Infinite Veranda question

Bxc53

57 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is it possible there is a fan still running even when AC is not cooling?  I can do that at home.  I am not an engineer so I tend to believe the 1,000 people who say it shuts off versus the 1 person who says it keeps running.

Today's "Voice of Reason" award goes to Zitsky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

100%WRONG and the video is lying. I have been on all ALL E-Class ships, INCLUDING the Ascent in january, and the IV cabins ALL operate the same way There's absolutely NOTHING within the bifold doors that control anything, they are purely cosmetic. What MAY be happening is residual airflow but you can be sure that the AC is SHUT OFF. I don't understand why people enjoy lying and making false claims. I go through this every time I'm on an E-class ship.

If not the bi-fold doors, is it only the window that has this control?

10 minutes ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Zitsky, here are a couple of photos taken from the open window of the IV. To get similar views from a regular balcony, I would have needed to go out to the balcony railing. I also enjoyed the relative privacy of a solid wall between us and our neighbours, rather than the balcony dividers. 
Hope this will give you an idea.

IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0393.jpeg

IMG_0483.jpeg

IMG_0506.jpeg

Beautiful photos!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ergates The Ant said:

here are a couple of photos taken from the open window of the IV. 

Nice photos.  I've not been in one yet - July.  But I'm traveling during the beginning of hurricane season.  I saw a comment where someone was in bad storms their entire trip, and she felt like the veranda set up allowed her to enjoy the space & views without looking past a wet and windy balcony she couldn't use.   Due to that experience she stated she will only choose this type going forward. 

I question if these 'verandas' are built on lower levels than what cruise lines place the regular balconies.  I saw one video in a storm where it looked like the waves might go over the floor of the balcony.  I'm booked on the 6th level & that gave me a little pause after seeing that video.

30 minutes ago, Liao said:

If not the bi-fold doors, is it only the window that has this control?

Correct. There's a contact sensor on the left hand window track that's the control for the HVAC. It's not right at the top, maybe 5" more or less down from the very top of the window track,which is why you can lower the window several inches without triggering the HVAC switch. 

What people seem to forget is the IV cabin was never meant to be a real outdoor veranda, notwithstanding Celebrity marketing. It really is only a cabin with a window that opens. People want to devise all these 'fix' scenarios about making the bifold doors airtight, waterproofing the end of the cabin,etc. in order to achieve what they want. But that's all fantasy and just garbage talk because they fail to comprehend that the cabin is all an interior room with a window. All the 'fixes' people dream up doesn't make sense from an engineering perspective because it was never meant to be an outdoor cabin. If they Celebrity wanted to a balcony cabin, they would use regular balcony sliding doors. The 'solution' to the IV issue people are proposing would be akin to taking a traditional balcony cabin and putting a window along the balcony railing. Why would anyone do that?  Look at what Royal Caribbean did on the Icon. Those IV cabins don't have bifold doors, they have curtains that's you can either close to create the illusion of a separate space or tie the curtains back to open up the space. 

• Like 1

My.favorite class in my MBA program was Marketing because I learned how you could frame a story in almost any way.  That can benefit the consumer or be deceptive.  Contract law was my second favorite.

Whoever thought up the name “infinite veranda” deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.  Or maybe they should be thrown overboard.  I’m not sure.

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Correct. There's a contact sensor on the left hand window track that's the control for the HVAC. It's not right at the top, maybe 5" more or less down from the very top of the window track,which is why you can lower the window several inches without triggering the HVAC switch. 

What people seem to forget is the IV cabin was never meant to be a real outdoor veranda, notwithstanding Celebrity marketing. It really is only a cabin with a window that opens. People want to devise all these 'fix' scenarios about making the bifold doors airtight, waterproofing the end of the cabin,etc. in order to achieve what they want. But that's all fantasy and just garbage talk because they fail to comprehend that the cabin is all an interior room with a window. All the 'fixes' people dream up doesn't make sense from an engineering perspective because it was never meant to be an outdoor cabin. If they Celebrity wanted to a balcony cabin, they would use regular balcony sliding doors. The 'solution' to the IV issue people are proposing would be akin to taking a traditional balcony cabin and putting a window along the balcony railing. Why would anyone do that?  Look at what Royal Caribbean did on the Icon. Those IV cabins don't have bifold doors, they have curtains that's you can either close to create the illusion of a separate space or tie the curtains back to open up the space. 

