Something funny that happened on the Mariner this week

Our family was sailing the Mariner of the Seas this past week. As we were returning to the ship we noticed two teenage boys trying to figure out how to conceal two bottles of liquor. One of the boys was wearing baggy jeans and a long tshirt. He was able to slip a couple of bottles in his deep pockets and cover up with his tshirt. You'd have to look hard to notice the bulges. The other guy was wearing shorts and a tighter fitting tshirt so he could not have gotten away with it. Anyway, I noticed and made my husband slow down so we could be a few people behind them. Obviously I wanted to see if they got caught! They made it through the 1st checkpoint where they showed their seapass cards then proceeded to enter the ship. We didn't see them enter because we were a few people behind but just assumed that they were able to slip by. However, as we approached the security checkpoint we noticed they both were pulled aside by security. I am guessing that the metal detector picked up on their stash! A lady waiting in the elevator area told us that the smuggler was 14 and his accomplice (who purchased the alcohol) was 18. They proceeded to blame each other and then offered the bottles to the security officers. Security would have none of that and were placing calls to their parents as we got on the elevator. I wonder how the rest of their cruise went?

Kids.......I would like to say the 18yr. old should have known better, but then I reconsidered. Glad they got caught, but I feel bad for the parents...sometimes no matter how well you try bring them up they still want to "test the waters". Hopefully a good lesson was learned.

Security would have none of that and were placing calls to their parents as we got on the elevator. I wonder how the rest of their cruise went?

Well, from my position as a teacher, let me guess ... first, the parents wanted to know why security was bothering them about it. Then they said they OK'd the purchase so just send it and the kids up to the cabin. Then they berated security for taking the booze and said it should be turned over to them since it was bought and paid for. Then they threatened to sue the ship since the security officers patted their kids down and "nobody can put their hands on MY kid!" When the kids came up to the cabin they taught them that they were dumb to try to bring two bottles on board, and showed them how they could have concealed one bottle better. They then turned the kids loose to roam the ship while the parents got blasted in the bar.

HMMMMMM?

Well, from my position as a teacher, let me guess ... first, the parents wanted to know why security was bothering them about it. Then they said they OK'd the purchase so just send it and the kids up to the cabin. Then they berated security for taking the booze and said it should be turned over to them since it was bought and paid for. Then they threatened to sue the ship since the security officers patted their kids down and "nobody can put their hands on MY kid!" When the kids came up to the cabin they taught them that they were dumb to try to bring two bottles on board, and showed them how they could have concealed one bottle better. They then turned the kids loose to roam the ship while the parents got blasted in the bar.

HMMMMMM?

LMBO!!!! Nice summary Mike :p

###

HMMMMMM?

Well said!

HMMMMMM?

Spot on!

You forgot them saying that everyone else is doing it so why were their kids picked on?

Jane

(Fellow teacher)

HMMMMMM?

And since you lump all parents into one group, you surely don't mind people who lump all teachers into one group.

I second the question where were their parents? Why was a 18 year old left in charge of a 14 year old in port?

I am finally going on my first cruise away from my parents and I have to say, even at the age of 20 I was never allowed to leave the boat by myself! We had to stay in large groups, and us "kids" ( which included ages 27, 24, 20 18 & 17) were not permitted to leave the boat unless ALL of us stayed together at all times. My parents are pretty over protective. Of course, I guess they have to be, because I always managed to get in a bit of trouble on the short leash I had...

My future MIL's always warns us about the possibilities of being "raped robbed and beaten". When we told her we were going on a cruise together, she shook her finger at us and told us not to leave each others side and to "hold hands" when we get off the boat so we dont get seperated from each other! I will be 23 and he is 24! And of course, we are a young lovey couple so we usually hold hands anyway....it was just funny that she reminded us like kindergarteners walking down to the library...I dont think she really believes those things will happen, she just worries like all mothers SHOULD.

I'm going to be unpopular here, but I would have ratted them out.

If my boys did that, they'd be swimming home.

sounds like a plan! I totally agree. Too many parents these days tend to look the other way and then wonder why their kids are screwed up!!

I work in Law enforcement and I would have ratted them out as well. If my boys tried a stunt like that they would suffer the consequences as well (Theme song from jaws playing softly in the background) As I watch Nliedel's boys avoiding the sharks while my boys sailed home in a 14 foot sailboat......:p

even at the age of 20 I was never allowed to leave the boat by myself!

This past December, I went "solo" on Freedom. So happens, my parents were on the same ship, travelling with a group of friends. I am FORTY years old, and my mother made me SWEAR that I would not get off the ship in MoBay by myself. LOL

T

HMMMMMM?

