A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Thanks I will do that.It is so easy to keep track of your spending now that you can just look it up on your TV.I think 1000$ will do it with money refunded.

Unfortunately you can not view your bill on a HAL ship TV.

But you can go to the front office any time you want to and ask for a copy of your bill.

What we do is list our receipts each day and keep a running total. Then on the last day of the cruise we will compare it with our statement. A majority of the time it is close enough that we don't worry about it. Once in awhile, though something will happen, like someone else's bar tab getting added to our bill by mistake, that has to be reconciled. The point here is you really do not want to wait until the day you disembark to see if you have a problem.

I always have our concierges run off a bill about day #4 to make certain that all the shipboard credits that we are due are there. A couple of times we have had problems.

On longer cruises I still have the concierges run off our bill for us about every 4 or 5 days -- easier to keep things aright and not have to fuss at the end of the cruise.

Unfortunately you can not view your bill on a HAL ship TV.

But you can go to the front office any time you want to and ask for a copy of your bill.

But fortunately, you CAN view your bill on a X (Celebrity) ship TV!

Come on HAL, get with the program!:mad:

I always have our concierges run off a bill about day #4 to make certain that all the shipboard credits that we are due are there. A couple of times we have had problems.

On longer cruises I still have the concierges run off our bill for us about every 4 or 5 days -- easier to keep things aright and not have to fuss at the end of the cruise.

I wouldn't know what to do with a concierge if we had one! Can he fetch beer?:rolleyes: I looked it up and it is French probably from Vulgar Latin. I don't know any Latins let alone vulgar ones.:D

I wouldn't know what to do with a concierge if we had one! Can he fetch beer?:rolleyes: I looked it up and it is French probably from Vulgar Latin. I don't know any Latins let alone vulgar ones.:D

We book the cheap seats so, without the concierge services, we go to the Front Desk halfway thru the cruise and request a printout of our onboard account. They are happy to provide that to you.

DBA ... I am sorry to see that this thread has been removed from the Sticky area of the board. Much helpful information here. Hopefully, if you gets lots of questions on this thread, it will pretty much stay page 1 or 2 ... and be easy for everyone to find.:D

DBA ... I am sorry to see that this thread has been removed from the Sticky area of the board. Much helpful information here. Hopefully, if you gets lots of questions on this thread, it will pretty much stay page 1 or 2 ... and be easy for everyone to find.:D

Thanks Camp. I emailed the hosts about it, and it seems that they believe as the page has become "discussion as opposed to information" it no longer warrants a sticky. They also advised they believe the Sticky threads go unseen/ignored so in their mind it is better that it is not.

While I personally have a different opinion, I am of course a guest on these boards and will comply with any decisions that are made. I hope that interest in my blog and the information I can provide keeps this thread toward the top as well!

Thanks for the blog, I have enjoyed reading it regularly as we have been planning our first HAL cruise since last July. Now that it is coming up in two short weeks, I wonder if you have access to the Alaska menus for 2010 that could be posted? One of my favorite pre-cruise activities is to salivate over the menus for our upcoming cruise and anticipate the various dishes I might like to enjoy! I loved looking at the Amsterdam menu you posted on your blog and it left me wanting more!

Your blog is invaluable. Perhaps you can answer this question. We are booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam, 24 day "Magic of the Mediterranean", August 19th. This is also sold as two 12 day cruises(Venice to Venice and Venice to Barcelona, with a "turn-around" overnight in Venice. We are trying to maximize our time in Venice. On the turn-around day, what will be the procedure for the 24 day folks (we are not changing cabins). Must we disembark and go thru the embarkation porcedure a second time? Will we need new boarding passes, etc., or will we have the free time during the day in Venice. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks Camp. I emailed the hosts about it, and it seems that they believe as the page has become "discussion as opposed to information" it no longer warrants a sticky. They also advised they believe the Sticky threads go unseen/ignored so in their mind it is better that it is not.

While I personally have a different opinion, I am of course a guest on these boards and will comply with any decisions that are made. I hope that interest in my blog and the information I can provide keeps this thread toward the top as well!

Well, I am confused. what are the questions I see on this board. Can you help me with this? Who is the captain? How do I.....? sure some members might discuss, but overall it is a very informative board. feel free to send this to the hosts if you want.

on the bright side, I do think a lot of people look at stickies as rules and skip them, so maybe it is better that you're not there. As long as people keep posting, people will see you and post.

