Laundry on board seabourn

sabaka

Mr. Luxury, I am in total agreement with you! I don't spend all this money to cruise any luxury cruise line to do laundry to save a few Shekels nor am I interested in sharing a laundry room. I do laundry at home not on vacation.

Frankly, it is not an issue of saving a few shekels. Just convenience, especially now that the "benefit" bag of laundry has a two-day turn around time. It is useful to have the self-serve laundry option for items you would rather do on your own. Or, in our case, items that need to be done in a shorter time frame. We always do land travel before and/or after the cruise. There are always a few items we want to get washed quickly and have ready for the rest of the trip. Or forget to get them in the laundry bag in time ...

It is a convenience that is useful and would be missed if it was not available. I would urge SB to have the same facilities in the new ships.

Edited by marazul

Frankly, it is not an issue of saving a few shekels. Just convenience, especially now that the "benefit" bag of laundry has a two-day turn around time. It is useful to have the self-serve laundry option for items you would rather do on your own. Or, in our case, items that need to be done in a shorter time frame. We always do land travel before and/or after the cruise. There are always a few items we want to get washed quickly and have ready for the rest of the trip. Or forget to get them in the laundry bag in time ...

It is a convenience that is useful and would be missed if it was not available. I would urge SB to have the same facilities in the new ships.

I concur. Certainly not a deal breaker, just another reduction in service. Becoming more like HAL. :(

Not so! HAL has laundries everywhere on every deck and is thereby responding to customer demands for more on board activities. And they are very busy, just like at the Rodeway Inn Cruise Port location. (That said, I wonder if they charge more or less per machine and for packets of soap powder?)

No... when I go on Seabourn I am going to avoid the stress and send out my laundry. I don't care for organized group activities anyway. Not even the howdy doody neighborhood "meet and greet" parties Seabourn thinks passengers enjoy.

Happy sailing!

The question was about machines being available on the ship. I think if someone feels the need to wash their clothes, it is nice to have the machines as an option. I think everyone is grown up enough to make laundry decisions on their own without being told how one should spend their time. We appreciate the ironing board and iron being there in case we need it. I find that it ENHANCES my vacation when I can iron out a large wrinkle I have just discovered five minutes before dinner!!! I really like to wash my own underwear, either in the sink or in the washer. Please let me know your opinions on this, if you feel the need to chime in about my underwear.:D

Does anyone know how the laundry is segregated? I am assuming each load/bag from each passenger is assigned to a dedicated washer and dryer? How do they separate whites from dark coloured items, especially if you only have one or two items? Or is your clothing commingled with that of other passengers?

I am picky on my laundry and don't like others doing it with cheap/scented laundry detergent. Certainly don't want to wash my underwear out in the sink and hang it in the suite. So the option of doing it self serve style is a nice thing to have on Seabourn, especially if you are continuing to travel once disembarking. Dress shirts on the other hand I would prefer to have them sent out and pressed. Again, hopefully not comingled!

The laundry is returned with a small adhesive numbered tag (on the inside or hem of the garment). This identifies the lot that represents your bag.

My guess is they are combined into a large load with whatever separation is considered appropriate by those doing the work. Everything is then pressed, folded or placed on a hangar and returned to your suite.

If my laundry is being mixed in with the dirty laundry of other passengers then I'd prefer to do it myself using the self serve laundry on deck 5. For me, this would trump the inconvenience. What I paid for my cruise would be irrelevant at that point. Just don't want my clothing laundered with that of others!

I send my dirty clothes out to the Seabourn laundry because I don't mind if it's commingled with that of others. You see, I take for granted that Seabourn passengers' dirty laundry is not as "dirty" - and mine in particular - as that of passengers from other cruise lines (and hotels, for that matter) and especially that of mass market brands such as Holland America and Azamazamazing.

Besides, I cannot bring my own machine which I know all about already. And if I used the laundrettes I would be using the same water supply, intake and release water connections and laundry drum that others had previously used. Plus there is always the risk of running into disagreeable people there- especially the ones I know are reserving deck chairs all day on decks 5 and 10 who defy anyone from shifting their foreign language paperbacks, handbags and other clobber. Could get ugly if they were try to trump and outclass me there too.

I hope I have made my case. Does that make sense?

Happy sailing!

Markham - absolute sense. Anywhere where you send laundry I imagine it is 'commingled' with other peoples, surely?

I wash out the 'smalls' each evening - not a problem - and they dry overnight over the bath. The laundry makes a lovely job of the proper clothes, and now we have any amount free it is an even better deal.

I send my dirty clothes out to the Seabourn laundry because I don't mind if it's commingled with that of others. You see, I take for granted that Seabourn passengers' dirty laundry is not as "dirty" - and mine in particular - as that of passengers from other cruise lines (and hotels, for that matter) and especially that of mass market brands such as Holland America and Azamazamazing.

Besides, I cannot bring my own machine which I know all about already. And if I used the laundrettes I would be using the same water supply, intake and release water connections and laundry drum that others had previously used. Plus there is always the risk of running into disagreeable people there- especially the ones I know are reserving deck chairs all day on decks 5 and 10 who defy anyone from shifting their foreign language paperbacks, handbags and other clobber. Could get ugly if they were try to trump and outclass me there too.

I hope I have made my case. Does that make sense?

Happy sailing!

What about if one gets ones own yacht,then I suppose things become very different to sharing things on a public cruise ship.

I definitely like the private yacht idea. I would have my own washing machine and my own bathroom suite so I would not have to worry about those unknowns such as who was last in the bath and on the loo.

To be honest, though, until my boat comes in there won't be a yacht. So maybe I should bring on a mini washer, my own loo seat and flip flops for the shower. Obviously the tub and those jacuzzis are out of the question for obvious reasons.

I am feeling better now that I have a plan.

Happy sailing!

I definitely like the private yacht idea. I would have my own washing machine and my own bathroom suite so I would not have to worry about those unknowns such as who was last in the bath and on the loo.

And don't forget to install another set of washer & dryer for the staff to wash their items along with rags and other cleaning supplies, and install surveillance and security measures to make sure they don't use your personal set while you're not watching! :D

I've heard that some people will pack a good bit of clothing that's near the end of its life and throw it out before returning making for more bag space.

I've done that for a half marathon (when it started off cold, and ended much warmer....) but never on vacation. :)

I've heard that some people will pack a good bit of clothing that's near the end of its life and throw it out before returning making for more bag space.

This was part of the strategy that was suggested by our TA. He explained that it would free up space in the bags for souvenirs and gifts to be acquired while traveling. Interesting...maybe...

This was part of the strategy that was suggested by our TA. He explained that it would free up space in the bags for souvenirs and gifts to be acquired while traveling. Interesting...maybe...

An idea which would appeal to my better half who is always trying to get me to throw out old clothes and is immune to my argument that they are not old but comfortable.

However, as a practical matter, we buy very little when we are traveling as we have quite enough 'stuff' already.

To be honest, though, until my boat comes in there won't be a yacht. So maybe I should bring on a mini washer, my own loo seat and flip flops for the shower. Obviously the tub and those jacuzzis are out of the question for obvious reasons.

I am feeling better now that I have a plan.

Happy sailing!

Bring cutlery and glasses also towels as others have used them before.