Taking passports on tours

Jaddy

In the past we have always left our passports in the safe in our Celebrity stateroom when we are off the ship and on a tour. But I have been reading about the great difficulties passengers experience if they are on a tour and miss the ship. It appears that the greatest difficulty is getting a replacement passport so that they can fly to the next port and join the ship.

Also, if you have an accident and have to arrange a medivac flight after the ship has left, it's going to be difficult to get into the U.S. or wherever without a passport. At a minimum, it will certainly delay things just when you want to bug out of timbucktu and get somewhere with good medical care.

So do you experienced Celebrity people take your passports with you when you go on tour? It seems like it would be easy to have them stolen when you are at the beach or whatever.

I understand that the risk is reduced somewhat if you are on a ship sponsored tour. But we, and many of you no doubt, often set up our own tour.

So take or not?

I always take a color copy.

Please remember, depending on where you travel Celebrity may take your passport while on board.

I always, always travel with multiple copies.

Edited by ecslady

We never take our passports off the ship, we believe that the opportunity to lose them or have them stolen is much greater when they are in our possession. What we do is take the number of the ships agent, which is in the daily, with us every time we go ashore. Should there be some kind of an issue, the port agent will retrieve your passports from the safe in your state room and hold them for you until you can collect them. We believe this weekend is the safest method

We never take the passports on a tour. We do often take a copy of our passport with us depending on where we are. If there were to be an accident or we knew we would miss the ship I would call the Port Agent & ask them get the passports from the ship so we could retrieve them.

In the case of a accident/medical emergency, if the ship knows you won't be returning they pack your belongings and leave them with the Port Agent.

In the past we have always left our passports in the safe in our Celebrity stateroom when we are off the ship and on a tour. But I have been reading about the great difficulties passengers experience if they are on a tour and miss the ship. It appears that the greatest difficulty is getting a replacement passport so that they can fly to the next port and join the ship.

Also, if you have an accident and have to arrange a medivac flight after the ship has left, it's going to be difficult to get into the U.S. or wherever without a passport. At a minimum, it will certainly delay things just when you want to bug out of timbucktu and get somewhere with good medical care.

So do you experienced Celebrity people take your passports with you when you go on tour? It seems like it would be easy to have them stolen when you are at the beach or whatever.

I understand that the risk is reduced somewhat if you are on a ship sponsored tour. But we, and many of you no doubt, often set up our own tour.

So take or not?

Absolutely positively NO. If you miss the ship for any reason an officer will go to your room and pack your things. Your passport (which belongs in the safe and not hidden) will be delivered to you in person if you are at the pier or in a medical facility if that is the case. A color copy is great for getting a replacement passport, but not something you can travel with overseas.

The risk of your passport being lost or taken from you is much greater than leaving it on board.

When we renewed recently, we got a regular passport and a passport card. That way, we can easily carry the passport card with us when we're off the ship.

The port agent suggestion is a good idea. I would think that in the event you are cutting it close on getting back to the ship, and don't call the port agent early enough, it would be darn near impossible for him to get to the ship and load things up in time to leave things at the port.

We have the passport card. Per your suggestion, it does seem to be a good idea to just take that on tours. I just checked, tho, and found out that it WILL get you back into the U.S. if you are traveling from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or a Caribbean island. The bad new is that it most likely WILL NOT get you into another Caribbean island to catch up with the ship.

I think that we will take the cards, plus the port agent number, with us on tour and know that we can at least get back in the U.S. from the Caribbean when we are on the Eclipse in a couple of weeks. We will still have the original problem confronting us when we are in India a year from now, tho.

Most of our recent cruises have been to Med/Adriadic areas, so here's my two cents:

If you're traveling from Schengen to Schengen, it's not necessary to have a passport to catch up with the ship.... & if you're traveling from Schengen to non Schengen, the ship will keep your passport until you've cleared the non Schengen country, so, no, we don't keep them with us.

Only exception for us so far was in Venice, where we were instructed to carry our passports with us to reenter the port area... & yes, the authorities were checking them.

In Caribbean, we didn't bother getting off the ship much, & when we did, we didn't bother with passports, we took the local buses & felt pretty confident about getting back in time. I leave the passports in the safe were they belong unless instructed to bring them by the ship.

Like most others, we take colour copies of passports ashore and leave originals in the safe. Also having the name of the cruise agent ashore is important.

These days as most people have smart phones it would probably be useful for cruise companies to provide a list of all of their agents in ports of call as part of the cruise docs before we even start the cruise.

When we renewed recently, we got a regular passport and a passport card. That way, we can easily carry the passport card with us when we're off the ship.

