mardi gras or vista

we are looking at the mardi gras going to Nassau, Grand Turk and Amber Cove or Vista going to Half Moon Cay , Grand Turk and Amber Cove. Which ship has better pools?  is Half Moon Cay good?

Mardi Gras is Carnival's flagship. I would much rather go to Half Moon Cay than Nassau however and I don't think anyone would disagree with that. So it really depends, are you more of a ship cruiser or a destination cruiser. If the ship is your destination, then Mardi Gras. If you're more interested in the ports of call, then Vista.

Frankly although I love Half Moon Cay I don't hate Nassau and I am more of a ship as the destination cruiser anyway so I'd pick Mardi Gras.

• Like 4

I'd got to HMC over Nassau every day and twice on Sunday. Nassau is fine, we normally go to Blue Lagoon when we go there, but we love HMC. 

Though HMC (at least for now) is a tender port, so there's always a chance you'll miss it if there's weather or rough seas. 

I haven't been on Mardi Gras, so can't comment on the pools.

• Like 2

Mardi Gras hands down.  Even the itinerary in this case would not sway the other way. 

We have been to HMC many times as well as Nassau but we are kind of over the tender thing for HMC (even with first ferry over if we want it no longer appeals to us) and it is 50/50 now if we get off the ship for HMC.  I think it mattered more when DS was little and it was a beach day.  

• Like 1

I was just on the Vista a month ago after the refurb and going again in November.   

I’ll be going on MG  in January and in February which will be my 4th and 5th time on MG. 

Vista’s food was EXCEPTIONAL. In fact, I cannot recall the last time I had food this good on a cruise.  Of course the ports on Vista of St Thomas, St Martin and San Juan were so much better than the ports for MG.  I’m tired of MG’s ports.  HMC is fine but since I can no longer afford a cabana and there’s little shade, not really interested anymore.  

Even so, I am looking forward to seeing the shows on MG.  

As others have stated, it depends on what you’re into.  

• Like 2

As others have said, Mardi Gras hands down.  Have sailed on her four times and her sister ship the Celebration five times.

The only positive that the Vista has over the Excel Class ships is the Havana area at the aft section of deck five.  If you're thinking of Havana, then the Vista would be my choice.  Every other aspect would be the Mardi Gras.

If you're not familiar with the Havana area, the room choices are inside, balcony, or suite.  No kids are allowed in the area.  You need to be 13 to stay in the area.  There is a private pool, two hot tubs and two tiki huts.  Really nice way to relax the day away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

For us, we would take a Havana cabin on a Vista Class ship over the Excel Class. Wouldn't book the Havana area on the Excel Class. 😎

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 2

what are issues with a havana balcony on the mardi gras?  we almost booked an interior to save money, but then decided to try the havana balcony. maybe we should switch 

On Vista now, in the Havana area. It’s exceptional! The absolute best way to cruise. 

If you’re not looking at Havana cabins, then MG is awesome, but if you’re wanting a nice pool area in that section, then choose Vista…MG/Celebration/Jubilee Havana areas are a joke. Even some if the staff on here joke about it when it comes up. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

You do know the Havana area is substantially different on the Excel Class ships versus the Vista Class ships?

And not in a good way. 😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chloebell1 said:

what are issues with a havana balcony on the mardi gras?  we almost booked an interior to save money, but then decided to try the havana balcony. maybe we should switch 

Personally I would book an interior on the Excel Class and invest the savings in Cheers or excursions 

On the Vista ships, the Havana consists of two hot tubs and and a large pool over looking the aft wake.  On the Excel, it's reduced to a postage stamp sized pool and no hot tubs.  Also on starboard side of deck 8.

Posted (edited)

We have done the Havana balcony on MG, loved it!  We cannot cruise in back of ship due to DH motion sickness (not good even with patch) so the Havana on MG worked out great (not aft of ship).  Still has the "balcony/patio" for the cabin with a gate that leads down to a bigger balcony/walk way (ours had loungers in front of our patio). We never went to serenity becasue it was nice to enjoy our own patio or lounger with a bar right down the walk way just for our area.  

The Havana bar was near the plunge pool (I do not use public pools or hot tubs but DH loved the pool for just hanging out) and a nice outside bar setup with couches, chairs and loungers for Havana passengers only.   No kids under 12 allowed in these cabins.  

