Poll: Music on Solstice

Germancruiser

Do you like the constan music on board Solstice  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the constan music on board Solstice

• Yes
    • No
    • Don´t care

Confession - I haven't actually sailed on Solstice, but I voted anyway. I would just hate to have constant music played on ANY ship. I like to have the choice to have peace and quiet if I want it.

Hello Solstice Cruisers,

this is a poll for those who DID NOT LIKE the constant music in all public rooms, on deck, all over the place.

Please vote- did you like the constant music?

Yes

No

Don´t care

Greetings

Michael

This is another of those "thought it was just me" but the constant music everywhere did bug me. Would only delineate that I thought the live music was GREAT - the string quartet, the brass band, steel drums, etc. It was just the recorded music everywhere all the time that really got to me after awhile.

I too have not sailed her yet.... on the May 4th first Med cruise. Part of the cruise experience for me is watching the ocean in peace and quiet. Gyess the only place I will be able to do that is on my balcony ! I voted NO BTW.

Q. How can this be a poll if you ask a "Yes or No" question but only invite responses from those who would vote NO? Not quite a poll!

We appreciated the mutiple live music choices throughout the ship & the fact that many of the performers switched places around the ship...much more variety that way.. This way if you like a place, you did not have to hear the same perfomer every night (one of our chief isues with ships that have the same performer in one spot for the whole cruise.)

The quality of the music should be improved. Need a reggae band, a good party band & classical group that can stay on a basic beat, & a guitar player that can convey the Jimmy Buffet feeling! Solstice is on the right track--just hre better talent.

Also beats Royal C which reatures loudspeaker rap music throughout the ship. during the day-- Now that's really awful!..

There are actually many nice spots without music where non-music lovers can find some peace if desired...

Confession - I haven't actually sailed on Solstice, but I voted anyway. I would just hate to have constant music played on ANY ship. I like to have the choice to have peace and quiet if I want it.

This post shows why all CC polls are useless......nuff said! :rolleyes:

I sailed Solstice and that is something I don't remember so I guess it did not bother me one way or the other.

Pat

Me too. Didn't even know they had constant music. Hmm maybe those voices in my head drowned it out ;)

Duane

Just returned from two weeks on the LOVELY Solstice. I found the piped in music at the pool to be way too loud and really, really abrasive. One afternoon they left this music playing while the pool band was performing.:( If a focus group approved of this music, they could not possibly be Celebrity passengers!

I sailed on the Solstice in January and did not like the constant piped-in music. In the early mornings you could find a quiet place without music, but once it hit about 11:00 a.m. you couldn't escape it (except on your stateroom veranda). It was very distracting. I commented about it on my questionnaire at the end of the cruise. Other than that, I loved the Solstice. The live music was - for the most part - very good.

I sailed on the Solstice in January and did not like the constant piped-in music. In the early mornings you could find a quiet place without music, but once it hit about 11:00 a.m. you couldn't escape it (except on your stateroom veranda). It was very distracting. I commented about it on my questionnaire at the end of the cruise. Other than that, I loved the Solstice. The live music was - for the most part - very good.

This piped in music must be a new thing (a la Royal C) We sailed Solstice in Jan & did not have it so i thought the poll was more about the live music.

Hope eveyone tells the hotel director & CD to shut it off....... We did leave one of the shows due to the music being too loud..that was the Xylo guy..

Doesn't anyone at Celebrity get it. Techo music blaring all the time does NOT fit the market segment that prefers Celebrity. They must have some twenty-something (sorry to that group but...) selecting the music who is also hard of hearing. Their market is the current baby boomers and then the soon to age gen X'ers. That tecno stuff belongs on RCCL or Carnivour not Celebrity. Open your eyes and look at who is on board.

This is an interesting thread. We are about to cruise on Summit and I dont think I want 'piped' elevator type music to intrude on the enjoyment of being on a ship.

We had a similar scenario in Hawaii over Christmas when we went for a very pleasant day sail on a catamaran. A few minutes into the trip the music kicked in. Not offensive music in itself andlow key (Sailing by Rod Stewart type stuff) but after a while, I asked if it could be turned off, partly because I wanted to hear the wind in the sails which is after all the whole point of sailing. I also wanted to record some video and didn't want the 'muzak' to intrude.

It was a really enjoyable outing and the crew were happy to temporarily oblige but did look a little surprised at my request.

It makes me wonder why people need constant music in their lives (ipods etc). What ever happened to the 'sounds of silence?' or at least the normal sounds of everyday life?

On a cruise, I would like to think that the passengers would want to know that they are actually on a ship ie the comforting 'thrum' of a diesel engine from time to time.

