what deck to choose

moon700

Because my husband has a tendency towards motion sickness, we choose a cabin as low and midships as possible. I also like to have cabins, and not public areas, above and below me for the quiet.

I think it depends on the ship. We're booked on a cruise where we are above the pool area. I think the more important thing is the location of the cabin on the deck you are on. I try and stay away from the elevator or stairs area. I don't get seasick so I like the very front or aft of the ship, this keeps the foot traffic down near your cabin. Of course on the other hand if you like hearing screaming kids running down the hallway get a cabin midships.

We don't suffer from motion sickness but still try to book cabins in the midhips area and without public areas above or below us. With a midships cabin there is less chance of spilling your pre-dinner martini.;)

We don't find that deck makes a big difference usually, but we like an area with no potentially loud public areas above or below us to prevent possible noise problems. Not all the way forward (in heavy seas too much motion) and on some ships don't want to be all the way aft as there can be vibration which we don't like. With that said, our midship range can still be pretty wide. Not directly across from stairwells/elevators but just a few doors down is fine.

We like deck 9 or 8 towards/in the bow (front). This is the deck usually with the buffet and pools. The buffet is close for moring coffee before breakfast, things are going on nearby in the day, its easy to go back to your cabin for anything you forgot and it usually has fewer cabins so its easier to find your luggage among all the suitcases when you leave the ship. And it has the color tags that are one of first called to disembark!

It really does depend on you. We love the motion of cabins forward or aft and on upper decks. Last cruise we were midships and commented to each other how we missed the motion.

Forward cabins also give us the opportunity to walk through more of the ship which doesn't bother us at all.

We do try to avoid cabins below really active areas like the pool deck where there may be chairs moved in the early morning hours or the disco with the late night "boom-boom".

We have had cabins under the theater with no problem. Some people report that forward cabins have noise from the anchor when the ship stops at tender ports. We're usually up before the ship arrives at port so it's another non-problem for us.

If price is a factor the lower decks are sometimes the "cheap seats".:p We've done that before also.

Charlie

We like deck 9 or 10 stern. The only vibration we have ever noticed was coming into port or leaving when they have to move side-ways. We love the wake of the ship and the view can't be beat. Most ships have larger balconies from the stern and we spend alot of time on them.

Since the pool is where you'll find me, I want to be on the deck below the pool! It makes running back and forth to the cabin a breeze. Try to pick a deck close to where you'll spend most of your time. One or two flights of stairs isn't bad, but trying to go up 8 flights (or wait and wait for an elevator) gets old really fast!

What ship? What cruiseline? This information is very important in helping you choose a cabin.

However, in general, you've gotten the best advice here. Midship location, near the elevator/stairs lobby is ideal. So is making sure the disco, a bar/lounge, etc is not directly above or below you. Many people say that the higher up you are, the better. However on Royal Caribbean's Voyager/Freedom class ships, we like being on Deck 6 or Deck 7 because of the convenience to the Promenade, show venues, dining rooms, etc.

I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed seeing others who enjoy the "motion of the ocean" :) ! We've never had a problem with noise, either.

We prefer a cabin on a deck between other pax cabins, but aren't picky about being fore or aft.

I do agree with the other posters; if you're prone to sea sickness (or air sickness or car sickness :( ) you'll be better off on a lower deck, midships.

I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed seeing others who enjoy the "motion of the ocean" :) ! We've never had a problem with noise, either.

We prefer a cabin on a deck between other pax cabins, but aren't picky about being fore or aft.

I do agree with the other posters; if you're prone to sea sickness (or air sickness or car sickness :( ) you'll be better off on a lower deck, midships.

We picked 11501 on our upcoming NCL Spirit cruise just because of it's forward location:D

34_439_D11_250_1170_2FEB04.gif

Also, we can pop out of our door and in to the bridge viewing gallery and see if the Captain would mind going all ahead full for a few minutes:p

Charlie

It didn't seem like the motion was as strong when we stayed in a cabin at the back of the ship as it was when we stayed in the front. No more bows for us! We were sick as dogs the last night of that cruise.
I think you are correct on the motion at the bow. We've been high, low, fore and aft. Forward and up are the most motion prone IMHO.

Charlie

We're usually only in our room to sleep, shower, nap, or change clothes, so we prefer an inside cabin. We try to get a cabin on the highest deck and aft-most location available that is not near stairways, elevators, or utility rooms.:)

Bottom line it's all about location. Unless it's a special cabin ( i.e. aft deck balcony), they are all pretty much the same in whatever category you choose. We like the cabins by the aft elevators, which seem to service most of the areas that you go to on a regular basis during the day. Mid decks (i.e. 6, 7, 8) give you good access to wherever you want to go because both elevators and stairs are an option.

I like to be in a balcony cabin, high up, Verandah, Panorama or Lido... and love the motion toward the bow. On our most recent cruise however we were near the Atrium elevators on Verandah which was more mid-ship than I've had before...and it was very, very nice. We'll also be near the Atrium elevators on Verandah deck on the upcoming Glory cruise. After that it's deck 11 mini-suite, forward once again ;), on the Jewel. As far as I'm concerned there are no bad places...after all I'm cruising!

Archived