Silver Cloud Live ... June 9-19 from the Kimberley!

jpalbny

2 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

The names of their other wines look intriguing as well (Penury, Das Sakrileg and Chagrin).  😁

@drron29 may need to try a few of these!

The producer (AJ Hoadley) seems to have quite a sense of humour not found elsewhere within oenology. The Ye-Ye Grise was just superb and whilst not in any way pretentious or French, it pushed every button for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

JP, we flew the 5th longest flight, Aukland to JFK, but with a tailwind we made it in under 15 hours.

Our Duolingo streaks are only 4 1/2 and 3 years.  If you do not want to use a streak freeze, and you do not have internet access up front where you fly (😉), you can set the time zone on your phone ahead before you fly, or back after you land, and do a "Friday" lesson.

My Duolingo streak is only 86 days, but I've been studying Norwegian.

• Like 4

Have a fabulous trip JP...look forward to seeing your pics as I will be there in August.

Enjoy the worlds' longest flight on Singapore Airlines - it's on my bucket list!

Cheers

Jennifer

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Just over 48h until liftoff. Had to chat online with Singapore Airlines this morning,  because the website was being wonky, but I got the meal choices that we wanted. 

Tonight after work we decided to pack our suitcases. Dora protested vigorously. We'll miss her. Unless she manages to sneak into the suitcases tonight.

20240604_204550.thumb.jpg.3bbc9ce82ab86f141be7646b6417367e.jpg

We're going to check our bags this trip, because we're bringing a few gallons of sunscreen. It goes against my principles but it will be easier to deal. 

Now, what are we forgetting? Better remember soon, or we'll have to buy it. 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 10

20 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Just over 48h until liftoff. Had to chat online with Singapore Airlines this morning,  because the website was being wonky, but I got the meal choices that we wanted. 

Tonight after work we decided to pack our suitcases. Dora protested vigorously. We'll miss her. Unless she manages to sneak into the suitcases tonight.

20240604_204550.thumb.jpg.3bbc9ce82ab86f141be7646b6417367e.jpg

We're going to check our bags this trip, because we're bringing a few gallons of sunscreen. It goes against my principles but it will be easier to deal. 

Now, what are we forgetting? Better remember soon, or we'll have to buy it. 

Not long now JP! Is Dora airtagged? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Life was so much better in the 1950s, when our heroes' clay feet were never exposed on the internet.  JP and Chris checking luggage!  What is the world coming to!  O Tempora, O  Mores!  [as Flanders and Swann translated:  Oh Times! Oh Daily Mirror!]  🤣

[Next you'll be telling me that Mickey Mantle was an alcoholic.  Say it ain't so!]

• Haha 3

Have a wonderful trip, jp and Chris.  I even envy your flight; it will be almost like being in  a luxury hotel, wonderfully looked after,  I remember flights just in Business, when they celebrated my birthday as a complete surprise to me, and fed me delicious meals.  And to be able to stretch out and sleep well - heaven.  

Looking forward to living it with you.

Lola

• Thanks 1

Hi JP, wishing you and Chris a fantastic time.....no doubt about it, as you always do. And looking forward to following along as well.😀

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hello from JFK T4, Centurion Lounge! We made it. And our plane arrived on time. 

We worked half of the day, then picked up a one-way rental at ALB airport. Home for a few hours to finish preparing for being away for the long trip. Lots of last-minute stuff to do, aNd I'm sure we forgot something! But we still had time for a lap around the block, and a shower, which our fellow passengers might appreciate for the next 18 hours. 

Set off about 3:45 and drove through some torrential downpours on the Thruway, but it cleared by Westchester County. Just in time for the traffic! We made a small detour to gas up the rental near JFK, and got back to Hertz just before 7PM. 

Quick AirTrain ride to T4, then a wrong turn before we found the SQ check-in desks. Not a bad wait. Security was slow, but we were in the lounge shortly afterwards. We got a prime table in the Speakeasy, despite it looking very crowded in the main club.

20240606_203503.thumb.jpg.811ae4e65b72684d9a42cdea94c7e1e1.jpg

Snacks, cocktails, and a smidge of wine for good measure. The vacation has started! And Chris is advertising Silversea. 

20240606_203229.thumb.jpg.e7b9bad6f19dcd18175929add44ffbd3.jpg

Ninety minutes to boarding. Looking forward to experiencing Singapore Airlines for the first time! More from the air, Wi-Fi allowing. Time for some Duolingo.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Hope you two have a great trip!  My single Singapore Airlines flight was a long one too, but my memories are good, particularly of on-board service - so hopefully yours will be too.

