Sodas, Wine and Water Questions?

anngi

Trying to figure out what to do about beverages.  

What do you do if you aren't buying a package?

We aren't huge drinkers so won't be buying package on Sun Princess.

From reading looks like we can each bring a 750ml bottle of wine onboard.

Is that when we board or can we buy on a port day and bring back with us?
How many sodas and or water can we bring on? 
Again, is this on arrival day or can we bring back on a port day?

Thank you!

37 minutes ago, anngi said:

What do you do if you aren't buying a package?

From reading looks like we can each bring a 750ml bottle of wine onboard.

Is that when we board or can we buy on a port day and bring back with us?
How many sodas and or water can we bring on? 
Again, is this on arrival day or can we bring back on a port day?

Thank you!

You can pre order water and soda for a very small cost.  The water will be in your cabin and you will call room service to have the pre order soda delivered.  Much less expensive than buying on board.  I cannot answer your question re alcoholic, though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, anngi said:

What do you do if you aren't buying a package? you purchase everything as you go. So assuming you are not buying a drink package, a plus ,or a premier cruise fare package?
And that’s OK. Sounds like you booked the standard fare only.
So you will pay for any nonalcoholic drinks, alcoholic,soda, coffees- like specialty ones, Wi-Fi if you need it, crew, appreciation, etc. it will just go against your Folio a.k.a. hotel bill .

From reading looks like we can each bring a 750ml bottle of wine onboard.yes you are able

Is that when we board or can we buy on a port day and bring back with us?boarding usually,but some passengers have purchased wine while they’re in port and not a problem to bring back to cabin.Some have not been able to.
How many sodas and or water can we bring on? usually a 12 pack of soda ( in cans) and I believe same on water.
Again, is this on arrival day or can we bring back on a port day? pretty sure on embarkation and port. Bring it on ,on embarkation day and make sure to ask a security guard when you get off the ship in port the first day ,that works for Princess ( the ones at the gangway) and ask them the soda/water question .make sure you get their name or picture of their name tag case you have any issues.

Thank you!

Can of soda and 500 ml water onboard is $2.50. You can fill your reusable water bottles in buffet area with filtered water for free. Use a ship glass first and not direct in your bottle.

Bottled Water Package

• Must be booked before the cruise.
  • 12 bottles (500ml each) at a price of 7.08 USD (not available on voyages departing from and returning to Australia and New Zealand, and can only be booked up to 4 days before departure)

Check to see on your  App, cruise personalizer, or with your travel agent if still available to purchase.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

On our South America cruise last February I missed the cruise because of an unexpected gall bladder issue. We had booked a Standard fare. My Dear Wife (DW) went on the cruise anyway with my full encouragement. After all I didn’t want all my planning to go to waste!  She took 3 or 4 bottles of her favourite wines with her. The mark up for these nice expensive bottles on board was more than $100 more than the cost back here in Toronto. Technically she should have been able to take one bottle on board with no corkage charge as long as she drank it in the room or filled a glass here and there and carried it around with her. The remaining bottles should have incurred a $20 corkage fee for each bottle at embarkation. She boarded on the second day of the cruise at a different port due to a travel delay after my surgery and there was no “wine police table” set up. They let her slide by without any word on any charges for the extra bottles and she enjoyed all of the wine in the room. I assume she had a glass in her hand while she messaged or called our son and myself many nights from the aft balcony after visiting with penguins in the Falkland Islands or the different stops in Patagonia. 😉 At least we got a couple of T-shirts and a cute stuffed penguin out of the deal.

Long story short, you are each permitted to bring 1 bottle of wine (750 ml) on board at embarkation with no corkage fee as long as you’re not taking the bottles to a restaurant. Any additional bottles are charged a $20 corkage fee no matter where you drink it. That is incumbent on Princess setting up a beverage checking table at embarkation and actually enforcing their rule. In regard to soda or water, I do recall that you may bring cans of soda in your hand luggage but we have not tried that. We preordered a couple of cases of water bottles and soda for that cruise and my wife said the water was in the room first day and she contacted room service to arrange the soda delivery. 

• Like 1

The water on the ship is very drinkable (water is desalinated).  Some have claimed that there is still some salt residue that leaves them swollen.

You can pre-purchase water bottles (see above).  You are NOT SUPPOSED to bring on board water in plastic bottles...only in cans.  This may vary.

Policy says that you need to check wine purchased in a port.  This may vary.

I brought 4 large bottles of water back to the Diamond Princess (even after buying the water package).  I was not stopped.

You are limited to one 12 pack case of soda per person.  This may vary.

• Like 2

Thank you for the advice.  Does anyone know where it is on the app to order the water? Need to take a pill before breakfast.  Will try and find a hot/cold beverage carrier.  Speaking of beverages how is the coffee onboard in the main dining room? 

29 minutes ago, anngi said:

Thank you for the advice.  Does anyone know where it is on the app to order the water? Need to take a pill before breakfast.  Will try and find a hot/cold beverage carrier.  Speaking of beverages how is the coffee onboard in the main dining room? 

Princess has replaced the awful syrupy coffee with a better quality brew.  I don’t remember the name.

Buffet/morning: juices, coffee, teas (hot chocolate for a fee), milk

afternoon: lemonade

MDR:  hot/cold chocolate (no fee), coffee, tea, (hot/iced), milk, lemonade, juices.

It doesn’t look like you can order the water from the app.  You will need to sign into your personalizer.  I did it a while back so can’t help you there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mrpayroll said:

Wine is for embarkation day only. If bought while in a port , they will keep it until end of cruise. Soda can be brought on anytime.

