HAL Cancelling Noordam Cruises from NYC November 2008 (Merger of Several Threads)

kristmay

Final result: we have booked a cruise with Celebrity, our first with them. It is from Barcelona into NJ, a month earlier than HALs and a final port destination closer to our home in NY. More ports offered, 1 less sea day, and a pleasant Celebrity travel consultant to deal with. Thank you all for your support about our booking issue with HAL/Noordam ~ I'll keep you posted! I hope I am not a "traitor...."?

You will have a great time on Celebrity.

Final result: we have booked a cruise with Celebrity, our first with them. It is from Barcelona into NJ, a month earlier than HALs and a final port destination closer to our home in NY. More ports offered, 1 less sea day, and a pleasant Celebrity travel consultant to deal with. Thank you all for your support about our booking issue with HAL/Noordam ~ I'll keep you posted! I hope I am not a "traitor...."?

Sorry that you had to give up your original cruise plans. But I am certain that you will have just as great a time on Celebrity.

As for the poster who mentioned that their suite was "already booked" on the new itinerary; this was the same thing my parents were told for 10/18/08 - the suite had been rebooked and they would have to switch. It ultimately didn't matter as they cancelled; however, I thought giving their suite away prior to letting them even know about the changed itinerary was rude by HAL.

You're not a "traitor" and you will love Celebrity! For the past 7 years we've cruised HAL and Celebrity equally. They're both excellent and I like Celebrity just a bit more. We're also booked on Celebrity Constellation out of NJ in October 2008 and really looking forward to it.

There's nothing wrong with having more than one favorite cruise line:D ... certainly doesn't make you a traitor.

"handle it that wouldn't affect some folks negatively"???????

they had already announced they were leaving the market at end of 2008--they should have just completed those few crusises they now have cancelled...!!! They knew they were leaving, they chose the date...

so is it so much to ask to fullfill the contract they made with the passengers ??? A few more cruises-would not make that big of a difference financially--but the cancellations will make a difference with customers and travel agents!!!!!!!!!!!

just more of my 2 cents...

You are absolutely correct. I think this is just bad business not to fulfill THEIR schedule.

Received this reply today.

Dear Mrs. XXX,

Thank you for contacting Holland America Line with regards to the ms Noordam sailing from New York. We appreciate your interest in Holland America Line.

Unfortunately, after March of 2008 we no longer will have a ship sailing from New York. At this time, we do not know if we will go back to New York. We would recommend you continue checking our website.

Please let us know if you would like further information. You can contact us directly via email or call us at 1-877-724-5425.

Warm Regards,

Brandi

Consumer and On-Line Support

Holland America Line

1-877-SAIL-HAL

That isn't much of a reply - no explanation given at all!!

What would you expect them to say?

Cruise lines have a lot in common with the airline industry. Neither can afford unsold seats or cabins and sometimes filling all the seats/cabins is not enough.

Airlines drop unprofitable destinations and hubs all the time. They also reduce frequencies on unprofitable routes and change schedules. And some of these actions do not come with a lot of advance notice.

The poster who works for a cruise lines that frequents the CC boards once shared with us that a typical cabin is booked 8 times before its final occupant. I am thinking this might have been a stretch to get our attention that the rate of cancellation is tremendous. People book and cancel all the time, before final payment date and most cruise lines, including HAL , does not penalize anyone, even though it incurred a cost associated with the booking and the need to resell it.

The cruise contract is a two-way street and it favors the passenger up to the point of final payment date. And yet somehow, none of us complain that we can cancel for any reason up to the point of final payment date and get our deposit back.

What would you expect them to say?

You may think me unreasonable, but if I had made a booking for a cruise through HAL's Reservation Dept. I would expect them to tell me if they cancelled my booking before selling my cabin to another customer. Or I would expect one heck of an explanation as to why it was done.

You may think me unreasonable, but if I had made a booking for a cruise through HAL's Reservation Dept. I would expect them to tell me if they cancelled my booking before selling my cabin to another customer. Or I would expect one heck of an explanation as to why it was done.

