Cruise Critic Community
Copper10-8

Your first cruise ship

On 8/12/2019 at 11:28 AM, cruising46 said:

RCCL Legend of the Seas in 1992.   14 Day Panama Canal Cruise.    Outside room with small pothole.    Had so much fun.    Took excursions, entered every event, (learnt to not do this) and throughly enjoyed it all.    Have since taken over 20 cruises on RCCL, Celebrity, Holland American, Princess, Norwegian.     Travel solo, with friends, etc.etc.  Next cruise Celebrity Summit to Bermuda and Sojourn from Athens to Dubai.    

It wouldn't have been Legend of the Seas or it wouldn't have been 1992.  Legend's inaugural season wasn't until 1995.

First "cruise" was probably Cunard Countess in 1989 that went to St. Maarten, St. Barthelemy, Guadeloupe, St. Lucia, Antigua and St. Thomas.

I don't consider my early experiences on the Lurline, Matsonia, President Wilson and President Roosevelt because they weren't what I'd call "cruises"; they were "transport in style". We lived in Hawaii in the late 50's, early 60's and using the ocean liners was more comfortable than flying (until jets) back to California and almost a necessity in going to Asia and the South Pacific.

On 10/8/2019 at 6:16 PM, The Mikado said:

The Matson Lines S.S. Lurline from Honolulu to Los Angeles, circa 1967. 

I loved that ship

10 hours ago, Kentchikan said:

I loved that ship

You're dating yourself.

As am I, come to think of it. 🙂

Still, it provides a good perspective on just how far the cruise industry has come.

4 hours ago, The Mikado said:

You're dating yourself.

As am I, come to think of it. 🙂

Still, it provides a good perspective on just how far the cruise industry has come.

Cruising in those days was phenomonal

I mentioned a while back that my first cruise was on the Carnival Celebration in 1992.  Well, I just sailed on her again as the Grand Celebration with Bahamas Paradise Cruise Lines.  She's been well taken care of.  Brought back a lot of memories.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:24 PM, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

I mentioned a while back that my first cruise was on the Carnival Celebration in 1992.  Well, I just sailed on her again as the Grand Celebration with Bahamas Paradise Cruise Lines.  She's been well taken care of.  Brought back a lot of memories.

Thanks for your post.  BPCL attracts me because of their use of Celebration and Costa Classica.  Grand Classica is of more interest to me than Grand Celebration for a short cruise this Winter.  I don't care where they sail; just the ship experience is enough for me.

Our first cruise ship was the Ocean Princess back in 2000 on a 7 day southern caribbean cruise out of San Juan. She now sails out of England as P&O's Oceana.