Same Dress for 2 Formal Nights???

SakeDad

OK...we're starting to look at wardrobe to take for Alaska. Mom has a lovely gold dress she wants to wear for both formal nights. She would wear a gold bugle beaded/rhinstoned throw over it the 1st time and a colorful shawl the 2nd time. Do you think it's OK for her to wear the same dress for both formal nights on a 7 day cruise to Alaska? It sure would help with packing.:rolleyes:

Hey that is just what we are planning on doing. We are going to travel light on our trip up to the US this year and on our 10 day cruise I will only be packing one formal wear, I have decided that it is really quite ridiculous what I have packed in the past. I have come to the conclusion that nobody probably notices what I am wearing and that they probably don't really care either.

Val :)

When we did our 7 day Alaska, and 10 day Carribean, I took one formal black dress(one that I purchased for our first cruise in 1999) and wore it to all the formal nights. There were two and three respectively. My personal feeling was I was nicely dressed and looked all right, so what was the big deal if I re-wore the same dress twice? I tend to bring a few more outfits for every other night and rotate them as well, since they are just a part of my regular wardrobe and do not require the extra expense assoc. with formal wear. Having said all that, for this 3 week cruise there are 5 formal nights, so I did go out and purchase a new outfit on sale that could be mix and matched with other pieces in my wardrobe to create a few more outfits. As well, I am borrowing a dress from a friend to add to my formal wear wardrobe. So the long winded answer is...there is nothing wrong with wearing an outfit more than once;)

Connie

From a guy point of view I don't see anything wrong with it either and I've been trying to tell my DW that. However, Mother's Day is coming up, if you're looking for something to buy for her. I think it's two weeks before you sail.

She actually has other outfits to wear for formal, but she wants to just wear one dress with different accessories. I will happily tell her she has the CC'rs blessings!:D

I've learned over the years to re-use outfits and not pack so much. Sometimes I'll wear the dressier outfit for the first formal night and dress down with a pantsuit for the second one - or just wear the same outfit twice. Enjoy the cruise. Alaska is a bit more informal anyway.

Am doing the same dress for both formal nights on our upcoming Alaska cruise this Sept. I ALWAYS have overpacked for our cruises and just recently have started to pack a little lighter and repeat outfits. When we first started to cruise, I would bring a different outfit and shoes for each night and even have a few extra things in case I could not decided what to wear. I guess as we get older, and want to lighten our luggage a bit, I find that I can repeat an outfit and not worry about it. Remember, there is always drycleaning service on board, so you can always send something out to be cleaned. In Dec. on the Oosterdam we had a suite and this service was included, they do an ok job, I would not send an extremely expensive formal outfit to the onboard cleaners, just as I do at home, the more expensive items go to a specialty cleaners. As previous posters have stated, no one remembers or really cares what you wear. The only time people really take notice is if you are not in the proper attire for the evening, eg. jeans on formal night. Believe me these people stand out, not someone that repeated an appropriate outfit a second time.

OK...we're starting to look at wardrobe to take for Alaska. Mom has a lovely gold dress she wants to wear for both formal nights. She would wear a gold bugle beaded/rhinstoned throw over it the 1st time and a colorful shawl the 2nd time. Do you think it's OK for her to wear the same dress for both formal nights on a 7 day cruise to Alaska? It sure would help with packing.:rolleyes:

Oh, I NEVER wear the same dress two nights in a row...

(Sorry - I couldnt resist!)

:D

By all means wear the formal twice, but don't make the mistake of telling everyone.

On one of our cruises one ladiy at our large table mentioned over and over that she was wearing the same gown that she wore for the first formal night. None of us had noticed it until she kept bringing it up again and again.

She didn't realize that a 7 night cruise had 2 formal nights she said.

Change the accessories and nobody will notice.

Ginnie

No one would notice/care, trust me.

I've worn the same outfit more than once many times on cruises. On our upcoming cruise to Alaska (our third), I'm bringing only one formal outfit and it's a simple travel knit black dress with a jacket. I've found that in Alaska, it's good to have something with sleeves (jacket or shawl) and comfortable shoes. That way, I'm comfortable stepping out on deck to see the gorgeous scenery go by and I can enjoy the almost 24 hours of daylight in early June.

I think it would be wise to remember that you are going on an exciting, relaxing and enjoyable cruise and NOT to a fashion show..From a guy's view, it's OK and I only bring one suit and a couple of ties..They have not disbarred me from any activity on the ship after 19 cruises. Don't fret about it. Do whatever your comfortable with. ENJOY !

Archived