Woman missing on the Pearl

wrp96

Is there any chance she was left in Cozumel?

If she was left in Cozumel, the ship would have known since she would have not swiped back onboard. The onboard system of swiping on and off is great, so we always know who is left in port in case someone doesn't make it back to the ship.

If she was left in Cozumel, the ship would have known since she would have not swiped back onboard. The onboard system of swiping on and off is great, so we always know who is left in port in case someone doesn't make it back to the ship.

But it's not 100% accurate because there are occassional computer glitches. My DH and I were the victims of one. The computer said my DH had not reboarded the ship. The ship was about to leave port, I was about ready to step off the ship with our IDs, etc. and go to the authorities, and my sister was frantic waiting with me. Fortunately, my BIL found my DH and ran downstairs to let us know.

I don't see why the opposite couldn't also happen where the computer either doesn't show a pax left the ship at all (when, in fact, he or she has) or a system glitch records a reboarding that didn't actually happen.

It's rare to be sure, but it's not impossible.

beachchick

But it's not 100% accurate because there are occassional computer glitches. My DH and I were the victims of one. The computer said my DH had not reboarded the ship. The ship was about to leave port, I was about ready to step off the ship with our IDs, etc. and go to the authorities, and my sister was frantic waiting with me. Fortunately, my BIL found my DH and ran downstairs to let us know.

I don't see why the opposite couldn't also happen where the computer either doesn't show a pax left the ship at all (when, in fact, he or she has) or a system glitch records a reboarding that didn't actually happen.

It's rare to be sure, but it's not impossible.

beachchick

True but if you look at the time she was reported missing then it sounds like the ship showed her as on board. If not they would have been announcing her name and I'm sure the husband wouldn't of waited till the middle of the night to report her missing if announcements were being made.

True but if you look at the time she was reported missing then it sounds like the ship showed her as on board. If not they would have been announcing her name and I'm sure the husband wouldn't of waited till the middle of the night to report her missing if announcements were being made.

Of course you're absolutely right in this case. I was just responding to the comment that "we always know who is left in port" as a generalization because that isn't true 100% of the time. It's probably true 99.99% of the time, but that 0.01% can get you. No matter how accurate a computer program is, there can still be errors.

Imagine what would have happened had my BIL not found my DH (who was in the Solarium relaxing)? Because of a cruise line computer error, I would have been the one left alone in port not knowing that my DH was actually onboard the ship. Then I would have had to get to the ship at the next port (with only my IDs, CCs, some cash, a couple of days worth of meds, and a change of undies in my backpack to see me through 2 days). At that point, I guarantee I would not have had any confidence that the cruise line port reps would have helped me in any way. I had already talked to the ship's security staff and officers. They told me that the only thing I could do was leave the ship with our necessary items and then go to the local authorities. They were, literally, no help at all and took that attitude that "the computer is always right." Oops...They didn't even say, "Gosh, we were wrong" after all that happened.

Not only were my sister and I upset that something might have happened to my DH (who is one of those "get to the ship earlier than the cut-off" super responsible types), but passenger services desk refused to even page him. Really, how hard would it have been to broadcast, "Will Mr. Beachguy please contact passenger services immediately"? But, "Our policy is that we never page passengers because we'd be doing it all day long." Excuse me? We're talking about one pax who may or may not be about to be left behind. In point of fact, there were 27 other pax listed as not onboard when the ship departed shortly after my DH had been found. (You should have seen me and my sister swarm all over my DH, hugging him and pracitically crying from relief.)

In any case, this current situation is tragic. Regardless of what happened, the family left behind will suffer horribly. My heart goes out to them. (And you just know the sensationalistic so-called news shows will leap on this as "another" horrible cruise ship story. Never mind the number of people who go missing during land vacations or even just day-to-day. Noooo, it's a cruise ship and this will be portrayed as yet another reason why cruising is "dangerous," etc. That kind of inaccurate portrayal really bothers me.)

beachchick

Cruise ship passenger reported missing near Cancun

• Authorities say 36-year-old Jennifer Feitz's husband
  • reported her missing from the Norwegian Pearl just before 5 a.m. EST Friday.

• Funny time of day...hmmm...
  • At 5 a.m. I'm snuggled in bed with my wife..in my cabin

You know getting rid of somebody at sea by pushing them overboard could possibly be the perfect crime.How is anybody going to find out what really happened to this women?If no one saw her go overboard.....:eek:

You've got that right! If no one sees you push anyone over the side it's just about the perfect crime. No body to examine (99 % of the time) & if you an get them liquored up before hand, all the better. They're still looking for Natalee Holloway and she wasn't even sailing hundreds of miles off shore!