I think your expections are quite reasonable. I cannot think of any explanation that would do this justice.

Heather, I'm glad to hear you also like Celebrity. I might have to look into it in the future since it sails from New Jersey which is easy for me.Are the food and service as good as HAL?

I too sail with Celebrity, on occasion. I think they have a comparable product. I love, love, love the included thermal pool. I prefer the sincerity of HAL's crew over that of Celebrity.

Food is too subjective to even comment. I will however, say that HAL has an edge with Room Service and the Lido.

I like the cabins , post SOE, on HAL better.

The evening entertainment on Celebrity is like HAL, a hit or miss.

I think only their Canadian sails are R/T, out of Bayone. The rest will require a one way flight home.

I just came across this thread, and I'm very sorry to hear that HAL is leaving New York (again). I very much enjoyed my Oct. 2006 cruise on the Noordam, and had hoped to do it again next year.

Does anyone know if HAL has plans to homeport any ships in NY (winter or summer) any time in the future? Or will I have to plan on occasional repositioning or fall foliage cruises to sail on HAL from NY?

Does anyone know what ships from other lines will serve NY all winter in 2008-2009?

I just came across this thread, and I'm very sorry to hear that HAL is leaving New York (again). I very much enjoyed my Oct. 2006 cruise on the Noordam, and had hoped to do it again next year.

Does anyone know if HAL has plans to homeport any ships in NY (winter or summer) any time in the future? Or will I have to plan on occasional repositioning or fall foliage cruises to sail on HAL from NY?

Does anyone know what ships from other lines will serve NY all winter in 2008-2009?

It looks like just 2 NCL ships, the Gem and the Jade.

Bill

Not even the QM2 next year? It seems odd that NCL can field two ships, while Carnival Corp., and RCI can't even run one from NYC all winter...:confused:

RCL is doing the Explorer year round out of Bayonne. The Explorer is doing 9 & 12 days cruise during the winter months.

Not even the QM2 next year? It seems odd that NCL can field two ships, while Carnival Corp., and RCI can't even run one from NYC all winter...:confused:

It's a long haul down and back to the Caribbean from NY. It must use quite a bit of fuel.

NCL has to put their ships somewhere and for some reason they don't have any out of San Juan.:confused:

Bill

Although I don't look forward to flying home, it's not as bad as flying to the ship. If you are weather detained, it doesn't make as much of a difference. You've already taken the cruise. Not that I want to fly home, but it's looking like I won't have too many options after 2008. Awfully glad I am already booked.:)

Heather, I'm glad to hear you also like Celebrity. I might have to look into it in the future since it sails from New Jersey which is easy for me.Are the food and service as good as HAL?

Carol, over the past 7 years we've cruised an equal number of cruises on HAL and Celebrity (3 each) and both the food and service on Celebrity at least equals, if not surpasses, HAL's (in our opinion).

Everyone always says food is subjective and I agree. But our entire table of 8, all from different parts of the country, agreed that the food was disappointing on our last cruise on HAL. It wasn't terrible, just wasn't special. Personally, I like Celebrity's food selection better. However (big however), I do prefer HAL's Lido food selection with the exception of the amazing waffles, etc., on Celebrity.

When it comes to service, I think that is highly subjective as well ... though no one ever says that. We're all looking for different things in service. I've always felt that HAL's stateroom service is amazing. But they lack substantially in DR service mostly because I think they stretch the Stewards too thin. Celebrity's waiters generally have less tables to serve. On our last 2 Celebrity cruises, our waiter had 3 tables only. The service was warm, friendly, and definitely sincere.

It's even possible that because the DR service is so much better on Celebrity, that psychologically we felt the food was better:) .

If you want to sail out of the NY area, I would definitely give Celebrity a try. I'm already excited about our cruise on Constellation next year with 2 full days in Quebec City which is a definite plus:) .

Archived