Crazy tablemates

karensj

We have met some wonderful people cruising and some not so wonderful. We have talked with lovely people in line at the airport and waiting to board ship. Why is it that your tablemates end up being crazy. On my last cruise my sister and I had three tables mates that were hysterical.

All of them were single cruisers with a story to tell. The first guy reminded us of Brad Garrett on Everybody Loves Raymond. He talked just like him. He even the same build. The second guy was a Billy Bob Thorton clone from Sling Blade. The third was a women who had a million cats. All she did was complain about her son and husband. She was a hoot. She had us guess how old she was. I think I was suppose to guess low but I guessed within two years. My sister was a little more diplomatic, she guessed low. Funny thing is I never saw them anywhere on the ship during the cruise except at dinner.

Tell us about your tablemates. What will you remember most about them?

Karen

Well, I've been on 3 cruises, table for 8, table for 10, table for 6. Every table mate, with no exceptions, has been an absolute delight to dine with. We've been on shore excursions with some, shipboard activities with some, and just interesting conversations with others. Probably the craziest would be one of the newlywed couples on our last cruise. They won the newlywed game and you have to be a little crazy to do that:) There hasn't been a tablemate yet that I would hesitate to ask to join me again. Now would they all feel the same about asking me to join them?:rolleyes:

I love my husband but he is about as engaging during a mealtime as a tuna.. So we always go for a table for 8. I have had a couple bad experiences (waiters hitting on tablemates who pretended we were not there.. that was a hoot).. but for the most part it was a joy!

I've always had a large table, and in all my cruises had only tablemate who could be placed under the "crazy" heading.

You have to ply me with a great deal of liquor (or bribe me with pillow chocolates) to get me to talk about "The Hat Lady". (But it's worth it. ;) )

All of our tablemates have been wonderful...Except on our first cruise to the Mexican Riverra. This single woman (she left her sick husband home) she had her fir coat with her. Because she did not want to leave it in her cabin. She wore it everywhere, on the ship and on shore. It was the only fir coat on board.

All of our tablemates have been wonderful...Except on our first cruise to the Mexican Riverra. This single woman (she left her sick husband home) she had her fir coat with her. Because she did not want to leave it in her cabin. She wore it everywhere, on the ship and on shore. It was the only fir coat on board.

Did this lady have a "wooden" personality? :cool:

We always sit at a large table so there have been folks from time to time who were a bit odd....

There was a couple on one cruise who brought all of the right clothes with them -- they just wore them on the wrong nights. On evening they came to dinner ... he in his tux, she in a lovely gown ... too bad it was "Island Night" ! :D She said that they wondered WHY no one else was dressed for dinner....

Whatever, we love large tables. So many interesting people!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Sat at a table once with a 'Dark Shadows' fan. Anybody remember that show from the 60s? Well he loved to talk about this gothic soap like it was on TV yesterday. He knew all the players, what they were doing now and had a VHS tape of every show. It was all he talked about. Happy Sailing!

We have always been very fortunate to have great tablesmates for dinner. I still keep in contact via email with a few. But I must tell about a couple we were seated next to on our very first cruise during the midnite buffet. This was on RCL. (Don't take me wrong if this offends anyone) We were seated with a young couple that were celebrating their 10 year anniversery both of their parents paid to send them on this cruise. They were from Kentucky and they had 5 or 6 children at home. He thought that this midnight buffet was the only good thing about the cruise because he had a plate of Peel and Eat Shrimp that was piled 6 inches high. Now no offense to those who like peel and eat shrimp but I just will not work that hard to eat shrimp nor do I find it appetizing to see others peel and eat shrimp. Well, he went up to get at least 3 plates full while another plate sat at the table full of the shells. While he kept eating shrimp she kept complaining how she was so motion sick this whole cruise she could not keep anything down and they could not understand why anyone thought of this as a great vacation. It was definitely a different Midnight buffet and would you believe that is the last one I have attended.:o We actually laughed all the way back to our cabin, I guess you just had to be there it was really funny at the time.

