was doing a B2B2B with my Mom). The shows used to be longer. There had been a lot of complaints on the larger ships (Crown, Ruby, Emerald) because people couldn't get into see the shows as they didn't increase the size of the Theatre when they built these ships. The Royal Princess was going to debut in the next year and they were concerned about the size of the theater on that ship as well. So they came out with the brilliant idea of doing 3 shows per night at 45 minutes. So on one sailing we had longer shows and the next sailing, it was shorter (and seemed confusing after seeing the longer shows and then seeing the shorter shows). 

Then, they dropped the 3rd SHOWING of the production shows. So they are back to 2 shows.

I remember sitting next to the CD at the most traveled lunch and he said "It would be best if they just built larger theaters". 

Edited by Coral
typo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

I actually remember the history. I believe it was May 2012 because when it changed (if memory serves me correct - I remember I was doing a B2B2B with my Mom). The shows used to be longer. There had been a lot of complaints on the larger ships (Crown, Ruby, Emerald) because people couldn't get into see the shows as they didn't increase the size of the Theatre when they built these ships. The Royal Princess was going to debut in the next year and they were concerned about the size of the theater on that ship as well. So they came out with the brilliant idea of doing 3 shows per night at 45 minutes. So on one sailing we had longer shows and the next sailing, it was shorter (and seemed confusing after seeing the longer shows and then seeing the shorter shows). 

Then, they dropped the 3rd sailing of the production shows. So they are back to 2 shows.

I remember sitting next to the CD at the most traveled lunch and he said "It would be best if they just built larger theaters". 

I took remember that pretty darn clearly.  It was odd, to say the least.

What's "worse" is that, the new Sun doesn't have a larger theater either. Under 1100 seats, for a 4200 passenger ship, at double occupancy.    And the shows, only twice a night - when the original info was that they'd be three times a night.  Go figure.

Add in the Dome shows -  that seats 230 or so and are 20 minutes long, only twice a night also.

And Voila - more than half the ship can't get in to see any of the shows on any given night..  Far less when there's third or fourth berths in use..  a fail on this design - unless they do transition to 3 a night as originally planned.  

And with it being a new ship, design and 6 new shows - 3 brand new production shows (and the 4th a reimagines Fiera) and the 3 Cirque shows in the Dome, people are going to want to see them, even those long time cruisers who've seen all the others shows too many times to count and don't go at all anymore.    (Only 2 production shows so far, all 3 Dome shows up).  People are reporting waiting on line and in their seat in the Dome for 90 minutes or an hour, not making it at all, standing room only, etc.  

Fail. A larger theater was definitely in order. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

There is a long history of why shows are timed the way they are.  I can't give you a precise/accurate explanation, so won't.  I did have the pleasure of sitting next to a cast member's mother on a recent cruise and had this discussion.  

Princess settled in on 45 minutes for the benefit of scheduling, cast members, other events going on outside the theater, and a sundry of other reasons.  

I don't know what your background is or if you are a passenger on other cruise lines.  

It was crazy when the shows were shortened to 20 minutes (see @Coral’s post below). We waited for the show for twice as long as we enjoyed the show. The stated reason was to give guests (though I think we were still called passengers back then) more opportunities to see more entertainment. In reality, it’s because Princess insists on building ships with inadequate main theater space. 

16 minutes ago, Coral said:

Then, they dropped the 3rd SHOWING of the production shows. So they are back to 2 shows.

You’re very right (and so was the CD). We were still on the ship from our winter at sea, when it all changed from one cruise to the next, so I think it was in February or March of 2012. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

You’re very right (and so was the CD). We were still on the ship from our winter at sea, when it all changed from one cruise to the next, so I think it was in February or March of 2012. 

They may have implemented ship by ship at different times. We were doing a a LA to Vancouver coastal and then Vancouver to Whittier and back. I am pretty sure for the Sapphire it was May. Other ships may have done it earlier or later than Sapphire.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

I just got off the Discovery Princess and was frankly disappointed in the entertainment.  All the entertainment whether it was a "Production Show" (They are not), a comic, a gameshow, or anything else was 45 minutes to the second. 

What gives with Princess Entertainment??  

