Why bother with next cruise certificates?

I have booked a next cruise certificate this past November (2010) and just booked my cruise - and they tell me that I can only get $25, because its a 5 night. Is this correct?

I assumed I would be issued the $100 OBC, as was told when I booked the cruise. :mad:

I have booked a next cruise certificate this past November (2010) and just booked my cruise - and they tell me that I can only get $25, because its a 5 night. Is this correct?

I assumed I would be issued the $100 OBC, as was told when I booked the cruise. :mad:

Then save it and use it for a longer cruise.

You've already answered your own question.."Why Bother".. You know what they say about "assuming"..They make it very clear on the certificate what you will get when you purchase these onboard...Go back and "look" at yours..Nonetheless..enjoy the cruise you have just booked...:)

You must have mis-understood. It's pretty clear that the OBC varies by length of the cruise.

It's still a good deal. Remember the OBC is per cabin up to 3 cabins, so $25 for one cabin is really $75 total, plus the reduced deposit.

i guess, but from my certificate it is supposed to be $50, but they are telling me b/c its changed its only $25. Im going to call C and A, because I think I should get $50 bc it was $50 for less than 7 when I "bought" it.

You must have mis-understood. It's pretty clear that the OBC varies by length of the cruise.

It's still a good deal. Remember the OBC is per cabin up to 3 cabins, so $25 for one cabin is really $75 total, plus the reduced deposit.

Where did the OP state that they were booking 3 cabins? Maybe the $25.00 is really $25.00 and the reduced deposit which ends up being payed sooner or later either as deposit or total due.

Where did the OP state that they were booking 3 cabins? Maybe the $25.00 is really $25.00 and the reduced deposit which ends up being payed sooner or later either as deposit or total due.

When you purchase a NCC you are allowed to have a total of three cabins booked if booking all of them within 30 days of the first reservation. The poster was just bringing to light what the potential value of the certificate is worth.

I agree that the Next Cruise certificates are a dubious value.

What you're essentially doing is guaranteeing Royal Caribbean that they'll be your first-stop when you book your next cruise -- at worst, you'll compare their price against the competition; at best, you'll not even bother to check the other guy's prices.

But for yourself, although you're getting OBC, you're not able to switch to another ship or another week without losing that benefit.

And you can get the same benefit by booking during a WOW sale.

At the same time, you have little risk when buying a Next Cruise certificate. If you cancel your cruise, you get back your initial investment, so you really don't lose anything -- except the small amount of interest you would've earned on that money, if it'd been invested.

you're not able to switch to another ship or another week without losing that benefit.

Im not sure I understand what you are saying? Once you turn a NextCruise certificate into a specifice cruise, you are saying you cant switch that cruise or week without losing the OBC?

that is not what i was told at all :( also I was told that if you cancel a NextCruise, you do in fact lose the deposit?

can you please clarify?

When you purchase a NCC you are allowed to have a total of three cabins booked if booking all of them within 30 days of the first reservation. The poster was just bringing to light what the potential value of the certificate is worth.

I have to book three cruises within a 30 day period? That sounds like a great deal.... for RCI.

I have to book three cruises within a 30 day period? That sounds like a great deal.... for RCI.

You don't have to.

The deal is that when you come home and decide on the cruise you want, you can book 2 other cabins (within 30 days) for family or friends and they'll get the same OBC that you do.

I agree that the Next Cruise certificates are a dubious value.

What you're essentially doing is guaranteeing Royal Caribbean that they'll be your first-stop when you book your next cruise -- at worst, you'll compare their price against the competition; at best, you'll not even bother to check the other guy's prices.

But for yourself, although you're getting OBC, you're not able to switch to another ship or another week without losing that benefit.

And you can get the same benefit by booking during a WOW sale.

At the same time, you have little risk when buying a Next Cruise certificate. If you cancel your cruise, you get back your initial investment, so you really don't lose anything -- except the small amount of interest you would've earned on that money, if it'd been invested.

On a NCC once converted to a booking you can make any changes you want ship/dates etc as long as you "NEVER" use the word "CANCEL" and always keep the "SAME" booking # you won't lose your OBC..Once you convert your NCC into a booking you can cancel that at any time up until full payment and you will get your deposit back at that time....

This is all new to me, would someone explain if the certificates the OP is referring to are the ones that I now see under my C&A special offers, since I just joined (located in "my cruises")?

I currently see ones for about $125 for a 7 night sailing on Allure for example (with an expiry date).

TIA!

On a NCC once converted to a booking you can make any changes you want ship/dates etc as long as you "NEVER" use the word "CANCEL" and always keep the "SAME" booking # you won't lose your OBC..Once you convert your NCC into a booking you can cancel that at any time up until full payment and you will get your deposit back at that time....

you are right, we had booked a11night cruise in feb using our next cruise and then we changed to jan on a 11nighter and still get to keep our 150.00obc

Archived