Excellent explanation, thank you!  While I’m here, may I also say that I really appreciate so many of your comments here.  You are obviously a very seasoned cruiser, and you seem to share your expertise in such a helpful and well thought manner. Always very helpful and informative!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

Nice photos.  I've not been in one yet - July.  But I'm traveling during the beginning of hurricane season.  I saw a comment where someone was in bad storms their entire trip, and she felt like the veranda set up allowed her to enjoy the space & views without looking past a wet and windy balcony she couldn't use.   Due to that experience she stated she will only choose this type going forward. 

I question if these 'verandas' are built on lower levels than what cruise lines place the regular balconies.  I saw one video in a storm where it looked like the waves might go over the floor of the balcony.  I'm booked on the 6th level & that gave me a little pause after seeing that video.

Those are generically called hull balconies. Porthole verandas on E-Class ships are also considered hull balcony cabins even though they are higher up. They are what the name implies,a balcony that's behind and within the the hull of the ship. Traditional cruiseship balconies are attached to the outer hull of the ship,so you actually step out beyond the ship onto a metal balcony structure. The sliding balcony doors are in the hull, so you step out of the ship onto your outside balcony. Carnival's new Excel class ships have many of these at the waterline hull balcony cabins. 

image.png.4fbf25744d5590192fae51f11a6063b8.png

Edited by kwokpot

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

My.favorite class in my MBA program was Marketing because I learned how you could frame a story in almost any way.  That can benefit the consumer or be deceptive.  Contract law was my second favorite.

Whoever thought up the name “infinite veranda” deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.  Or maybe they should be thrown overboard.  I’m not sure.

IMG_7090.jpeg

Just got off the June 9th beyond sailing. First time in an IV cabin. Never again we will stick with s class ships. We had cabin 9151, no noise issues, an occasional pop, that’s it. We prefer a true balcony.

IVs cabins are labeled incorrectly, it’s just a room with a large window.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Altamar said:

Just got off the June 9th beyond sailing. First time in an IV cabin. Never again we will stick with s class ships. We had cabin 9151, no noise issues, an occasional pop, that’s it. We prefer a true balcony.

IVs cabins are labeled incorrectly, it’s just a room with a large window.

Call them whatever you want. Bottom line is Celebrity doesn’t appear to have any trouble selling them out on every cruise. 

16 minutes ago, Kelownadon said:

Call them whatever you want. Bottom line is Celebrity doesn’t appear to have any trouble selling them out on every cruise. 

But repeat customers? That’s harder to judge.  There are a lot of us in the “One and done” club

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kelownadon said:

We've been able to consistently pick up IV rooms for the minimum bid via move up over the last couple years so if they're full it may not be because people are paying full price for them.  We like IV well enough but no way we'd spend full price for one. 

Edited by Tigerfnan23
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kelownadon said:

Sure, when you have no other choice. That doesn’t mean that everyone likes them. 

8 hours ago, Kelownadon said:

We won't know until X introduces a new class of ship to replace "M" class how successful IV's have been.

Not one major cruise line has followed X's lead and introduced ships where the vast majority of the cabins don't have real balconies.

Viking, the only major cruise line to have extensive experience of IV's, chose not to have to have them on any of it's main Ocean Cruise ships 9the exception being a small expedition vessel).

On 6/12/2024 at 6:21 PM, ScottC4746 said:

So my review of CS Edge 11177 is this:

We went into the reservation dreading what we were going to find.  Once we opened the door, we liked it.  They made the room feel brighter and more spacious.

PRO: Being in Alaska we could "sit on the verandah" and not freeze.  I am sure the opposite is true for the Caribbean where it is too hot and humid to enjoy the verandah.  The room felt bigger and certainly was brighter.

CONS: The cross bar was right in eyesight when sitting. The window was slow to open as was the shade.  Whoever is up first couldn't peek out to see where we were without having to bring the shade up and waking the other person.

DECISION:  We will be fine in an infinite verandah on future cruises.