This is the theory, when they tell you to check it in at the table, often out of sight, just ignore and walk on by

• Like 3

6 hours ago, anngi said:

Log in to Cruise Personalizer for your cruise. Select "Beverage" from the menu line at the top of the page. "Stateroom Bottled Water Package ($7.08 for 12 (500 ml) bottles" is available to purchase.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, anngi said:

At the International Cafe they usually have cardboard drink carriers but you have to ask for it.  And the later in the cruise the less likely you are to get one (they ask they you bring it with you each day not ask for a new one each day).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2024 at 7:30 AM, mrpayroll said:

Wine is for embarkation day only. If bought while in a port , they will keep it until end of cruise. Soda can be brought on anytime.

We just got off of a 14-day cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Quebec. We carried soda in plastic bottles, wine, liquor, 6-packs of beer, etc. on board at every port, as did many others (We kept seeing the same cruisers at liquor stores). All of it went through the scanners with no questions asked.

We also took those bottles of wine to the dining room and were never charged corkage. (Tipping your waiter is recommended.)

Nearly every evening we also purchased pre-dinner drinks at piazza bars.

The "written rules" are far different than actual practices. 😉

Edited by Teechur
punctuation repair
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Lavazza.

And tomorrow, I won't remember the name either.  One piece of information I don't need to clutter up already crowed brain.  But Thank You.  Is it any good?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hi @anngi! Welcome to Cruise Critic. Are we cruising the Sun Princess this September together? Think I saw you on that roll call. Okay .... I'm going to answer this as if you are. 

1. It's one 750ml wine bottle per adult on boarding + 750ml wine bottle per adult when returning to the ship in Spain (at least that's how it's always been IMHO).  I'm boarding with 750ml Chardonnay + two 187ml sparking wines. Never been stopped. If you're on 2 legs then they won't care if you board 2 bottles per adult. Europe isn't as picky. I'm picking up another bottle in Vigo at a winery. They won't take it from me but I have to drink it in my room or pay $20 corkage (hope to slip tawny port on but fortified wine is problematic)

2. Water is $7.08 for 12 bottles delivered to your room before you board. Order it on the website under "BEVERAGES". Only available pre-cruise at this price

3. Although the water delivered to your room is in plastic bottles, do not board with plastic bottles. Cans and paper cartons are fine. (Yes water comes in cartons. I don't understand why but oh well)

4. Coffee in MDR is fine. Was semi gross in buffet on the Royal Princess in April but the Sun Princess is a new ship. Room service coffee was good. Order on breakfast flyer if you are a standard cruiser to avoid $5 charge

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

And tomorrow, I won't remember the name either.  One piece of information I don't need to clutter up already crowed brain.  But Thank You.  Is it any good?

Coffee is subjective. I understand it is a blend, so both Arabica and Robusta beans. I do not sense the harshness of Robusta at all. It is very smooth. By comparison, Starbucks tastes over-roasted and this does not. A very acceptable coffee included in your fare. The Douwe Egberts and Nescafe syrup coffees weren't papatable to me, so previously we brought Via packets.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Hi @anngi! Welcome to Cruise Critic. Are we cruising the Sun Princess this September together? Think I saw you on that roll call. Okay .... I'm going to answer this as if you are. 

1. It's one 750ml wine bottle per adult on boarding + 750ml wine bottle per adult when returning to the ship in Spain (at least that's how it's always been IMHO).  I'm boarding with 750ml Chardonnay + two 187ml sparking wines. Never been stopped. If you're on 2 legs then they won't care if you board 2 bottles per adult. Europe isn't as picky. I'm picking up another bottle in Vigo at a winery. They won't take it from me but I have to drink it in my room or pay $20 corkage (hope to slip tawny port on but fortified wine is problematic)

2. Water is $7.08 for 12 bottles delivered to your room before you board. Order it on the website under "BEVERAGES". Only available pre-cruise at this price

3. Although the water delivered to your room is in plastic bottles, do not board with plastic bottles. Cans and paper cartons are fine. (Yes water comes in cartons. I don't understand why but oh well)

4. Coffee in MDR is fine. Was semi gross in buffet on the Royal Princess in April but the Sun Princess is a new ship. Room service coffee was good. Order on breakfast flyer if you are a standard cruiser to avoid $5 charge

Want to add that they are supposed to charge $20 for each bottle after the 1st one but they never have charged me in Australia or Europe (but I just embark with 2)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

syrup coffees weren't papatable to me

And this is the reason I gave up (and haven't returned) to drinking coffee on the ships.

I will have Plus on my next cruise.  No need to drink Lavazza coffee next time around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

And this is the reason I gave up (and haven't returned) to drinking coffee on the ships.

I will have Plus on my next cruise.  No need to drink Lavazza coffee next time around.

Is Lavazza coffee also what they serve at IC? I use to get fresh brewed here when the use to have coffee cards. I like my latte each morning then switch to brewed black coffee.

25 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Is Lavazza coffee also what they serve at IC? I use to get fresh brewed here when the use to have coffee cards. I like my latte each morning then switch to brewed black coffee.

The IC brewed coffee has a charge or unlimited with Plus/Premier.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Do you know if it Lavazza as well? NCL had this but changed to some awful bitter stuff.

Thanks

No, I do not.  I am not a coffee enthusiast.  The few specialty coffees that I do drink seem to be okay, but it’s flavored with sugar and cream….haha