Maybe I'd better rethink that balcony cabin after all. ;)

During a trip on the Legend in 2003, we were on the Lido having something to eat before departing St. Thomas. All of a sudden, I heard my name being paged to call the Pursers desk. I was so scared. I thought that something might have happened to my Mom, who at the time, was 80 (she turned 85 3 days ago). They were just checking to see if I was onboard, because my card had not scanned correctly, and it didn't show I had returned to the ship. So I know personally, it happens.

Christmas/New Year is a very very common time for suicides. The end of what a person thinks was a lousy year and the start of a new year that they convince themselves will be just as bad....a case of same sh*t, different day.

No end of people choose this time of year to end it....they just cannot face another year.

Anyone suicidal rarely, if ever, thinks about afterwards and what their actions will do to the rest of the family, all they know is that they cannot carry on anymore.

I think this could be the first Caribbean overboard since young David Ritcheson jumped off Ecstacy last summer....he had been through hell and despite outward appearance, just couldn't handle life anymore, and where better to make sure that it is the end than jumping from a ship underway.

Very sad for all involved, future Christmases will be very bleak from here on in.

• Funny time of day...hmmm...
  • At 5 a.m. I'm snuggled in bed with my wife..in my cabin

_________

I would frequently go out on the balcony in the middle of the night and sit. My DH didn't even know I had gone out and come back in. He also did the same without me knowing. If one of us had fallen off or whatever, we may not realize they were missing until the morning:eek:....and we do get up early to watch the sun rise or to watch getting into port.

Oh, how I hate these stories. :( Whether accident, alcohol, foul play, suicide... whatever.... what a sad conclusion to a much-anticipated vacation, and how disturbing for the crew and the other passengers on board.

It's going to be sobering when we're on that very ship in March to think of what happened to that girl :( I hope they find her :(

And if you have a bridge tour, you will see how the cameras work on watching the balconies, and elsewhere. :)

Exactly and they will share the fact that there are over 2000 cameras on the Pearl. It may take days but they will be able to collect video tracking this poor womens movements from the time she boarded the ship in Cancun.

I'm going to say this... I do not see how anyone could just fall overboard. I do not think it is possible unless they are doing something they shouldn't be, like the woman on the Dawn or unless they intentionally jump. The only other way would be for someone to throw them overboard. In May of this year when we got on the Star it was shortly after that lady fell overboard on the Dawn. We went around the Star just seeing where all the railing came up to us and every where it came up to right below my chest. So just guessing, I would say it was at least 4.5 feet high every where we checked. Unless you were extremely tall I don't know how anyone could accidentially fall overboard.

I'm going to say this... I do not see how anyone could just fall overboard. I do not think it is possible unless they are doing something they shouldn't be, like the woman on the Dawn or unless they intentionally jump. The only other way would be for someone to throw them overboard. In May of this year when we got on the Star it was shortly after that lady fell overboard on the Dawn. We went around the Star just seeing where all the railing came up to us and every where it came up to right below my chest. So just guessing, I would say it was at least 4.5 feet high every where we checked. Unless you were extremely tall I don't know how anyone could accidentially fall overboard.

It is impossible to accidently fall overboard and it doesn'tn matter how tall someone is. To get over any ship's railing, one would have to have help...such as a chair to stand on or be picked up and thrown overboard.

Beachchick - "In any case, this current situation is tragic. Regardless of what happened, the family left behind will suffer horribly. My heart goes out to them. (And you just know the sensationalistic so-called news shows will leap on this as "another" horrible cruise ship story. Never mind the number of people who go missing during land vacations or even just day-to-day. Noooo, it's a cruise ship and this will be portrayed as yet another reason why cruising is "dangerous," etc. That kind of inaccurate portrayal really bothers me.)"

I so totally agree with you. I am so sensitive to the mass media portraying these unfortunate incidents as "the norm". Lump in the spread of viruses aboard, and my word, we'd all be dead!!

Another thing to remember is that there are no cameras watching the balconies, only the public areas.

Actually there are. I took a tour of the bridge and there was a monitor that showed the balcony's, so yes there are cameras watching the balcony's. There was also video of the lady on the Dawn that was trying to climb from one balcony to another.

Archived