We generally carry copies of passports, leave originals in the safe (where it would be easy for security & officers to find in an emergency), and I do carry an enhanced license (equivalent ID to passport card). In the Caribbean I'd feel safer not carrying my passport than I would carrying my passport.

As was recommended, keeping a scan/photo of it in your phone and also in your webmail inbox are also good practices on top of carrying the paper photocopy.

If you're going to be on the beach or a boat, it also doesn't hurt to seal the copies into a sandwich baggie to make sure they're more protected (Doesn't hurt to make sure the bag is airtight first, I got a wet wallet for not checking the integrity of the bag before wading into the ocean recently).

Where does everyone get the idea that if you miss the ship they will send an Officer to pack up your things? Never heard of this. I have seen many people miss the ship at lots of ports in the Carib, and never saw pax luggage being offloaded. I think this is one of those feel good notions people invent. If you miss the ship through your own fault, I'd guess you're in a world of hurt. You had better have sufficient cash and a credit card and at least a color copy of your passport to catch up with the ship. Once I saw a couple miss the ship somewhere in the Carib and the next day was a sea day, then docking at Lauderdale. The couple showed up at the terminal trying to locate all their personal belongings.

Absolutely positively NO. If you miss the ship for any reason an officer will go to your room and pack your things. Your passport (which belongs in the safe and not hidden) will be delivered to you in person if you are at the pier or in a medical facility if that is the case. A color copy is great for getting a replacement passport, but not something you can travel with overseas.

The risk of your passport being lost or taken from you is much greater than leaving it on board.

The answer that is given consistently by the senior officers is that if you miss the ship, an officer will retrieve your passport from the safe in your stateroom (if it is there) and it will be left with the port agent if the ship leaves port without you.

We have also been told that they will not search the cabin for your passport if it is not in the safe, and they will not pack up and offload your belongings unless you are being evacuated for a medical emergency.

That answer is usually qualified with words to the effect that they may possibly pack your belongings if they have time, but it is not something you can expect.

For any port where we needed to take our passports off the ship with us, we were always informed in advance.

A photocopy of the passport is also the ideal form of ID to take off the ship with you at ports where you need to show ID for re-entry to the port area.

If the photocopy should be stolen or lost, it is so much quicker and easier to replace it than a stolen or lost driver's license or passport would be.

If you look at stories/vids of dock runners, how can they know they left w/o you until the last minute? And if last minute, do officers really run to your room, open your safe, run down to the dock and find some official, right as the ropes are being lifted and the plank is being brought in? I wonder! And if they handed over the passport too far in advance and you made it back, wouldn't you be peeved? I don't know, but I'm skeptical.

If you look at stories/vids of dock runners, how can they know they left w/o you until the last minute? And if last minute, do officers really run to your room, open your safe, run down to the dock and find some official, right as the ropes are being lifted and the plank is being brought in? I wonder! And if they handed over the passport too far in advance and you made it back, wouldn't you be peeved? I don't know, but I'm skeptical.
This topic is nothing new. It has been discussed for ages, and is a popular subject at Q&A sessions with senior officers on cruise ships.

Some last minute returnees have been handed their passports when they "dinged" in at the entrance as they boarded the ship right before it departed.

As for the passports that are retrieved from stateroom safes after the ship leaves port, they are given to the pilot who signs off for them, puts them in his pouch, and takes them off on the pilot boat along with the other ship documents. Then he turns them over to the port agent when he gets back to port.

Since you are skeptical, there is no need to follow the advice of anyone who posts here.

You can just ask the officers on your next cruise what procedure they follow, and then do as they advise -- or not. ;)

Ideal "Plan A" for missing the ship:

Cruise line requires all passengers on all itineraries to surrender passport to purser at embarkation.

If you miss the ship, purser has pilot deliver passport to port agent.

You contact port agent who turns over passport and provides reasonable assistance in making arrangements to join ship at future port.

Where does everyone get the idea that if you miss the ship they will send an Officer to pack up your things? Never heard of this. I have seen many people miss the ship at lots of ports in the Carib, and never saw pax luggage being offloaded. I think this is one of those feel good notions people invent. If you miss the ship through your own fault, I'd guess you're in a world of hurt. You had better have sufficient cash and a credit card and at least a color copy of your passport to catch up with the ship. Once I saw a couple miss the ship somewhere in the Carib and the next day was a sea day, then docking at Lauderdale. The couple showed up at the terminal trying to locate all their personal belongings.

The answer that is given consistently by the senior officers is that if you miss the ship, an officer will retrieve your passport from the safe in your stateroom (if it is there) and it will be left with the port agent if the ship leaves port without you.

We have also been told that they will not search the cabin for your passport if it is not in the safe, and they will not pack up and offload your belongings unless you are being evacuated for a medical emergency.