Otherwise it seems one might as well stay in a hotel on shore and listen to the muzak in the lobby ... :rolleyes:

This post shows why all CC polls are useless......nuff said! :rolleyes:

Wow!! Good job I posted then. Proved your point for you.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Doesn't really matter that I haven't sailed Solstice - I still have an opinion about constant music playing all over the ship - doesn't matter which ship it is. Helps me to decide not to sail on Solstice thanks!:D

Doesn't anyone at Celebrity get it. Techo music blaring all the time does NOT fit the market segment that prefers Celebrity. They must have some twenty-something (sorry to that group but...) selecting the music who is also hard of hearing. Their market is the current baby boomers and then the soon to age gen X'ers. That tecno stuff belongs on RCCL or Carnivour not Celebrity. Open your eyes and look at who is on board.

Grade=Fail.

Personally I didn't like the old folks music that seemed to be everywhere on the Solstice. Even in areas that were supposed to play techno seemed steaming with Lawrence Welk fests. Bleh...

Why does everything on Celebrity have to be so old school. Not everyone that likes something new should have to settle for RCCL.

They could skip the hard beat dance music and play some trance/downbeat or more etherial type music that might appeal to a wider audience plus allow people to think.

I have to say I didn't care one way or the other about the music. There were times that it was very nice chilling poolside in the morning as the walkers did their thing on the upper deck to the music there. The live music poolside during the day was fine, over cocktails in Sky and over dinner in MDR, Murano or Tuscan we were having happy conversations so I didn't notice music then, and more chatter in lounges after dinner or gazing off at the sea from the Lawn Club and didn't note any music there, either.

Just checked with hubby, a musician, who's response was, "must have been neutral, as I didn't take any notice one way or the other"

different strokes....

Hello all,

interessting to read all your comments. Just to make clear- I did NOT talk about the live music- I talked about the background music. The live - music was great, something for everyones taste I would say. And why the heck is that not a poll, sometimes there is no need for further bla bla! A simple yes or no- thats all what´s needed. I could have written- " do you like loud background music on board X- ships? " So it doesn´t matter if one sailed her or not!

Greetings

Michael

I was on the solstice 12/14 sailing and remember certain areas of the ship having background music playing at various times of the day.

Buffet - music continuous and varied with time of day ran the gamut from standards to top 40/pop/rock

Outdoor Pool - wide range, but thankfully no hip-hop or rap. Music was pleasant but never intrusive.

Indoor Pool - relaxing zen like music to which the water jets were choreographed

Martini bar - had mucic only in the evenings from around 5-530ish until close (around 1-2am on our sailing). The music was definitely more of a techno/nightclub vibe and I thought suited the martini bar fine, thought I can see where it would bother some cruisers. At times it could be a bit loud as well.

Other than those locations I do not remember hearing background music - if it was there it was subtle enough not to intrude on my holiday!

In regards to selection of musical styles I personally think Celebrity is trying to target Gen-X'ers and younger with this new class of ships and it shows in many areas - note the addition of a dedicated disco! Not everyone under 40 wants a tacky low-brow Carnival ship with beer-bong chasing co-eds and umpteen million rotations of "who let the dogs out"!!!!!!!:mad: (I have done 3 Carnival cruises in the past - not by my choosing, was in all 3 cases sailing with friends who put together groups on them - and will not ever do one again!)

There are MANY urban 20-30 somethings (like myself) who like sophisticated upscale restaurants and nightclubs as well as hip hotels. I think the marketing execs at RCL/CEL have taken notice of this and are building ships to appeal to the "next" generation of cruisers which is very, very smart! Get us hooked in our 20's/30's and you have a customer base to build on for 50+ years ...... Hopefully they will not go so far as to alienate the core clientele that made them as successful as they are. A difficult balancing act but I do see Celebrity trying their best to get it right.

P.S. - I forgot - they also had background music in Cellar Masters. This place was almost always empty on our sailing - I think mostly because it is so closed off and dark! As a result the staff would crank up the volume to try and get passers-by notice they were there and hopefully stop in - amove that drove potential visitors away as quick as it attracted them. A better tact would be to have live music in there - flamenco guitar perhaps, or even the acapllea group on occasion.

Truth is I go to the pool to read so i prefer quiet. tried RCI and prefer Solstice. but iti s nice to walk thru a ship and just hear quiet, I knew yuo meant canned music and i have always hated it.

Micheal

see you loved the Solstice so much you booked her again. I am on B2B on Equinix next year. i just wish the ship was warmer. i really got sick. nexy=t year going with drugs and warm clothing not cruise clothes.

We were recently on the Solstice and found the constant canned music everywhere annoying. The worst was the Martini Bar where it was really loud techno music. It was so loud we couldn't talk to each other (and we sometimes had over 12 people and were kind of noisy ourselves). We asked Florin to turn it down and he did so every night when we showed up. We felt like not going to the Martini Bar but since we are part of the Martini Mates, we went every night (can't be a Martini Mate and not go to the Martini Bar;)). Besides, don't martinis make you think of Sinatra or jazz?

Does Solstice think no one wants quiet and to actually carry on a conversation?

Archived