Hotels In Stockholm And Suggested Tours In Stockholm

DrJW

We Are Scheduled To Sail On The Regatta On 6-1-09...interested In Hearing From Passengers Who Are Sailing Prior To Us On This Same Cruise [from Stockholm To Dover] What Hotel They Are Staying At In Stockholm If They Opt For Staying There One Or Two Days Earlier Prior To Boarding The Regatta.

Also Any Suggestions For Tours In Stockholm For The One Day We Shall Be There Prior To Boarding And Also For The Following Day When We Board And Stay Overnight In Stockholm Aboard The Regatta.

Many Thanks For Suggestions...for Those Of You Sailing On This Cruise In The Next Several Months, Bon Voyage...look Forward To Hearing From You Prior To Your Cruise And Would Very Much Appreciate Hearing From You Upon Your Return With Any Comments You May Have!

Again, Thank You!

Jw

I'm not sailing with you, but in my opinion the one must-see sight in Stockholm is the Vasa Museum. "Vasa" was a Swedish naval ship that sunk on its maiden voyage in the early 1600's. It was discovered virtually entirely entact 30 or 40 years ago, raised, and is now on display in its own museum. Fascinating museum...and, much to our surprise, was a highlight of our 2 days in Stockholm.

Walking in the old-town area known as Gamla Stan is also an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon or evening. You can tour the Royal Palace and watch the Changing of the Guards ceremony. There are many cafes and restaurants in the area.

We also visited an outdoor museum called Skansen, kind of like a Swedish version of Colonial Williamsburg. If you've got nothing to do and lots of time to do it, it's worth a visit but personally I wouldn't go out of my way to visit unless you are REALLY interested in historical Swedish architecture.

We are on the cruise prior to yours and it is Rome to Stockholm.

We will overnight in Stockholm aboard the Regatta

We plan on doing the HOHO bus then day 2 in Stockholm we will head home.

I would also suggest the VASA museum

You can get the HOHO bus & and or canal boat to do the tourist things.

http://www.stockholmsightseeing.com/EN/STOCKHOLM/land-tours/hop-on-hop-off-bus.htm

Not on your cruise, but we are heading there next month on a very similar itinerary on the Celebrity Constellation (Stockholm to Harwich) and it will be our second visit to Stockholm...

This time, we are going to stay 3 nights pre-cruise (plus we have an "overnight" on the ship...

We have a room booked at the Hilton Slussen...

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/STOSLHI-Hilton-Stockholm-Slussen-hotel/index.do;jsessionid=6D364FCF3E207481EEF3643209C45769.etc34?brand_id=HI&brand_directory=/en/hi/&xch=113985571,UZN31IVZYA25CCSGBIYMVCQ

It's just to the south of Gammla Stan (the Old Town) and supposed to be very nice...Originally, we had booked the SAS Radisson Royal Viking, but switched, largely out of a concern of it being too busy and noisy...but the Royal Viking is not really that bad--it's in the center of downtown--immediately adjacent to the train station--which allows you to take an express train straight from the airport to the hotel...For the Hilton, we'll likely spring for a taxi from the airport direct to the Hilton...Others we considered were the Radisson Strand (which is supposed to be a step up from the Royal Viking with views of the water) and a number of smaller hotels right in the Old Town area (the Rica was one)...Go to tripadvisor.com for reviews and ideas...

I would concur on the Vasa being the top of the list of "must-sees"...It is flat out incredible...

We are also planning on buying a 24-hour pass for the hop-on, hop-off bus AND boat...

http://www.stockholmsightseeing.com/EN/STOCKHOLM/combination-tours/hop-on-hop-off-combination.htm

Part of the experience should be a boat ride around the archipelago...But also check the links on more specific tours...

Good luck...

The Sheraton Stockholm is quite nice, just one block from the pedastrian shopping street. We were there in 1999 and were happy with it. If you like more local flavour, try the Hotel Sergi Plaza, which is right on that pedastrian shopping street itself, but it can be a bit more expensive. Hope this helps

P.S. The Sergi Plaza may have changed hands/name, does anyone know? Just curious.

We have just returned from the repositioning, Rome-Stockholm. We were not given the option to stay on the ship overnite. The oncoming cruise did. We stayed at the HIlton. Ideal location--walk across the bridge and you're in Glama Stan. We took a boat tour of about 2 hours around the islands the make-up Stockholm. It was delightful. This was not a hoho. We researched and you can get to just about all the sites by public bus or metro. The Vasa museum was so well done. There are tours in various languages--don't miss it. The changing of the guard at the Palace varies according to the day of the week. We saw it on Wed.--were treated to the full show. Mounted band, cavalery and infantry--took almost an hour. We did find Stockholm to be a VERY expensive city. Many of the sires will give a "pensionsers" fee--if you are 65 or more. Happy to answer any questions you might have. Pat

We have just returned from the repositioning, Rome-Stockholm. We were not given the option to stay on the ship overnite.

