Considering Explora Journey But Would Appreciate Some Feedback as Comparted to other Brands

My travel agent suggested for me to learn more about Explora Journey.  I read a few reviews, I saw some familiar contributors from other boards. I am looking at to consider Explora but need some comparisons to what I have been used too in the past. Any and all feedback would be appreciated. Full disclosure, I never ask questions unless I am seriously considering a brand. All the brands I will outline below I still enjoy but for specific cruises or experiences I want on a cruise.  I am booked for a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise in late 2025 on Oceania Vista. 

What I enjoy and want in my future cruises:

• Brands and Experiences I have Enjoyed in the Past: NCL Haven, MSC Yacht Club, Celebrity Retreat and most recently Oceania Cruise Larger Ships. In each case, the personalized service, dining, bars and amenities were better then standard cruise categories. 
  • Personalized Service: Feeling like a guest vs. a number.  Service that does not feel like a cookie cutter.  
  • Dining: Not rushed, attentive service, quality food, with the understanding it will never be Five Star since it is a floating hotel. I also realize food in general is subjective. 
  • Semi-All-Inclusive: I have no need for airfare, I would prefer to arrange and do my own excursions, I would enjoy as I notice this brand has transfers from ports to city central, access to all areas including thermal spa, specialty restaurants, etc. 

Things I would like to know:

• What are the benefits or amenities differences between stateroom categories.  Early booking for specialty restaurants, early boarding, additional benefits for inside staterooms, butlers, and in-stateroom bar/soft drink setups.
  • Those that have gone on the brands and categories I outlined above, how the Explora compared in you mind. 

I will continue to google, watch YouTube Video's, and call the reservations to clarify some questions.  Any information from those that have traveled this brand would be appreciated.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

My travel agent suggested for me to learn more about Explora Journey.  I read a few reviews, I saw some familiar contributors from other boards. I am looking at to consider Explora but need some comparisons to what I have been used too in the past. Any and all feedback would be appreciated. Full disclosure, I never ask questions unless I am seriously considering a brand. All the brands I will outline below I still enjoy but for specific cruises or experiences I want on a cruise.  I am booked for a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise in late 2025 on Oceania Vista. 

• Brands and Experiences I have Enjoyed in the Past: NCL Haven, MSC Yacht Club, Celebrity Retreat and most recently Oceania Cruise Larger Ships. In each case, the personalized service, dining, bars and amenities were better then standard cruise categories. 
  • Personalized Service: Feeling like a guest vs. a number.  Service that does not feel like a cookie cutter.  
  • Dining: Not rushed, attentive service, quality food, with the understanding it will never be Five Star since it is a floating hotel. I also realize food in general is subjective. 
  • Semi-All-Inclusive: I have no need for airfare, I would prefer to arrange and do my own excursions, I would enjoy as I notice this brand has transfers from ports to city central, access to all areas including thermal spa, specialty restaurants, etc. 

• What are the benefits or amenities differences between stateroom categories.  Early booking for specialty restaurants, early boarding, additional benefits for inside staterooms, butlers, and in-stateroom bar/soft drink setups.
  • Those that have gone on the brands and categories I outlined above, how the Explora compared in you mind. 

I will continue to google, watch YouTube Video's, and call the reservations to clarify some questions.  Any information from those that have traveled this brand would be appreciated.

Greetings While you and I have never crossed paths on board. We have definitely seen each other on message boards

For a very detailed comparison between Oceania vista and EJ please take a look at my post from February when we sailed on the vista, having previously sail explore journey last october. EJ is far and away superior in many comparisons IMHO however it all boils down to what one is looking for. Food and ambiance much better on EJ as well as personal attentive upscale service.  Entertainment on Oceania much more diverse and more high end Although while on e j, we were treated too incredible steinway artists 

We have enjoyed the Retreat on Celebrity yet EJ better more luxurious experience. Specialty restaurants on O were excellent 

Best way for me to sum up is we just booked EJ again for next year. If you look at the thread for the comparison, it will be very informative because there are some definite drawbacks on the back of the house issues for explorer journey to consider although my recent booking and experience was excellent and evidenced significantly improved service.

