“Production” numbers in Princess Theatre gone downhill

remydiva

I don't care if the " shows " have declined.  It's something to do to kill the evening.  It's only , what, maybe 1 hour out of the night.  If Im having a better time outside of the ship, I won't go.  But I would rather be bored, sitting in the theatre, hope to hear something good, than staying in my cabin watching TV ( I can do that at home).  I think I saw 1 show ( Im pretty sure it was on Princess), it had a sort of western them, but I felt like I was watching a Chippendales show.  The men were gyrating and being very sexual on the floor.  I felt embarrassed for any parents that brought their kids to that show.  And believe me, I used to be a dancing fool in my youth.

• Haha 1

We're currently on Ruby Princess as well. I don't think the production shows (that's the ones repeated every week with the ship's singers and dancers) have changed other than there seems to be less recognition of who the cast is (there used to occasional programs and/or cast listings in the patters - now it's all anonymous). OTOH, the specialty shows in the theater seem to be not as good. Maybe that's because our last two cruises have been Alaska and with so many ships there, it dilutes the talent pool.

For the production shows, each ship is its own repertoire. Since 2016, I've been on Regal Princess, Coral Princess, and Ruby Princess and I like the Regal Princess shows (particularly Fiera) far more than the ones on Coral Princess or Ruby Princess. But the last two cruises have been on Ruby Princess where I am not as in to to its shows (particularly Colors of the World which I'll skip next time) than on Regal Princess. So any feeling of decline I might have has to do with the ship I'm on as the shows on each ship do not change often.

17 hours ago, TRLD said:

I have been doing multiple cruise on Princess for 20 years. The production shows have always been a medley of songs, dance and costumes based upon the theme of the shows. If anything the newer shows such as Magic to Do (one of my least liked production shows) is moving a bit away from just the song and dance.

Princess has never really done Broadway type shows. Always been like Around the world, or the route 66 themed medley. They have gone to more video screen backgrounds and less physical scenery and props.

Princess has moved to more solo tribute type guest performers, with less comedy, magic  type shows. However they have always the solo singer, instrumentalist, tribute (impersonator) as well. While the mix has moved a bit more to the solo singer not by a large degree.

Agree with this 100%.  Not sure where the idea comes from that cruise ship shows were ever Broadway or off-Broadway quality shows.  If cruise ship performers were good enough to perform on Broadway or the West End, that's where they would be.  Just take the shows for what they are worth and be thankful that you aren't paying actual Broadway prices.  Two Orchestra seats to a real Broadway show will cost you the price of an entire 7 day cruise!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We were on the Enchanted in April. We loved the production shows. Rock Opera, Spotlight Bar were very good. Also, we had a comedian that was very funny. We have always enjoyed Princesses entertainment and feel like Princess has a good variety. 

I am sorry you felt your cruise was lacking in entertainment. Hope the next cruise is better for you.

Kaye

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, remydiva said:

Is it just me or has Princess seriously cut back on the type, variety and overall quality of the nightly shows in Princess theatre post covid?

After 21 cruises, I’ve seen a few. I recall the shows being darn near off Broadway style with elaborate moving sets and shows that sometimes rivalled NYC.

Now they are all just the Princess singers, dancers and house band doing covers of popular songs then and now.

Or ‘tributes’

Or like last nite on board the Ruby, a singer with some back up creds doing a Prince tribute for a total of 5 songs peppered with a whole lot of chatter with audience. 
‘how many folks here married .. raise your hand. Now give your sweetie a smooch. You sir.. how many years? 45?! Let’s give this man applause! And you over there .. yes you.. how many for you?! 10?! Wow give her a round of applause!’

Not my idea of how to fill a 45 min set.

No stage decor just lots of laser lights and strobes.

so .. are there any of the types of shows Princess used to have and some cruise lines still have? 

Broadway sets aren't gawdy or overdone anymore. 

Hamilton

Dear Evan Hansen

Come From Away

Waitress

Hadestown

Shucked

Company

Shows onboard, Encore, Spotlight Bar, Five Skies, Colours of the Wind have pretty elaborate sets. 

What you mentioned are guest entertainers, not production shows, bantering with the audience. No guest entertainer is bringing onboard huge set pieces for their two shows.  

Production show singers and casts have NEVER been Broadway quality, or they wouldn't be performing on a cruise ship.

Lighting can easily bring background to life - like The Sphere in Vegas, 360 on Discovery Princess

We've evolved into not having huge clunky sets which take storage room and need to be maintained.  

Edited by startedwithamouse

50 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Agree with this 100%.  Not sure where the idea comes from that cruise ship shows were ever Broadway or off-Broadway quality shows.  If cruise ship performers were good enough to perform on Broadway or the West End, that's where they would be.  Just take the shows for what they are worth and be thankful that you aren't paying actual Broadway prices.  Two Orchestra seats to a real Broadway show will cost you the price of an entire 7 day cruise!  

Keep in mind that Jennifer Hudson and a few others that have done quite well started on cruise ships.

11 hours ago, Ombud said:

There weren't ANY production shows on my 22 day April cruise. A few 'variety,' some magicians,  and comedians. Very disappointing.  Not a fan of magicians and the comedians were flat. 

