Is all food onloaded at port of embarkation?

mauiedin87

This is a question a friend asked us last night, and it left us stumped. We thought that after 12 cruises we knew the answer to that, and we don't.

We know that vast amounts of food are needed to feed 2000 passengers (and crew) during a 2-week or even 19-day cruise. Is it all loaded on in Los Angeles, or Fort Lauderdale, or San Diego or wherever the cruise leaves from? Or are fresh supplies of fruit, vegetables, beverages taken on during various port stops?:confused:

I read somewhere that for a 7 night cruise, they always load 14 days of food each week so there is always an extra weeks allottment of food.

It also said that they order perishables in varying ripening stages. So at the same time they order ripe bananas and green bananas.

Not sure how this works for longer cruises....

I guess I would have expected them to buy food in whatever port it was less expensive. Obviously, some consideration has to be given to storage requirements. But, if you knew you could get the same commodity for less in one of the ports en-route then that would be where to load that item.

I've been on many cruises where food was loaded at ports along the way. My guess is that "it all depends." If you're departing from Southampton, for instance, it might be better to load bananas and fresh fruit in the Med. I'm sure they have the experience and systems set up so that they can order food and supplies from the place that makes the most sense. It'll be interesting to see what supplies are onloaded, and where, on my 31-day cruise next Spring on the Sapphire across the Pacific. We'll have several sea days before each stop and some of those stops might not have the best quality or price on goods.

I've been on many cruises where food was loaded at ports along the way. My guess is that "it all depends." If you're departing from Southampton, for instance, it might be better to load bananas and fresh fruit in the Med. I'm sure they have the experience and systems set up so that they can order food and supplies from the place that makes the most sense. It'll be interesting to see what supplies are onloaded, and where, on my 31-day cruise next Spring on the Sapphire across the Pacific. We'll have several sea days before each stop and some of those stops might not have the best quality or price on goods.

Oh Pam, I am green with envy!! Lucky girl.

Karen

The cruise lines will board fresh foods in many different ports, but you will also see large air/sea containers at turnaround ports. These are sent from LAX for Princess, and contain most of the frozen meats and fish as well as staples and paper supplies. For RCL the same things come from MIA as that is there base of operation. YES, when you are in Singapore or Bombay or Sydney, you will see the same containers as they have been shipped from the states.

It'll be interesting to see what supplies are onloaded, and where, on my 31-day cruise next Spring on the Sapphire across the Pacific. We'll have several sea days before each stop and some of those stops might not have the best quality or price on goods.

When we did this on the Sapphire in 2004, we did an overnight stop (arrival at 10pm) in Papeete, Tahiti, and they loaded food on all night long. I thought it was because it was half way through the cruise. But on the Diamond going the other direction in 2006, we didn't overnight anywhere. We had the BEST papaya on those cruises, for obvious reasons. But we were told (by a supply crewmember) that only produce is procured locally; that all frozen foods actually come from Princess in the US.

Purchasing officer told us that they have the food shipped in to different ports rather than purchasing locally to ensure the quality and to make sure that they have the required quanity.

It is frequently shipped to what ever port they need to have it shipped to via container ship.

For cruises that depart from US Ports, US Public Health Regulations are very strict. They insist that all poultry, fish, and meat is purchased from Certified Vendors approved by USPH. This almost exclusively means US Companies.

USPH also insists that meat, poultry, and fish is delivered frozen, as the freezing process kills certain types of parasites and bacteria that can cause food-borne illness. Ships are still allowed to receive small quantities of fresh fish, meats, and poultry, but they usually do not any to take any chances with them.

Most major cruise lines will not allow local purchase of food items unless it is an absolute emergency - or if there is no other way to do it. On long cruises - or cruises outside the USA, it is possible to purchase local vegetables and fruits. But it is risky. The ship staff has no way of knowing what sort of pesticides or fertilizers were used in producing those items.

At the "navigation presentation" on the Caribbean Princess on Saturday, the officer said that they load everything in Fort Lauderdale. I know from my July cruise that the Adventure of the Seas was supplying its licor in St. Thomas.

So I guess the answer is, depends on the cruise line and itinerary.

It's not just food. In Ilsa Margarita the ship we were on took on fuel. At $ 0.12 per gallon it was a lot cheaper than in Ft Lauderdale.

Booze and beer is usually loaded on in tax free St Thomas which is one of the reasons this is such a common stop.

(sorry... have to continue in Derf's tone :rolleyes: )

Canada supplies almost all the prescription needs, and if a stop in Mexico is includes salsa and chips as well as inexpensive hats and blankets are loaded by the ton.

Yes, but I do always wonder about the fish....How long is it onboard before it is actually served ?

Here is a thought of you like fresh swordfish....A NewBedford swordboat steams almost a week to the Gand Banks then fishes for three weeks or more then steams back for another week.So your "fresh" swordfish could have been sitting on ice in the hold for close to a month.

Archived