It is not an "option" it is part of the cruise.

We arrive in Stockholm on Sunday May 31 & disembark on Monday Jun 1st

Not all cruises have the overnight at the end in this case we got lucky:D

Did you find you need SEK in Stockholm or would they take the Euro?

Glad you enjoyed the trip

We found that you do need SEK. Shops & restaurants would not take euros.

By the way, before you sit down in a restaurant, make sure they accept credit cards if you're planning to charge the meal. We forgot to do that one day in a restaurant in Gammla Stan. I had plenty of euros but not enough kroners and ended up wandering around the old town looking for an ATM while my partner chatted with the waiter. For a while, I thought we might end up washing dishes until I found an ATM and could get some more kroners.

My favorite Stockholm hotel is the Grand, one of the truly grand old European hotels. I think the Sheraton is better for business trips- after one stay the doorman there addressed me by name, and when I came back a year later, he remembered it!

Agree that the Vasa Museum should top your list. A truly amazing sight. We enjoyed the Ice Bar at the Nordic Sea Hotel. If you enjoy martinis, google Absolut Ice Bar Stockholm and consider making a reservation. Also, the Arlanda Express train to the airport is incredibly efficient, not just cheaper than a taxi but also faster. Station is steps from the Nordic Sea and Sheraton hotels, and you get off the train inside the airline terminal. Very impressive. Enjoy!

The Sheraton Hotel is in a wonderful location if you are walkers.

The views from the suites, jr.suites and executive rooms on the front of the hotel are fantastic. The hotel was refurbished in 2006. They also have a great buffet breakfast with those great Sweedish Pancakes...We would return on future trips.:)

Another vote for Hilton & another vote for the Arlanda Express & you can't beat the Hop On hop off since you only have a day. We even took a train (subway)from the main station to the Hilton because it has a stop right at the Hilton (50 feet away). We did need SEK or credit card. For an inexpensive meal (and fun) go to the big dept. store (HK?) & their food hall. Wow. If you plan on taking wine on board, there is a beautiful wine store (gov't owned like an ABC) close to another spectacular international food hall - the name escapes me but your hotel can tell you - with a fantastic selection. Certainly pricier than in the US, but not awful & you don't have to schlep it from home. They even have a huge selection of boxed, yes boxed, wines from everywhere! Like a Disneyland for wino-s. When we were there 2 years ago, there was an exhibit of Queen Silvia's gowns at the Palace. Wow! You need more time........

We had a great half day excursion to Drottningholm castle. It was very worthwhile and interesting. They take you in a boat each way for a two hour visit of the old building. The Royal Family was in residence at the time. The tour departs from in front of the City Hall which should be toured. There is a lot of information about the Nobel prizes which are handed out there. Also take a look at the Grand Hotel.

The Vasa is a do not miss.

Skansen is OK to walk around for a short visit, and there is a zoo there which is not much. The period buildings are very interesting, however.

We stayed at the Mornington at 53 Nyborgarten. Great buffet breakfast.

Small rooms but very neat and clean. We had a "deluxe" room that included A/C and a safe. Two other couples with us paid a bit less and told us there was no safe of A/C.

Walking to the Vasa Museum and Galma Stan was a easy and not a great distance. There are several nice restaurants and a state run liquor store close to the hotel. We bought our wine at reasonable prices in Stockholm. We used the duty free store on the airplane to buy a bottle of Vodka. Prices for spirits other then wine are more then double what we pay in the states.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Lilla Radmannan, a little bit away from the old town but close to the subway. We took public transit all over the place, buying a day pass at the local 7/11 - they are all over the place!

It was a lovely city and we really enjoyed the Vasa Museum and walking around Gamla Stan. Then we walked back up the pedestrian mall street back to our hotel. Too bad we were only there one day - I would love to go back but it is very expensive.

We were there for the "Taste of Stockholm" festival and ate dinner there for a more or less reasonable price.

It's a lovely city with parks everywhere, and the people are very friendly and helpful.

Enjoy!

Pam

We enjoyed the Ice Bar at the Nordic Sea Hotel. If you enjoy martinis, google Absolut Ice Bar Stockholm and consider making a reservation.

One of the best parts about overnighting in Stockholm is that you can "do" the Ice Bar after all of the day trippers/cruise passengers are gone.

We got to the ice bar at 8pm, it was mobbed. By 10pm there were only 6 people in the place (this was on a Saturday night, last July).

Do try their "Swedish Special" cocktail, made from lingonberries.......

stockholm111.jpg

Hint: Although the ICE BAR provides Parka like capes and gloves, we saw people wearing Playtex rubber gloves under the loaned ones. They are light, waterproof and enable you to hold the "made from ice" glasses without frostbite!

icebar01.jpg

Archived