Woman missing on the Pearl

wrp96

Heck, look at what happened in California at a Christmas Party, all those people dead, just because a failed marriage! The guy even shot a child in the face and then went off and killed himself, we live in sad times...

But it's true, those balcony rooms, espiecially the stern balcony rooms, darn there aren't even that many people back there, there are freaks everywhere!

We all need to pray, and pray hard, for that female's family!

UPDATED: 8:43 am EST December 27, 2008

MIAMI -- The U.S. Coast Guard will resume searching for a missing cruise ship passenger who may have gone overboard near Cancun, Mexico.

The Coast Guard stopped the search for 36-year-old Jennifer Feitz during the night, but a spokesman said the search will resume Saturday. The Coast Guard will search with a C-130 aircraft.

Authorities said Feitz's husband reported her missing from the Norwegian Pearl just before 5 a.m. Friday. Her hometown was not available.

Norwegian Cruise Line said the ship left Sunday from Miami for a seven-day western Caribbean cruise.

from

http://www.justnews.com/news/18365718/detail.html?rss=mia&psp=news

Mexico's Fifth Naval Regional Command said in a statement that by late Friday it had found no sign of Feitz and was having to deal with "adverse conditions" and strong waves in the search taking place just over 17 miles east of Cancun.

from

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-bk-missing-cruise-ship-passenger-122708,0,4485302.story

When my husband left a shopping area to reboard ahead of me on one cruise, I gave him my watch and told him to leave it in the cabin when he got back on board so that I would know for sure he was on the ship. I was with others cruisers so I did not need my watch. Found my watch in the cabin when I reboarded so I knew my husband was on the ship somewhere - peace of mind for sure!!!

It is impossible to accidently fall overboard and it doesn'tn matter how tall someone is. To get over any ship's railing, one would have to have help...such as a chair to stand on or be picked up and thrown overboard.

I agree, there is no way that you accidently fall overboard...you have to have some kind of help or standing on something...I hope for the family they find her so that there is some kind of closure

Hi Fan-O-Cruzin

What a great idea! My DH loves to "roam" early in the am while I catch up on my sleep. Not at all uncommon for me to wake and only think he's somewheres onboard and will return soon. A note or a signal of some sort is an excellent idea.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

countdown.pl?name=kcwingwalker&date=1-25-2009&image=Beach-8&text=&ship=Norwegian Spirit

Are there cameras that watch the side of the ship?

Yes, sort of. Just look at how much "territory" that camera has to cover. It may or may not pick up what they are looking for.

====================

Are there more of these things happening?

I doubt it. I think it is a case of more ways of reporting these days. People can actually post to the internet from onboard. And so many people now have cell phones onboard as well.

====================

Will this delay or change other cruises?

Nope. This stuff happens and they continue on.

====================

Will some people think cruising is dangerous?

Yep, there are people that do not grasp logic and reality. They forget about the thousands that die each week in murders, accidental shootings, car accidents, falling at home, etc. etc.

====================

Would you know where you spouse is all night?

Maybe, maybe not. My wife and I have each been known to get up in the middle of the night and not wake the other. Just happens.

====================

Will they find this woman?

Pretty slim chance. The sea is rather unforgiving.

====================

Will folks come on here and be ready to blame somebody?

Yep, for sure.

====================

I feel bad for the family and everyone else that is trying to find an answer, and will most probably come up empty, and of course the family that lost a loved one.

When my husband left a shopping area to reboard ahead of me on one cruise, I gave him my watch and told him to leave it in the cabin when he got back on board so that I would know for sure he was on the ship. I was with others cruisers so I did not need my watch. Found my watch in the cabin when I reboarded so I knew my husband was on the ship somewhere - peace of mind for sure!!!

Bravo. Wonderful idea.

Maybe the couple was traveling in an inside or oceanview cabin? Seems like there is a lot of assumption that they where traveling in a balcony. Just a thought and I know that it is a non-issue, now, as she is gone and somehow ended up off the ship.

Having been on the Pearl for her initial Transatlantic crossing and being in the security field, I took note of the amount of cameras on her. I could not find a single public area that was not covered. She was touted at the time as having the most numbers of cameras and caling than any other ship afloat.

That said, I know for fact that the ship has cameras down the lines. That is cameras that look from the bridge aft on both starboard and port side. There is also a camera on the stern. So if she fell overboard, one would hope that they were operating at the time.

I am sure just as they did in the Dawn incident, it will be a few days before NCL come out wih their crafted statement.