This kind of attitude is why the captain has sometimes taken the option of putting the whole family off the ship.

I'm with the few others. I would've been telling the crew members what I saw!

If the parents can't be parents, then I have no problem telling kids how to behave. Someone's got to do it!

My kids have been on a lot of cruises and they have never, ever stepped foot off the ship by themselves. I suppose these kids' parents were having some much needed "me" time.... :rolleyes:

I guess not so unpopular. I would have followed to see if security caught them. If not, I would have ratted them out as well.

And since you lump all parents into one group, you surely don't mind people who lump all teachers into one group.

LOL -- no, not all parents -- just those who turn their minor kids loose in a foreign port where they can try to smuggle booze aboard the ship. (And incidentally does anyone doubt that their father had smuggled a bottle of booze into the cabin and bragged about it??) I bet, on a percentage basis, my characterization of those particular parents is fairly accurate! And my compatriot is right, I did forget, "Everyone does it so why are you picking on my kids!" I have heard all those comments regularly over a 40 year career.

In all fairness, I, and all other teachers, regularly encounter wonderful kids with great parents who supervise their kids and teach them right from wrong. If there are teachers who have never encountered the other kind, I wonder how they have been so fortunate.

In any case, have a GREAT cruise and be sure to keep an eye on your kids.;)

I'm with you on this. I have read so many posts on this board now where I just don't understand why the person observing bad behavior doesn't just speak up or do something. For example, a poster observed another person tasting some cake with a supplied plastic fork, but instead of throwing it away, put the fork back in the pan. The poster talked about how terrible it was that the rude eater may have gotten several people sick. I'm thinking, then why didn't you go grab that fork and throw it out? (I can hope they did, just didn't report that) I've always had the "it takes a village" mentality with kids, and at times with adults. If I had seen those kids, I would have tried to get ahead of them in line and quietly mentioned what I saw to security to make sure they found the booze. What a wonderful world if we all tried to keep each other a little safer.

I'm with you on this. I have read so many posts on this board now where I just don't understand why the person observing bad behavior doesn't just speak up or do something. For example, a poster observed another person tasting some cake with a supplied plastic fork, but instead of throwing it away, put the fork back in the pan. The poster talked about how terrible it was that the rude eater may have gotten several people sick. I'm thinking, then why didn't you go grab that fork and throw it out? (I can hope they did, just didn't report that) I've always had the "it takes a village" mentality with kids, and at times with adults. If I had seen those kids, I would have tried to get ahead of them in line and quietly mentioned what I saw to security to make sure they found the booze. What a wonderful world if we all tried to keep each other a little safer.

I do want to state, for clarification, that because I would do it, does not mean others should. I'm a confrontational, old battle axe. I don't bat an eye, but my husband would rather die than make waves. Why we work so well together. He's happy to cheer me on, but from the sidelines. I respect his right to be the one to watch me turn into some bizarre Roman candle and be there to pick up the pieces. :D

I'll bet that those kids' parents have, in the past, put their diaper-wearing babies in the ship's pools while reserving deck chairs at the other end of the ship while their 10 year olds are sitting in the adult-only hot tubes and then soon after, put on shorts and headed off to the dining room to eat!

I do want to state, for clarification, that because I would do it, does not mean others should. I'm a confrontational, old battle axe. I don't bat an eye, but my husband would rather die than make waves. Why we work so well together. He's happy to cheer me on, but from the sidelines. I respect his right to be the one to watch me turn into some bizarre Roman candle and be there to pick up the pieces. :D

Nicely put. in my family the DW is the one that will not make waves while I'd just as soon as splash all the water out of the tub. You are not Bizzarre at all in fact I'd love to go to a fight with you at my side. You ever decide you want to be a Correctional officer I will sponsor you....:D

IMNSPHO stands for "In my not so popular humble opinion."

Here is my take. An 18 year old person should be responsible and old enough to leave a ship with a 14 year old. Secondly, in most ports the age to purchase liquor is 18. My guess is that the 14 year old was being used by the older kid and the booze was to be smuggled for his use when he returned home rather than for being consumed on the ship (3 bottles of booze is a lot for anyone to consume on the ship). It is just another teenage kid trying to beat the system. As for the parents, I bet he did get in trouble. If the parents did not care, the 18 year old would not have been so sneaky about it.

Lastly, if it was an adult who was smuggling booze in his baggy pants, would those of you who said you would have ratted the kids out for smuggling the booze have done the same for the adults? Or is it the underage drinking that would have compelled you to report it?

Just a thought from a 40 year old well adjusted adult male that was raised with parents that would not have approved of the booze smuggling at that age but I sure would have tried it.

Archived