Gratuities up $12.95 / 13.95 suites

LMaxwell

Thanks for the info and I agree with your conclusion. Eating three meals a day, or two on port days, we would leave more than $13.00 a day for restaurants only.

Some of the changes in the last couple of years have bothered me a bit, but not this.

My thoughts exactly

It isn't a big increase, but gratuities are already a little pricey as it is. Carnival should be paying their crew more instead of relying on the guest to pay their salary. Carnival has already increases their fares and has made cuts onboard. I am also still yet to receive a notification from Carnival about this change. Not liking this new CEO so much.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

There gratuity guidelines are increasing from $12.00 to $12.95 pp/day for std staterooms and $13.95 pp/day for suites starting 9/1/2016. Also suites will receive priority tender service, complimentary in-suite bottled water and one complimentary bag of laundry per voyage, enhanced turn down service.

Guests who have pre-paid their gratuities as of May 9 will not be affected by the increase.

The staff work hard, glad to pay it.

It isn't a big increase, but gratuities are already a little pricey as it is. Carnival should be paying their crew more instead of relying on the guest to pay their salary. Carnival has already increases their fares and has made cuts onboard. I am also still yet to receive a notification from Carnival about this change. Not liking this new CEO so much.

its on par on what cruise lines are charging. Right now NCL is the most expensive at around $13.50 per person

This is an extra $5 per day for us, but will just mean we don't tip extra at the end unless the service is truly outstanding. I don't mind, as long as we receive the service from stewards and wait staff that made us love cruising.

I am curious what "enhanced turndown service" guests in suites will be receiving. :confused:

12.95 standard rooms

13.95 suites.

Fine with me as long as they keep same levels of service and don't go to once a day.

Agreed

On a side note, I'm a tad underwhelmed if what's been announced so far is the full set of new suite perks. I was hoping for double cruise points too, but that's just wishful thinking :)

Edited by undercat

What perks?......early boarding and a 1-liter bottle of water? I'll never book a suite on Carnival again.

Priority tender

Laundry

Enhanced turn down ( curious what that is)

You are basically getting FTTF. Don't know what yoy want. I won't book a suite just because the cost isn't worth it, I'm getting ti the point where a balcony isn't worth the cost since I'm never in my room.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm not surprised; I saw this coming for months. Their peer group had been raising their gratuity rates and this now brings Carnival in line with them.

I personally don't have a problem with it. It's nice that they allow us who have prebooked 10 days or so to lock in the old rate. I'm not sure if I will do it or not. I understand that the grats make up most of the salary for most of our hard-working crews.

You do realize that one way or the other the guest pays the salary, don't you? Whether by the model of a daily service charge or an increase in fare, there customer pays.

So the DSC went up. Big whoop. So the rumor is once-a-day cabin service. Yawn. I'll continue cruising knowing the cost and amenity until it doesn't work for me. Everyone else can raise their pitchforks and riot. I'll sit in a lounger on deck and nap in the sun instead.

Actually they were significantly lower than the competition before the increase and even still a little under. What fare increases are you talking about, I have seen stability not increases for the most part.

12.95 standard rooms

13.95 suites.

Fine with me as long as they keep same levels of service and don't go to once a day.

Leave it to Carnival. This is disturbing.

At a time where they are trying to fool its customer into once a day service ( which I hope has lost steam since it was exposed) to try and raise tips.

And of course wondering if the increase encompasses only those individuals assigned to pamper us. Last increase, they got screwed. The biggest portion of that last increase went to Carnival payroll, as opposed to the dining staff and room stewards.

Where do you think salaries come from? I guess if they up the fare by $90 p.p. per week you wouldn't see the gratuity charges and feel better?

Where do you think salaries come from? I guess if they up the fare by $90 p.p. per week you wouldn't see the gratuity charges and feel better?

That's just it. They don't want to for a multitude of reasons, started with your advertised fare. In fact, I bet they'd love to tell you you can cruise free, and not tell you your sail and sign account would be $1200.

The slippery slope started when they took a $1 from you daily per person. Said it was for <this>. Then it went to $2 and then it was for <that>. No expect it next to be $5, and then keep going up. Odd, when all they could have done was add it to the fare. But when you have people, their customer, sending my defending that practice, that will keep inching along.

Kinda like a state like NJ, that pumps gas. Add a nickel per gallon to pay those attendants, and then having the customer saying sure, they deserve it, even though they already get a salary. <---hypothetical scenario for illustration.

Edited by MCFTJCH2V

Leave it to Carnival. This is disturbing.

At a time where they are trying to fool its customer into once a day service ( which I hope has lost steam since it was exposed) to try and raise tips.

And of course wondering if the increase encompasses only those individuals assigned to pamper us. Last increase, they got screwed. The biggest portion of that last increase went to Carnival payroll, as opposed to the dining staff and room stewards.

I have no idea what any of this means. Who got screwed? any facts to back up this? Lastly, why are you disturbed? Do you sail Carnival?