Good luck. There are some very attractive pricing on some of EJ offerings 

Hope my input assists you

ENJOY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I have nothing more to offer but wot I already wrote!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, English Tim said:

What none of us know is what it’ll be like when the ship is full.

@English Tim I am very new here on this board.  I am not new to cruise critic or cruising.  Can you elaborate.  Are the ships not filled now?  Any information will be helpful.

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Are the ships not filled now?  Any information will be helpful

The Explora experience and service are very good, but up to now there have been few voyages sailing even at half capacity (and with an abnormal number of travel agents and influencers, 50% or more of passengers at times).  Makes it hard to assess what the experience would be full and with fully paid guests. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

We have enjoyed the Retreat on Celebrity yet EJ better more luxurious experience.

We had a similar feeling after two Explora "journeys" and 3 Celebrity Retreats; both are good but Celebrity Retreat was not up to the same service level in terms of attentiveness and friendliness, and we never were that impressed with Luminae as a restaurant.  In most respects (taking into consideration size of ship differences) Explora is a better product from our experience.

Gary, you've been on Crystal and to me the Explora experience is closer to Crystal than Celebrity, in terms of passenger load, multiple dining options, and friendly service.  You'll see threads in this forum debating the comparison (I think of Crystal as a more high-end option than Explora FWIW, and similarly priced). 

Not sure how else to phrase it, but Explora is still in development and may end up quite different than it currently is.  With more established lines there is a lot more consistency to the product (e.g. in December the cafe on Explora had the Portuguese custard tarts "pasteis de nata" but not last week onboard, whereas you can always count on them being available and great on Crystal).  Likewise, have heard rumors that Explora's Anthology concept is on the chopping block; rotating different famous Michelin starred chefs through is hard, charging 190 euros sets a high expectation, and doesn't seem to be working out that well (we experienced two of those chefs, and one was amazing and the other time was worse than other options on Explora).  Entertainment was horrible early on, but now has improved a lot.  Reviewing Explora is a moving target!

Looking forward to seeing your writeup if you go on Explora; I appreciate your perspective.

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, johng75370 said:

We had a similar feeling after two Explora "journeys" and 3 Celebrity Retreats; both are good but Celebrity Retreat was not up to the same service level in terms of attentiveness and friendliness, and we never were that impressed with Luminae as a restaurant.  In most respects (taking into consideration size of ship differences) Explora is a better product from our experience.

Gary, you've been on Crystal and to me the Explora experience is closer to Crystal than Celebrity, in terms of passenger load, multiple dining options, and friendly service.  You'll see threads in this forum debating the comparison (I think of Crystal as a more high-end option than Explora FWIW, and similarly priced). 

Not sure how else to phrase it, but Explora is still in development and may end up quite different than it currently is.  With more established lines there is a lot more consistency to the product (e.g. in December the cafe on Explora had the Portuguese custard tarts "pasteis de nata" but not last week onboard, whereas you can always count on them being available and great on Crystal).  Likewise, have heard rumors that Explora's Anthology concept is on the chopping block; rotating different famous Michelin starred chefs through is hard, charging 190 euros sets a high expectation, and doesn't seem to be working out that well (we experienced two of those chefs, and one was amazing and the other time was worse than other options on Explora).  Entertainment was horrible early on, but now has improved a lot.  Reviewing Explora is a moving target!

Looking forward to seeing your writeup if you go on Explora; I appreciate your perspective.

Thanks much appreciate your input

Enjoy

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone that shared on this stream.  I have continued to read other posts on Explora Journey.  As NCL had done with Oceania Cruises. MSC has realized that the Yacht Club is nice but not enough to bring in a client that is looking for a more intimate journey.  I used Oceania as an example but I could have used Princess or Viking.  