• Thanks 1

Bon voyage JP and Chris.  I plan to stay in bed until you land, since that checked luggage may indeed foretell the End of the World [at least "as we know it"] 🤣

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Hoping the flight is living up to your expectations, and you are also getting a bit of shut-eye.

Not yet, Lola. Having too much fun.

The garlic bread is very tasty. And the Champagne is delicious! I will try to stay up as long as I can, and sleep more during the second half of the flight. At least that's the plan for now!

• Like 6

Safe travels JP and Chris.  Look forward to your reports (but enjoying yourselves is more important).

Karin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am guessing ya'll are in Business Class......isn't Singapore Airlines supposed to have some the nicest in the industry? Hope it is all that and more. When do you actually arrive?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Lois, we arrive in Singapore around 5AM Saturday (local time) which will be 5PM New York time. We'll have about 3h for a layover, then we fly another 4.5h to Darwin. The time will move ahead 1.5 hours so we'll arrive there around 2:30PM (which will be 1AM home time).

Just over 8h to go in this monster flight. We passed over the outer Aleutians, and along Kamchatka, and will be approaching Japan next. Our plane is located where it says "Pacific Ocean."

20240607_085804.thumb.jpg.721975fc67daf66a38d604a5df145cf8.jpg

The business-class seats are comfortable and they recline nicely for resting, but if you want to sleep then you pull the seat forward and it lies flat. If you're much taller than I am, the bed may seem short.

The food was good, but not a huge amount. I had some shrimp dumplings in a thin but flavorful broth, with noodles and lots of delicious garlic chips. I couldn't decide between the Piper-Heidseick or the German Riesling, so I had both. I made up for the light entree by having extra garlic bread - it was delicious!

20240607_003259.thumb.jpg.0fc29f262a485ab0b707b0196174d780.jpg

I stayed up about 5h and watched a movie, then slept for a couple of hours. I'll nap again after our next meal, since it's getting to be bedtime at our destination.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 13

Posted (edited)

Hi JP,

Times always confuse me, but if I’m in time as your stop is short, you may be interested in the largely unknown Singapore Food Street in the wonderful Changi.  Airline lounges are tempting but this might be worthwhile.  It use to be mostly airport staff but do not know what it’a like now.

https://www.changiairport.com/en/dine/dining-directory/singapore-food-street.html

or even better Delta Cafe for staff but that will happily let you eat there. A bit of real Singapore without leaving the airport but is a bit  limited range and canteen’ish.

https://www.changiairport.com/corporate/media-centre/changijourneys/connecting-lives/sneak-peek-into-changis-first-airside-cafe-for-airport-staff.html

Try both ….. 🙂

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Thanks 1

SO excited your trip has begun, not just because I always look forward to reading your trip reports, but also because we are doing the exact same itinerary in July, and because I know that the stuff you all enjoy is the same stuff that George and I like.  So I am awaiting all your advise.

I thought our trip was long, but you have us beat.  We fly Tulsa to LAX then LAX to Sydney, spend 2 days in Sydney then on to Darwin.  

Have a great time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

jpalbny, wondering if you can tell me if Silversea is providing a charter flight from Broome to Perth.  I will be on the Cloud at the end of the month and my confirmation shows only the transfer from the pier to the airport and from the airport to the hotel in Perth.  It doesn't indicate how we are getting from Broome to Perth.  I seem to be missing some information.  Hope you are enjoying your trip!  Thanks.

Edited by PANK of Three
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PANK of Three said:

jpalbny, wondering if you can tell me if Silversea is providing a charter flight from Broome to Perth.  I will be on the Cloud at the end of the month and my confirmation shows only the transfer from the pier to the airport and from the airport to the hotel in Perth.  It doesn't indicate how we are getting from Broome to Perth.  I seem to be missing some information.  Hope you are enjoying your trip!  Thanks.

I believe the flight from Broome to Perth is included only if you are getting air through Silversea.  JP and I had discussed this previously.  On our trip, my TA has a large group going, so she negotiated with Silversea to include this flight, but normally it is not included if you do your own air is my understanding. 

• Like 1

RachelG, thanks for chiming in!  I spent an hour on the phone with Silversea and they said it was an IT error and my electronic tickets should show the included charter flight (even though I am door-to-door with flight credit).  Hopefully I will get an updated electronic ticket early next confirming this.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PANK of Three said:

No, there is no charter flight. Flights are commercial flights to Perth. You can make the morning flight easily. Note that Broome is a small airport and check in only opens an hour or two before each flight.  Qantas and Virgin are the airlines.

NB. I booked door-to-door, so Silversea had booked the flights I wanted.  But they were booked on a commercial airline.  If you took the air credit and booked your own international flights, I would think you have to book BME-PER yourself.

Edited by Port Power
  • Thanks 1