I wonder what happened to that young couple that was on their Honeymoon.....the guy went missing. They were both drunk and partying without the other. I thought that was odd for a HONEYMOON. :confused:

I am not attached at the hip to my husband but I was on our honeymoon.

he was ruled dead. the family got something like $1million from RCCL (i think) it was MOST LIKELY foul play.

that cruise was also me and my husband's honeymoon. it was really REALLY bizarre.

to answer the person about whether or not people on the ship know someone went overboard the answer is yes.

on that particular cruise our next stop was Turkey and everyone got off the boat as normal and went about their business. apparently during the day Coast Guard and FBI and all sorts of governemtn types with dogs and stuff were all over the ship (didnt see this as we were off the boat in Turkey)

my husband and i ate lunch at the buffet and looked out the window wondering why the lifeboats were tooling around in the pier, something we had never seen before. we thought they were getting more food for the boat or something. nope they were looking for a body. :eek:

that night the captain made a very non-chalant announcement over the loud speaker that someone had gone overboard and thats why there were so many government officials on board that day (again me and my husband didnt see them)

and then he was like "the weather is going to be blah blah, we are sailing to blah blah" like he didnt just announce someone fell off the boat.

i remember sitting in my cabin and looking at my husband going WHAT DID HE JUST SAY?!?!?!?

VERY VERY VERY ODD.

This happened last spring too, don't remember the ship. Same type story, a husband or significant other reported his wife "missing". Her family said no way she accidently fell overboard but the ship said she was trying to crawl from one balcony to another (in high seas yet) and fell! Methinks some husbands were watching this and have found an almost foolproof way to dispose of an unwanted wife or other...and to be politically correct I suppose I must say a wife could also do this to a husband (if she's a weight lifter and olympic competitor).

Here is another story about it on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/12/26/missing.cruise.passenger/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

How can this happen?[/quote]

any one of a number of ways...........but it's pretty difficult to just fall overboard by accident.

It's very difficult to just fall over, railings are too high

Had a cruise line waiter stay at my house who told me these things happen quite often

The number one cause is passengers getting drunk or just horse playing around and climb on the railing, then falling over. Remember a guy on Carnival who climbed the rail to relieve himself and fell over. He actually swam a mile or more back to San Juan

Suicide is another cause, recall a crew member who got a "Dear John" from his girlfriend and committed suicide jumping over.

Of course their is always the possibility of murder.

It is very very rare, in fact I cannot recall any incident where the cruise lines was at fault although the media tries to make it like they are.

Are there cameras that watch the side of the ship?

Yes, sort of. Just look at how much "territory" that camera has to cover. It may or may not pick up what they are looking for.

====================

I feel bad for the family and everyone else that is trying to find an answer, and will most probably come up empty, and of course the family that lost a loved one.

Having viewed the cameras on the Bridge, this statement is not true. You can see all balconies on both sides of the ship, plus the balconies in the Courtyard, Garden Villa area.

Originally posted by Iwilder

This happened last spring too, don't remember the ship. Same type story, a husband or significant other reported his wife "missing". Her family said no way she accidently fell overboard but the ship said she was trying to crawl from one balcony to another (in high seas yet) and fell! Methinks some husbands were watching this and have found an almost foolproof way to dispose of an unwanted wife or other...and to be politically correct I suppose I must say a wife could also do this to a husband (if she's a weight lifter and olympic competitor).

You are refering to the Dawn, and actually her boyfried was cleared of any wrong doing because of those security cameras. They captured her trying to crawl to the other balcony. Her parents had him in the electric chair until that footage came out and they havent been heard from since. Her parents live in the next town over from me

Tounge in cheek

From the not missing but mislaid department:

From the not missing but mislaid department: Monday CND ran an article about a Fascination passenger who reported that her cabinmate wasn't in her cabin when she woke up. After searching the ship it turned out he was missing, and the Coast Guard was called in to search the path the ship had sailed since he was last seen. One cruise executive dropped us a line to let us know that these days more often than not when a cabinmate is reported "missing" and not in the cabin in the morning, it turns out that the person somehow managed to be sleeping in the wrong cabin, and is amazed that the person in bed with them isn't their original cabinmate. I guess one bed was too hard, and they checked another one that was too soft and they kept going until they found one that was j-u-s-t right.

I just really hope this doesn't turn into the kind of thread that the one about the lady that fell off the Dawn turned into. Where the husband is found guilty before we know any facts at all. On that thread there were some horrible things said about the man that lady was traveling with and it turned out to be of her own doing. Even her family slayed him in the media before they knew the facts. The only thing we know for sure is the lady on the Pearl is missing and her family is in hell right now hoping against all hope that she will be returned to them.

my husband and i ate lunch at the buffet and looked out the window wondering why the lifeboats were tooling around in the pier, something we had never seen before. we thought they were getting more food for the boat or something. nope they were looking for a body. :eek:

Why were they looking for a body near the pier? Maybe they were just conducting crew lifeboat drills?

Why were they looking for a body near the pier? Maybe they were just conducting crew lifeboat drills?

Sounds like a regular crew lifeboat drill to me. If a body went over you would hear oscar oscar oscar.

Also on another note the cameras that look down the side of the ship are very HD ones and can pretty much catch anything.

Archived