Extra Tips for anytime dining

Ethel5

Has anyone given an extra tip to servers in anytime dining? We are traveling with 2 children and that's usually a reason to tip above and beyond. :)

Yes, I have and I would again. If you receive superior service, it's always nice to tip so they know you were pleased. On a 10 day cruise, I tipped 4 nights. The other nights, service was o.k. and I felt my automatic tips were enough. Have a fabulous cruise.

I think the "recognition card" may be more valuable to them then a small daily cash tip (unless you are able to get the same servers for the anytime DR). Take a few of those cards to the DR mostly filled out, add the servers name, and quietly hand it as you leave the DR.

Has anyone given an extra tip to servers in anytime dining? We are traveling with 2 children and that's usually a reason to tip above and beyond. :)
Just like in Traditional dining, if the waitstaff has gone above and beyond, they deserve an additional tip. Have a great cruise!

Just like in Traditional dining, if the waitstaff has gone above and beyond, they deserve an additional tip. Have a great cruise!

As we are eating a different times each night with different wait staff, would you tip each night or wait until the end and then seek them out?

Prepaid tips means they are prepaid and I don't feel required to tip extra.

As we are eating a different times each night with different wait staff, would you tip each night or wait until the end and then seek them out?

If you have anytime dining you must prepay your tips so you have met your obligation.

On our most recent cruise on the Crown, we have out wait staff a tip on the last night as a thank you for their work for us during the week. They really did a good job, and work very hard.

Mike

mike we too recently departed from the crown. we ate in the same dining room each night and though we had different waiters (tho we requested the same a few times) the 2 head waiters, Caitano( from India) and Arthur treated us like royalty each night they saw us. By a wink of the eye we were quickly seated and each night the two made a special point to bring us "special appetizers" as we seated. You can bet not only did they recieve an envelope with extra tip from us, I also filled out recognition cards for them as I feel they went above and beyond. I am wondering if you recieved the same service from either of these two?

If you have anytime dining you must prepay your tips so you have met your obligation.

Everyone feels differently about tipping. We always leave on the auto tip and then tip extra for good service. This is the first time in anytime dining and I'm not quite sure how to go about the EXTRA tipping.

i always do anytime (and leave on the auto-tip) and have different wait staff each night. i bring along an envelope with something extra in it. i'm glad i have it if i need it, and if not it gets brought to dinner the next night just in case.

Everyone feels differently about tipping. We always leave on the auto tip and then tip extra for good service. This is the first time in anytime dining and I'm not quite sure how to go about the EXTRA tipping.

Hi Donna,

We almost always do the anytime dining option, and frequently do tip above the autotips. Just as you may have the same server frequently at breakfast or lunch in the dining room, you might have a server at dinner for a number of nights. We have frequently wound up with a standing table and time when we find a server we enjoy. So we tip on the last night.

Hope things are well with you - and have your sister in law join that roll call!!!!!

Ginger

I dont think the OP was referring to something being "required". I will regularly tip above and beyond the norm for exceptional service on land. Seems reasonable to do so onboard too, whether for anytime or traditional dining. Having said that, the service will need to be above par for me to tip above par.

you asked if anyone leaves extra NOT how to do it and I responded appropriately to the question.

Here's your original question, copied and pasted.............Has anyone given an extra tip to servers in anytime dining?

On a related note, how much would be considered an appropriate amount? They are already getting some tip from auto tip, so how much more do you usually give?

The choice of anytime rather than traditional dining has nothing to with Princess' auto tip program. The $10.50 pppd/$11.00pppd is applied regardless of your dining selection.

Mike:)

mike we too recently departed from the crown. we ate in the same dining room each night and though we had different waiters (tho we requested the same a few times) the 2 head waiters, Caitano( from India) and Arthur treated us like royalty each night they saw us. By a wink of the eye we were quickly seated and each night the two made a special point to bring us "special appetizers" as we seated. You can bet not only did they recieve an envelope with extra tip from us, I also filled out recognition cards for them as I feel they went above and beyond. I am wondering if you recieved the same service from either of these two?

Wow, Caitano made out on this cruise, we gave him a tip as well. He greeted us each night (and on the last night I took a picture of him with my wife), and talked to us for a few minutes, although we didn't get offered any "special appetizers". Next time I see him, I will get onto him about that. We also filled out cards for him and our wait staff, Felipe and Mateo. What a small world!

Mike

We stopped at the Pursers desk on the last night of the cruise before dinner and got envelopes from them. My wife wrote a personal note to each server thanking them for taking such good care of us, and we put that in the envelope with the money, and handed it to them when we got up to leave the last night. Hugs all around. It was a great time!

Mike

On a related note, how much would be considered an appropriate amount? They are already getting some tip from auto tip, so how much more do you usually give?

Great question!!!! How much would you tip on a meal by meal basis??

Actually the comment cards are titled: "You Made A Difference". They are available at the Purser's Desk. Any number of cards may be filled out. It can be handed out to the Employee (who gives it to his/her boss) or dropped in a box in front of the Purser's Desk.

What's a recognition card? Sounds like something that might help them get ahead.

I haven't been on Princess in several years, and haven't heard about them on other

cruise lines.

Mimi

Archived