We spent a lot of time in this area and it was never packed, got drinks very quick and had as many loungers as we wanted.  Plus on MG the Havana area is on deck 8 and that is where most of what we needed or wanted was for most part (restaurants etc).  The excel ships are our favs by far.  

Edited by Drazil65

7 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

No matter the itinerary I'd pick Mardi Gras over the Vista...

THIS!!  I remember when vista came out many didnt like it. Now they seem to be ok with it but changes made from previous carnival ships. Used to be you coukd walk thru deck 5, I really enjoyed walking through and seeing the ocean. Starting with vista they closed up the view. They cut the theater in half, now if you are late you are apt to sit behind a pole. Also the size of the comedy club was cut. They have to mick everyone out and you can get in line for the next show. 

The havana area was a big hit and to some if you book the Havana area it's worth it, but the dream class still has the best spa and T pool. I also prefer the conquest class. ..vista and the new italian are my bottom, last choices. Vista has the bbq outside and the last time I did it, the wind was whipping and drying it out. The next ship of this class they moved it inside. 

I've done vista at least twice before you say idk what I'm talking about. It's just not my cup of tea. It's only worth it if you are booking Havana area. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

The Mardi Gras is so much better than Vista (in every way I can think of) that I would agree (I wouldn't even care the itenerary).

Vista has Mardi Gras on Asian restaurants, IMAX theaters, sports only sports bars, and secret decks.

Havana balcony topic piqued our interest...so watched a few YouTube vids...and the issue that screams out [as we watched]...is PRIVACY.  The vloggers we watched didn't seem to mind it, but these cabins are premium cost...right?   Mardi Gras looks like a great ship [dining really looks interesting with so many venues]...but the Havana cabins...well, suppose each to their own cup of tea, but Privacy is prime objective for us...so we'll just stay to the 'cheaper' oceanview balconies.  Suprise no one was talking about the privacy issue though [on Havana balcony cabins].  

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, LinRon3 said:

Havana balcony topic piqued our interest...so watched a few YouTube vids...and the issue that screams out [as we watched]...is PRIVACY.  The vloggers we watched didn't seem to mind it, but these cabins are premium cost...right?   Mardi Gras looks like a great ship [dining really looks interesting with so many venues]...but the Havana cabins...well, suppose each to their own cup of tea, but Privacy is prime objective for us...so we'll just stay to the 'cheaper' oceanview balconies.  Suprise no one was talking about the privacy issue though [on Havana balcony cabins].  

The only people that can possibly walk past your "balcony" is someone else that also is staying in your exclusive section that needs a swipe of your sail n sign card to enter.  

Also, the Havana section is totally different and much better on the three Vista Class ships.  On the Vista, the Havana area is located in the aft of deck 5 and contains a pool, two hot tubs, two tiki huts and large loungers.  The Excel Class version is on the starboard section of deck 8, with no huts, no hot tubs and a postage stamp sized pool.

The privacy issue is never discussed as a possible negative because it's a non issue.

Edited by Retired-N-Happy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

The only people that can possibly walk past your "balcony" is someone else that also is staying in your exclusive section that needs a swipe of your sail n sign card to enter.  

Also, the Havana section is totally different and much better on the three Vista Class ships.  On the Vista, the Havana area is located in the aft of deck 5 and contains a pool, two hot tubs, two tiki huts and large loungers.  The Excel Class version is on the starboard section of deck 8, with no huts, no hot tubs and a postage stamp sized pool.

The privacy issue is never discussed as a possible negative because it's a non issue.

Not true as I discussed on our recent Vista cruise review.....

For both cruises we had the same Havana interior cabin # 5214. When the Vista came out in 2016, we thought that we would love to try one of the Havana Cabana cabins, but we never got a chance to book one before Covid hit. When cruising resumed, our first cruise was on the Horizon, but those Havana cabins were not available so we just booked a regular balcony aft on the port side. Much to our surprise we saw that we could look down directly into the cabana and see that there was no privacy. Also, the views of the sea from there were not very good.

IMG_2416-XL.jpg

IMG_2420-XL.jpg

We decided then that those cabins were not for us, so we booked a Havana interior for our Panorama cruise. We couldn’t have been more pleased. We felt that with the Havana area itself, an interior cabin is all you need, and it is very cost effective. When we got back from that cruise we immediately booked the same for these cruises. The bonus was we received a great offer that basically gave us two weeks on this ship for the price of one. We couldn’t have been happier!

• Like 2