Was your cast in quarantine?  This is the only time they don't perform.

3 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Was your cast in quarantine?  This is the only time they don't perform.

No. Cast were doing the variety shows. Musicians performed around the ship. 

3 hours ago, vakamalua said:

I suspect you will never see a show on any cruise ship--Princess or on any other line--that is the level of the Broadway show.  Apples & oranges.  Keeping that expectation in mind, several of the ones we've seen on Princess had excellent concepts & execution including set design, vocal talent, choreography & costumes.  

perhaps I misspoke .. I don’t mean Broadway per se .. I meant the type of show that included set design, movable sets and backdrops, singers walking down a staircase , coming up from below floor etcetc.

‘Magic Do It’ last nite at least had that .

as others have said they used to have two longer shows so getting there 30 mins early was ‘worth it’. Now the show is 45 mins long so it should be ‘worth’ the wait imho, 

they are NO Rock Opera or Spotlight Bar or on another thread someone spoke about shows called Bravo or Fire or something similar. Nope.. just tributes on this Alaska cruise.

But on the flip side we have enjoyed all three comedians .. Ronnie Printz?, Matt Bergman and Kivi Rogers all in Club Fusion which has a nice comedy club vibe.

We have been cruising for many years. Over those years the talent in production shows improved. Now, due to economics, it is reversing a bit, but still much better than our first cruises. We still enjoy them and do not mind going early to get our seat of choice

5 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

What are variety shows?  Musicians aren't part of the production cast, i.e., don't rehearse together or part of the triple. 

Variety-type shows are where 1 or 2 cast members come on stage to a stationary stool (the only thing on stage) talk with each other or audience, maybe move once or twice, and sing while the band then plays behind them. 

22 minutes ago, remydiva said:

perhaps I misspoke .. I don’t mean Broadway per se .. I meant the type of show that included set design, movable sets and backdrops, singers walking down a staircase , coming up from below floor etcetc.

‘Magic Do It’ last nite at least had that .

IMO, Magic To Do is a horrible choppy production show. 

Sounds like you're looking for sets and not substance. 

I find Princess to be middling, with basic song and dance, not at all daring. At one time they promoted a partnership with Stephen Schwarz, with some more unique shows--I remember a dragon puppet in one of them, and one based around magic. They're better than HAL, which got rid of all of their shows to cut costs, and now have interpretive dance shows (although they're slowly bringing back some production shows on some cruises). NCL does Broadway and more lively production shows, although they've also been cutting back the Broadway ones to cut costs. Celebrity really put them all to shame, with a mix of singing, dancing, aerialists and acrobats, and elaborate stage design and lighting and screens, and on Edge-class ships they have two separate production casts and three performance venues, so there's a unique show every night. Sun/Star are trying to get more modern, with aerialists and water shows, but not having them ready at launch didn't help. Apart from stale shows, I also really dislike the seating design of the older Princess ships, where the bottom section is just very long, narrow rows, so everyone has to constantly stand up for people to get by.  

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The worst shows I saw on Princess were SILK and Magic To Do. The best was Bravo. It's hit and miss.

We very much like Bravo and Encore.

I hope the other 4 shows that Princess contracted with Schwatz turn out Better than Magic to Do. We did not care for Wicked on Broadway either, another of his creations.

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

IMO, Magic To Do is a horrible choppy production show. 

Sorry to hear it didn't improve. I've only walked out of 2 shows: Magic To Do & Stardust. At least by leaving in the 1st 5 minutes I freed up a seat for someone else and made it back to Wheelhouse Bar

We cruise quite a bit on Princess and mostly from somewhere on the west coast of the US, so the production shows are all repeats for us.  I still like Colors of the World but only go to see it every seven times it is offered.  Every single time that Rock Opera or Spotlight Bar is on the schedule, I have to go.  Those ones just wow me.  I didn’t care for Fiera, Stardust or Magic to Do but I can still appreciate all the effort and talent that go into them.  I saw Secret Silk only once and absolute loved it.  I don’t even know if it’s still around.  I know there was some controversy surrounding it so, they may have pulled it.  ??? 

I am fine with the shorter shows.  I get restless sitting in those theater seats for too long, especially at night.  
I do tend to really love the enrichment program speakers.  They always have such interesting topics.  

I suspect some people are using the wrong terms for some of the shows. Production shows are the named shows with the resident company of four singers (2M/2F - the ones wearing or holding microphones) and 10 to 12 dancers) - on Ruby Princess (where I am now) they are Colors of the World, Stardust, and Magic To Do (which has an additional male singer who appears only to do that show). Then there are the guest entertainers. We’ve had three - a hypnotist, a female singer covering a number of different songs, and a male singer doing a Prince tribute show. Guest entertainers are only on the ship for a few days so these shows will vary from cruise to cruise. 

To me, a variety show has multiple artists each doing just one or two numbers (variety of performers). From my experience, they’re not typical on Princess although tonight we have a single performance of a “Farewell Variety Show” which is billed as having the resident company, guest entertainers, and officers. It strikes me as thrown together which makes me wonder if a planned guest entertainer had to cancel or missed the ship yesterday.

• Like 1