It's decades long tradition among musicians, begun when the AFM (American Federation of Musicians) or Musicians' Union, came along, back in 1900 or so.  As a life-long musician (though I had a non-musical primary profession, or "day job," for 40+ years), coming from a family of musicians, most of whom were lounge and night club performers for some major period of their musical life, the 45-minute set has been sacrosanct.  For lounge and nightclub performers, private engagements (from where the word "gig" originally came from), a 4- or 5-hour gig, say from 9pm to 1am or 2am, was set up as follows: starting on the hour, play first set for 1 hour, followed by a 15 min break, then 45 min sets/15 min breaks to follow, ending exactly on the hour. It's a tradition begun under union rules. Nothing else. Whether a solo lounge act, trios, quartets, big bands, etc., sets were generally 45 minutes long with 15 min breaks, or longer if alternating with other acts. Given that all musical acts are directed or coordinated by musicians aboard ships (or land resorts, hotels, etc.), the 45/15 sets continue. On rare exceptions, like when performing for big name acts, the 45 min sets are dismissed and a performance will go as long as the name act wishes. In these cases, the musicians' pay for the gig is prorated accordingly.  Not likely to change unless the music coordinator or director for the venue (in this case, ship) becomes a CPA or other finance professional.

Edited by Jose Zalfadilla
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, reedprincess said:

What's "worse" is that, the new Sun doesn't have a larger theater either. Under 1100 seats, for a 4200 passenger ship, at double occupancy.    And the shows, only twice a night - when the original info was that they'd be three times a night.  Go figure.

Add in the Dome shows -  that seats 230 or so and are 20 minutes long, only twice a night also.

And Voila - more than half the ship can't get in to see any of the shows on any given night..  Far less when there's third or fourth berths in use..  a fail on this design - unless they do transition to 3 a night as originally planned.  

And with it being a new ship, design and 6 new shows - 3 brand new production shows (and the 4th a reimagines Fiera) and the 3 Cirque shows in the Dome, people are going to want to see them, even those long time cruisers who've seen all the others shows too many times to count and don't go at all anymore.    (Only 2 production shows so far, all 3 Dome shows up).  People are reporting waiting on line and in their seat in the Dome for 90 minutes or an hour, not making it at all, standing room only, etc.  

Fail. A larger theater was definitely in order. 

Looks as though we'll be camping out at the dome as soon as I can find a seat and have food brought to me. Now I'll have to figure out a way to get to the toilet. 🚽

I can understand complaining if a longer (or shorter) show time is desired.   Can't say the same for complaining about maintaining a time schedule.   I think lack of seating cited on the new ship is an issue, and wonder how Princess missed the ball on this one.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I can understand complaining if a longer (or shorter) show time is desired.   Can't say the same for complaining about maintaining a time schedule.   I think lack of seating cited on the new ship is an issue, and wonder how Princess missed the ball on this one.  

I can see them using maybe 30 minute shows & running the 4 times nightly. 

Posted (edited)

The obvious solution is to pause the show's every few minutes for commercials.   Then you can have your longer show, just like regular TV does.

Edited by Stosh68
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

We have found the Princess entertainment over the years to have become anything but entertaining that we usually do not even go and attend anymore.  

It seems that entertainers on cruise ship are not really destined for the big time.

Edited by Princessfan20

20 hours ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

We have not traveled on Princess for a decade or two. It was like entertainment for people with ADD.

And why are you here?

33 minutes ago, 555 said:

They tried doing 30 minute shows 3 times a night after the Royal class came out. It did not last long.

1 minute ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

I am just off a Princess cruise and was really curious why the 45 minute strict timing. 

This is what you previously said. "We have not traveled on Princess for a decade or two. It was like entertainment for people with ADD." You must be confused or are just trolling.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 555 said:

That would be a solution.  Even 3 or 4 at 45 minutes would work.  I guess I'm just wondering why they built what they know up front to be inadequate seating.   

41 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

We have found the Princess entertainment over the years to have become anything but entertaining that we usually do not even go and attend anymore.  

It seems that entertainers on cruise ship are not really destined for the big time.

Sorry to hear.  We have enjoyed the main theater entertainment on our last 4 or so Princess cruises.  We feel in has improved over the past attempts at loud glitzy production shows.