Still I looked on this as information, and very good and very helpful, so if that is the definition of a sticky, this should have remained as so.

Just my opinion,

jacqui

Well, I am confused. what are the questions I see on this board. Can you help me with this? Who is the captain? How do I.....? sure some members might discuss, but overall it is a very informative board. feel free to send this to the hosts if you want.

on the bright side, I do think a lot of people look at stickies as rules and skip them, so maybe it is better that you're not there. As long as people keep posting, people will see you and post.

Still I looked on this as information, and very good and very helpful, so if that is the definition of a sticky, this should have remained as so.

Just my opinion,

jacqui

If you go back a few posts, you'll see members who feel they possess the infinite wisdom of everything HAL, actually arguing with the OP of this thread, who happens to be employed by HAL. Those same members feel they have to start answering questions directed to the OP, based on their own "vast experience" and "inside knowledge":cool:

DBA..I just looked at the photos you posted of the Rotterdam and was really impressed..do you have a favorite ship and if so why?

Hey! It's not about me... it's about you guys getting the info you want! :D

But since you asked... got a snack and beverage? Comfy place to sit? Good, this will take a while...

Kidding :D

My "favorites" as far as ships and cruises are usually because of the experience and staff and not because of a particular lido pool sculpture or anything.

HOWEVER, for the memories that the staff helped to create, I would have to say Westerdam. There's some really special memories that will never be forgotten because of all those folks!

As far as the ship itself and the public rooms and all that, I think I would have to say Rotterdam of all the ships I've seen in the fleet so far (Only 3 S Class, Prinsendam, Zuiderdam and the Signature Class to go and I MAY have a chance to see Zuiderdam next month and I'm going on Eurodam in December) And for all of the reasons I've put on my blog so far. I think I'm one of the crazy few that prefers the Pinnacle on R Class (I know, I know... no windows, although the art approach in Volendam isn't my most favorite ever), Mix is incredible and the fact the shop's new look and lightbulbs don't wash out the intimacy of the various areas at night is awesome. The Showroom at Sea was just incredible and I think a few people in the office wish I would shut up about it and Mix :)

There are some really good things happening on the S Class and Rotterdam right now, and it took me actually on one of the ships to truly become a believer of it :)

Great answer...I believe "the people" factor makes any experience better...

Do you think that Hal has already chosen and trained the staff for the Nieuw Amsterdam? I read on the Nieuw Amsterdam blog that the ship went out for a sea trial, how long are those trials? I mean do they just go up and down the coast once and that's it... Last question and do they do a test run with the staff, and ship say for a week in rough water etc., or would that be too cost prohibitive?

Thanks

I was looking for ships coming into Venice on AIS and caught 'Niew Amsterdam' in the Adriatic. I clicked on her track and it showed me she had left from the Marghera yard. I lost her in the Adriatic (I think there are some areas not covered by AIS) and the next evening found hercruising again, back and forth, doing u-turns at 21 kts. She finally went into Trieste - Fincantieri has a yard at Monfalcone and another right in Trieste, I believe. So, she was out at least two days. EM

Do you think that Hal has already chosen and trained the staff for the Nieuw Amsterdam?

At the risk of getting in trouble with Copper I feel I can answer this one. I was on the Oosterdam a few weeks ago and one of the bartenders said he was going to the Nieuw Amsterdam before his contract was up on the "O" so I think the staff has been chosen and will train in July (?).

Do you think that Hal has already chosen and trained the staff for the Nieuw Amsterdam?
With just a little more than 6 weeks to the dedication, most have certainly been chosen already. It will be a mix of old and new employees. When we were on the Noordam at 6 months of age we saw many crew who were on our Westerdam cruise the year before. In the months before the Eurodam was launched the waitresses for the Tamarind trained in Pinnacle Grilles on various ships around the fleet. They were all new employees, but well trained before the ship was launched. The ones for the N.A. Tamarind are probably doing the same right now ... or training in the Eurodam's Tamarind.

If you go back a few posts, you'll see members who feel they possess the infinite wisdom of everything HAL, actually arguing with the OP of this thread, who happens to be employed by HAL. Those same members feel they have to start answering questions directed to the OP, based on their own "vast experience" and "inside knowledge":cool:

Hmmm, maybe this thread just needs a little cleaning up, as it seems some posters have attempted to answer questions that were clearly meant for DBA.

Archived