Sat at a table once with a 'Dark Shadows' fan. Anybody remember that show from the 60s? Well he loved to talk about this gothic soap like it was on TV yesterday. He knew all the players, what they were doing now and had a VHS tape of every show. It was all he talked about. Happy Sailing!

Yes, I do remember it. I watched it from day 1 !!!!!:cool:

LAFFNVEGAS .... Gosh! After peeling all of those shrimp both he and his clothes would have been something I wouldn't have wanted to smell! :eek: No wonder she was sick the entire cruise! :rolleyes:

:D What do you think the odds would have been on his not showering before going to bed? :D

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I love big tables they are always interesting at 1 we were the only americans along with a dutch couple a canadian couple and a couple from scotland, another 2 brit couples and 2 canadian pairs, and the most fun a 10 top where we had children older than our 8 table mates they wanted to include us in everything and got us involved in things ill never admit to.

Our upcoming trip on Volendam could be another of those where you get involved in things you'll never admit to. But won't that be fun? *L* We'll have to make a pact among our contingent that "what happens in vegas, STAYS in vegas". Where did you get the info re a change in Volendam's itinerary? I just checked the HAL website and it shows the original itinerary including Tortola. Would like to know as we have a half day snorkel charter booked in Tortola.

I agree re big tables. We always enjoy the mix of people and chances are I'm going to be the weirdest one at the table *L* Get someone stranger than me and it's likely we've wandered off into the Bermuda Triangle.

We love being at a large table. Our TA asked if we wanted to be at a table for two seeing we are celebrating our 10th, but we said no. We will sit at a table for two in the Pinnacle on the night of our anniverary. But we enjoy meeting other people and on our last cruise we had a mother and daughter at our table that were so out of this world that you couldn't wait to get to dinner just to hear what happened to them that day. The one night the daughter didn't come to dinner and when we asked where she was the mother said "as far as I know she got so drunk at Carlo's and Charlie's she may have missed the ship...if so I'll see her when we get home". I almost fell out of my chair. The rest of us went and had a after dinner drink and we couldn't stop laughing. It was like this happened all the time. BTW, we did invite her to join us for a drink but she wanted to go see if she could find the man she had been eyeing all day.

It does take all kinds to make the world go round.

I love cruising and meeting new friends!!

Jodi

DW initially had some concerns on our first cruise years ago but she now likes larger tables. We've been at 4, 6 and 8 person tables and always had interesting tablemates and a great time. Only once did we have a couple who didn't like the group and they disappeared to another table or seating after 2 nights. Never had any particularly strange tablemates so no hats, no fur coats, no stuffed animals, etc. Maybe we've missed something? :) On the other hand, maybe we've been the strange tablemates? :rolleyes:

Oh, THAT'S funny!

Bill Ha Ha..Loved your story..We've always had fun & interesting tablemates on our cruises..The last group of tablemates on the "Amsterdam" were great!! ..We had such a wonderful time, and many times were the last table to leave the dining room..We also had a good time with our Waiter "Sugay" his Assistant "Harry" (who left the ship mid-cruise) & Head Waiter "Andy... They all were superb & helped to make it a wonderful dining experience !

Jerzzgirl...I see you have a Dachshund! Aren't they the greatest dogs? Our picture (above) is of "Brandy" our Wire-Haired Dachshund... She is so smart, funny & such a delight!

Betty & John

Randy...maybe that is my problem too:rolleyes: :confused: ....maybe I am the strange one........cannot seem to keep a full table on my cruises.......

Out of my last 5, I had 1 spectacular table:D ....5 friends from these boards...my TA cross-referenced us to sit together.......now, it was the first time we had all met "live" but I must say.......it was like we had known each other forever....

We had an absolutely fantastic, marvelous, fabulous week together:) .......

This was on the Mercury sailing from San Francisco....to Montery, Catalina Island and Cabo San Lucas.........one of the best cruises I have ever taken....

Archived