The key is a smaller ship, better personalization with the guests, and up tick in the quality/delivery of dining, and bar service. For true cruise fans, looking and studying different brands and how the compare to each other is fascinating to me. Each brand does something different.  Example: Explora Journey Adult Unlimited Drink Package is for all guests.  No need to show your room card.  Oceania Cruise has Wine and Beer at lunch and dinner.  You can pay extra to upgrade to Unlimited Drink programs.  The hassle is showing your card each time you gain a drink. Regent Seven Seas Cruise claims to be completely all inclusive including most excursion's. Explora does not provide excursions but does provide buses to the city center; Oceania NOW provides 300-400 credit pre guest for excursions but does not always provide buses to city center. Positive and Negatives to all however it is always reflected in the fare one way or another. Lots more difference but all I wanted to do was make a point. 

My initial feelings with just a few days research is Explora Journey is simply attempting to get their sea legs.  Historically, each time a new approach to cruising has happened, those learning curves also happened.  Great companies listen to what the guests actually say and make changes.  This same concept of gaining sea legs happened to the NCL with the Haven, Celebrity with the Retreat, Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection initially and ever Virgin Cruises.  When the consistence and changes happen over time, I fully expect the fares to rise and the ships to be sold out. 

This offering is seems to be more like Luxury vs Ultra-Luxury.  A comparison to Crystal was made and I can see that from all I have read. The difference for me is the new Crystal fares compared to the current Explora Journey make Explora Journey the current value.  That is my take so far feed back welcomed.

• Like 2

We are big fans and have another cruise booked in December.  Great food, great service and I love the layout of the ship.  There is a place for everyone.  I went on the Christmas cruise and they had around 700 people.  There was no deterioration in service.  The one challenge was trying to get into the steakhouse and the Japanese restaurant the second time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

to stghrgary I remember you did like Crystal . 

I did + 100 cruises vast majority on luxury lines - Hapag Lloyd , Crystal , Regent , Silversea , Seabourn   - I did Oceania in PH and Celebrity in Retreat and MSC in Yacht Club 

I made one Explora and never again ! Please read my review " failure of luxury" 

I did cancel my 2nd booked cruise during the second day on the ship - despite it is a beautiful ship with some mistakes - like a very small bathroom in a penthouse what is just a very big suite as real "penthouse"  items are for residences on EJ 

F&B operations on EJ are far inferior as on Crystal ...  unless bread and pastries are the most important item   and the same menu every day in the restaurants unless you want to go to the buffet for diner on a daily base. 

EJ is doing a lot to encourage TA to promote  the brand ,  diner presentations on land   and free cruises with functions on board ... sorry but that is the truth 

The complimentary wines are so poor that vast majority of the guests is drinking Champagne. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

If I knew how to write, I would have written what johng75370 wrote.  Adding included wines are worse than any cruise line we've sailed.  Even Seabourn has something drinkable for a meal or two.  And such limited whisky selection.  An upward adjustment should have been made by now.  

Next bookings will go to Crystal.  If you have never tried Explora, it is totally worth checking out.  Three Explora cruises totaling 59 days when we depart in Miami.  No more SS or SB.  H-L and Explora still in the mix for future.

Edited by saminina

It's interesting how different people can have such different impressions of the same cruise ship.  We loved our sailing on Explora and felt the food was better than our most recent sailings on Regent and Oceania and can rightfully boast the best buffet at sea.

Lets face it, the complimentary wines on nearly every cruise ship are not at all worth writing home about.  For an example, the complimentary wine list on our Regent Splendor cruise last year was replete with wines rating between 86-88 averaging about $14 a bottle (normal retail).  That not a knock on Regent--just a snapshot of what the state of wine on nearly all cruise ships are across the industry.

As for a "limited whisky selection", true.  There are only two Scotch single malts in the complimentary whiskies list in the Whisky Bar. However, the Glenmorangie 10 year is not a bad dram if that's what your left with.  However, if you like the peated, Islay Scotches, then the Arbeg An OA is a very nice Scotch.  Now, beyond the complimentary whiskies, there are the several nice whiskies that I'd easily call upon.  The Macallan Terra for 24 Euros is more than a fair price as is the Glenmorangie Signet for 25.

Don't know anything about the penthouses, but for us, when the basic veranda is 377 square feet, it's really not a consideration for us.

Is the ship perfect?  No.  Yet, that is a boast that no ship can live up to.  I do believe that it easily competes with Viking (food is light years ahead of our cruise on the Viking Sky) and Oceania.  It reaches to Regent levels--especially in food.  Although it does not include complimentary excursions--it also doesn't include the much higher fares that Regent demands as well.

