Candle or no candle on cake

Posted (edited)

Will our piece of anniversary celebration cake in the mdr have a candle on it? An old post from 2020 showed a candle. A recent post said her husband did not have a candle on his birthday cake due to fire hazard. Just curious what to expect. Tia. 😊

Edited by 1965

16 minutes ago, dog said:

Had candle years ago, but table mate said she would not eat piece as germs spread if blowing out!!

amazing ... 

like a candle in the wind

• Haha 2

I believe we're not supposed to have candles of any type due to the danger of open flames on a cruise ship. It's probably best to read the list of prohibited items we're not allowed to bring on the ship to be sure.

No candle, but lots of singing! My daughter got engaged onboard a couple of years ago and they brought a beautiful plate of desserts and champagne, including love boat dream. And they sang a love song. Plenty celebratory without the candle!

• Like 2

On a cruise this winter, I added my husband's birthday and our wedding anniversary (they're the same day) into the app, where it asks if you're celebrating any special occasions during the trip. During the chef's table dinner we did, the staff brought out small cakes for everyone at the table who was celebrating an occasion - birthday, anniversary, retirement, etc. This was done concurrently with the dessert service. It was a whole small round chocolate cake, maybe 6" diameter?

Because I'd listed both occasions, my husband and I each ended up with one of those cakes in front of us, alongside a glass of dessert wine, a small plate of chocolates and petits fours, AND the actual dessert portion of the meal. Lesson learned 😬

No candles that I can recall on those cakes, though!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Moondogy said:

Fire hazard....that was the reason they also stopped the baked alaska parade. 

They still do the baked Alaska parade but instead of candles, they now have those little tea lights.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 1965 said:

Just curious what to expect. Tia. 😊

Birthday cake recently on Royal Princess:

1009_20240325_203919.thumb.jpg.461eec48b2d9369c799f18fd0b839a46.jpg

Edited by EDVM96

15 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

They still do the baked Alaska parade but instead of candles, they now have those little tea lights.  

Not on our last 2 cruises. They just had it on the menu and brought it sliced if you ordered it.

16 minutes ago, Moondogy said:

Not on our last 2 cruises. They just had it on the menu and brought it sliced if you ordered it.

Correct. And no more parade.

Baked Alaska recently on the Royal Princess:

1075_20240328_205535.thumb.jpg.dd5a8f12767e86cd1b73292c602a93da.jpg

2 hours ago, Moondogy said:

They were still doing the dopey Baked Alaska Parade on Island as of December of 2023.  It may vary by ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moondogy said:

Once dining changed to DMW, perhaps it was missed by some of the diners, as it was only done once per night and maybe even only in a specific main dining room.  We’ve definitely seen it several times since the restart.  I remember thinking that flinging napkins around in the air wasn’t the safest practice.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, voljeep said:

amazing ... 

like a candle in the wind

Mayby covid had something to do with the candels being eliminated.

Either way, no thanks. 

• Like 1