That answer is usually qualified with words to the effect that they may possibly pack your belongings if they have time, but it is not something you can expect.

For any port where we needed to take our passports off the ship with us, we were always informed in advance.

A photocopy of the passport is also the ideal form of ID to take off the ship with you at ports where you need to show ID for re-entry to the port area.

If the photocopy should be stolen or lost, it is so much quicker and easier to replace it than a stolen or lost driver's license or passport would be.

And because I like to hang over the rail and watch for latecomers, I have SEEN passports being handed over to the port agent, several times. I did also see someone's luggage taken off when they had a medical emergency, but for those who miss the ship due to just being late, it's only the passport that gets handed over.

So we leave ours in the safe unless required to carry them with us.

Edited by lisiamc

NO do not take PP unless you are on a PRIVATE TOUR.

I use the PP CARD when getting off the ship and a copy of PP stored on Smarts phone, and paper copies and one that has been scanned into MY Google drive, which is accessible any where with a internet connection. Scanned Copies will at least help get PP back and at a US Consulate if necessary.

When traveling NOT ON A CRUISE ship I always supply my destination with this government site. Smart travelers enrollment program.

https://step.state.gov/step/

We never take our passports off the ship, we believe that the opportunity to lose them or have them stolen is much greater when they are in our possession. What we do is take the number of the ships agent, which is in the daily, with us every time we go ashore. Should there be some kind of an issue, the port agent will retrieve your passports from the safe in your state room and hold them for you until you can collect them. We believe this weekend is the safest method

Cathy,

I agree completely. The risk of pickpockets is there, especially in Southern Europe. When we have been advised to take our passports with us, I always wear my money belt. Unfortunately, it is a bit awkward to wear with the passport inside as well as credit card and some cash.

At the risk of being shot down in flames, I have to say I take the opposite view.

I will not be parted from my passport and good credit cards.....unless demanded by authority.

That way I can get out of any mess life may throw at us ( providing one of us is alive of course).

The thought of having any issue which added a layer of stress... contact port agent etc, I can well do without.

Not saying others are wrong, this is my personal strategy which has served us well on many adventures ....

I leave the copy in the safe.....

Edited by hecc5
typo

At the risk of being shot down in flames, I have to say I take the opposite view.

I will not be parted from my passport and good credit cards.....unless demanded by authority.

That way I can get out of any mess life may throw at us ( providing one of us is alive of course).

The thought of having any issue which added a layer of stress... contact port agent etc, I can well do without.

Not saying others are wrong, this is my personal strategy which has served us well on many adventures ....

I leave the copy in the safe.....

I understand your view and it is not without some merit. However, consider the loss of the passport and how expensive and problematic obtaining a replacement would be.

Also, consider what activity you are engaged in a port. We normally take private tours or occasionally a ship's excursion or HoHo bus. What is the likelihood of needing the actual passport.

True a medical emergency can raise an issue, but contacting the ship, the ship could retrieve your passports from your safe and deliver them to a hospital.

I lived in Saudi Arabia for five years and Germany for four. I never carried my passport, unless I was leaving the country (or when in Saudi traveling within the country on business).

When we get our passports, we go to Kinkos and make a copy of our Main Page and Signature page. We reduce it in size until, when folded, it is wallet size. We then laminate it and carry it in our wallets when ever we are traveling out of the country. We do not take our passports off the ship unless instructed to do so. I think the only place was in Russia.

When we get our passports, we go to Kinkos and make a copy of our Main Page and Signature page. We reduce it in size until, when folded, it is wallet size. We then laminate it and carry it in our wallets when ever we are traveling out of the country. We do not take our passports off the ship, or out of the hotel, unless instructed to do so. I think the only place was in Russia.

We also have the passport cards, but you cannot fly with them. They are only good for driving into Mexico and Canada, which we do since we live in Michigan.

We have used our Kinkos copy as our picture ID to re-board the ship, and several officials have remarked that it is a good idea. This is what we do.

We also take one credit card and our insurance card. Any important info for the trip is in our phones, or readily accesible through our e-mail.

Having just dealt with a similar situation due to a medical emergency, I can tell you that the port agent is much more involved than one might presume. When DH had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance, in Greece, I was given about 15 minutes to pack up our cabin before we left the ship. The port agent collected our bags, including the contents of one drawer that I had missed in my haste, came to the hospital to pick me up, made a reservation for me at a hotel, drove me there and waited until I checked in and deposited the luggage, and then drove me to the hospital. He came inside with me and made sure that I was taken care of before leaving. He also gave me his card and I had to contact him a couple of times afterward to get some details taken care of. He was a huge help! So don't discredit the function of the port agent and how much help they would be to you if needed.