Thanks for a balanced review presenting both the food and bad. Looks like that didn’t save you from arguments, you seem to be getting it from both sides. We sure are a tough crowd lol

On 6/13/2024 at 10:33 AM, kwokpot said:

100%WRONG and the video is lying. I have been on all ALL E-Class ships, INCLUDING the Ascent in january, and the IV cabins ALL operate the same way There's absolutely NOTHING within the bifold doors that control anything, they are purely cosmetic. What MAY be happening is residual airflow but you can be sure that the AC is SHUT OFF. I don't understand why people enjoy lying and making false claims. I go through this every time I'm on an E-class ship.

“Lying” seems a bit harsh, especially in light of what appears to be confusion over fan vs AC. Not every incorrect statement is a lie, some people are simply mistaken. That appears to be the case here.

I get that many people don’t like IV cabins. I’m not a fan myself and always have to book E class early so I get a true balcony without having to spring for a suite.  Personally I think it was an epic fail for X to try out IV’s with a 90% presence for the first time, instead of 25 or even 50%.  However, if you like your traditional balconies, you need lots of people to like IV’s….at least for the time being until X changes it’s E class model or introduces an entirely new class with fewer IV cabins. So let people like and promote them. It does you more good than harm. 

First time in an Infinite Balcony cabin to Norway in May, and we loved it. We have a cruise booked for October, to western Spain and Portugal, Royal Caribbean in a regular balcony cabin. I’ll be sure to make a detailed comparison. It will be interesting to see how we find it.

1 hour ago, debgreg said:

We have booked an outside on Ascent. We aren’t really bothered about a balcony as we are sleep, shower out kinda people, but considering bidding for an upgrade bid for extra space, what decks are outside on and are they ok ? 

I don’t understand your question. You have booked an outside? So you have booked an infinite veranda?

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 8:58 PM, Kelownadon said:

The marketing is very seductive. Knowing what I know about the A/C system on cruise ships with traditional balconies I thought that when the partition was closed that the A/C would remain on in the room as it does when the sliding door is closed on a traditional balcony. After speaking to a friend who assumed the same thing when he booked an ABC island cruise in June on Beyond, I decided to book my next cruise on an S class ship after he told me of his experience. They may be nice for a cooler weather itinerary but in the Caribbean it would be a waste of money to book anything more than the lowest priced stateroom or anything lower than a suite. If I want to look out of a window I'll just stay home or book a cheap ocean view room on another line or different class Celebrity ship.

Edited by Iamcruzin

28 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The marketing is very seductive. Knowing what I know about the A/C system on cruise ships with traditional balconies I thought that when the partition was closed that the A/C would remain on in the room as it does when the sliding door is closed on a traditional balcony. After speaking to a friend who assumed the same thing when he booked an ABC island cruise in June on Beyond, I decided to book my next cruise on an S class ship after he told me of his experience. They may be nice for a cooler weather itinerary but in the Caribbean it would be a waste of money to book anything more than the lowest priced stateroom or anything lower than a suite. If I want to look out of a window I'll just stay home or book a cheap ocean view room on another line or different class Celebrity ship.

I agree the marketing is deceptive. The bifold doors are nothing more than room dividers,to create the illusion of a separate space. They aren't airtight or waterproof,and they were never meant to be like traditional balcony sliding doors. Again, an IV cabin is an overview cabin except the window opens. You are never outside. For people  who wonder what's it like next time you're in a traditional balcony cabin leave the balcony door open and SIT INSIDE in your cabin next to the open balcony door. That's about how it is in an IV cabin.

Just now, kwokpot said:

I agree the marketing is deceptive. The bifold doors are nothing more than room dividers,to create the illusion of a separate space. They aren't airtight or waterproof,and they were never meant to be like traditional balcony sliding doors. Again, an IV cabin is an overview cabin except the window opens. You are never outside. For people  who wonder what's it like next time you're in a traditional balcony cabin leave the balcony door open and SIT INSIDE in your cabin next to the open balcony door. That's about how it is in an IV cabin.

Don't forget to disable the air conditioning when you try this!

14 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

You gave me a great idea!  

I just ordered a partition for my master bedroom.  You know, one of those antique Japanese screens.  It was very expensive but hey, according to Celebrity, it will make my room BIGGER.  I figure it will add at least 25% to the room size.   If it works for cruise ships, why not at home?

😂😂😂

• Haha 3