We have already booked on the Explora 2.  

My two cents. . .

Your mileage may vary. . .

• Like 3

Not knocking Glenmorangie.   Not a fan of poured shots, so watching a barman ever using a shot glass is the first obstacle to overcome when paying for a premium whisky.   You forgot Ballantine's as being on the included list.  A distant second choice.  It's nice to have Ardbeg, but it's beyond my pallet.

Looking at included red wines on the list, average retail is $9. USD.   If they retailed for $20, it would not change my opinion.  The premium wines that could tempt me are grossly overpriced.

It's not a big deal to supply my own.  As I do with bathroom paper products and (first time this cruise) butter.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, saminina said:

Not knocking Glenmorangie.   Not a fan of poured shots, so watching a barman ever using a shot glass is the first obstacle to overcome when paying for a premium whisky.   You forgot Ballantine's as being on the included list.  A distant second choice.  It's nice to have Ardbeg, but it's beyond my pallet.

Looking at included red wines on the list, average retail is $9. USD.   If they retailed for $20, it would not change my opinion.  The premium wines that could tempt me are grossly overpriced.

It's not a big deal to supply my own.  As I do with bathroom paper products and (first time this cruise) butter.  

If you are speaking of toilet paper, you should not bring your own.  I’ve read here many times that the supplied toilet paper is designed for the ship’s plumbing system.  You run the risk of toilet blockages if you use regular toilet paper, inconveniencing not only yourself but also likely your neighbors.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saminina said:

It's not a big deal to supply my own.  As I do with bathroom paper products

I hope you don't flush them!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not a travel agent or influencer. We loved our Explora cruise and can’t wait to go again. 
We have been on all of the luxury cruise lines and the price range for complimentary wines is usually under $20. 
We enjoy collecting wine and drink better wines at home however we can always find something to enjoy. 
We have two different couples who cruised with Regent in March and were disappointed in the food and service. 
I believe Explora will continue to improve. Cheers, Heather 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Maggie 1008 said:

I am not a travel agent or influencer. We loved our Explora cruise and can’t wait to go again. 
We have been on all of the luxury cruise lines and the price range for complimentary wines is usually under $20. 
We enjoy collecting wine and drink better wines at home however we can always find something to enjoy. 
We have two different couples who cruised with Regent in March and were disappointed in the food and service. 

Absolutely agree 

6 hours ago, Maggie 1008 said:

Thank you!

I too am neither an agent nor an influencer. I pay full whack for all my cruises. 

Maybe I’m a simpleton but I often wonder if people were blind tasting would their opinions of wines change?

As a Scot I can argue about Whisky from a position of knowledge. In our view the included whisky is very acceptable and a cut above what many cruise lines offer as included. There’s a lot of misplaced “snobbery” about whisky and wines. Whisky is hugely affected by clever marketing in North America and not necessarily quality. 

We have more cruises booked on Explora because the food and service ticks our boxes, the rooms are great (like most Europeans the idea of two bathroom sinks never crossed our minds)   They do need to sort the entertainment out, relying on two average singers is not the way to go and they need to define the “cruise director” role. They’ve gone from a “me me look at me” to the “Invisible One”. When they hit the middle ground and change the program and performers that will be great. 

We are all different and there should be a cruise line for everyone but I wonder  if some expectations here can only be delivered on a private yacht with the guest completely controlling the inventory but ignoring the price point 😃😃

• Like 7

21 hours ago, saminina said:

If I knew how to write, I would have written what johng75370 wrote.  Adding included wines are worse than any cruise line we've sailed.  Even Seabourn has something drinkable for a meal or two.  And such limited whisky selection.  An upward adjustment should have been made by now.  

Next bookings will go to Crystal.  If you have never tried Explora, it is totally worth checking out.  Three Explora cruises totaling 59 days when we depart in Miami.  No more SS or SB.  H-L and Explora still in the mix for future.

i said farewell to SS as well with many thanks to RCI 

and I do not like Duval Leroy bubbles  at all !

Is the luxury segment still luxurious ?