Which beach on St.Thomas????

julescruisin

We are going to St. Thomas on the Splendor and were wondering what beach we should go to? We are a party of 8, 4 adults and 4 daughters who love the ocean and relaxing on the beach!!! We are in port that day from 7am to 3pm~it is odd hours but we could get in at least 5 good beach hours!!!! Thanks in advance for your advice!! Happy Cruising!!1:p

Do you want just a beach, or amenities with it? There are over a dozen beaches that cruisers frequent, I suggest some research on the following: Magens Bay, Coki Beach, Sapphire Beach, Secret Harbor, Bolongo Bay, Lindburgh Beach, Morningside Marriott, there's even a "Secrets Sand" Beach.

If you google these, you can define the differences and see what matches your tastes.

We are going to St. Thomas on the Splendor and were wondering what beach we should go to? We are a party of 8, 4 adults and 4 daughters who love the ocean and relaxing on the beach!!! We are in port that day from 7am to 3pm~it is odd hours but we could get in at least 5 good beach hours!!!! Thanks in advance for your advice!! Happy Cruising!!1:p

We were just in St Thomas last week and our favorite beach is still Magan's Bay. So beautiful with soft sand and calm waters.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!!

We enjoyed Secret Harbor. Good food, nice beach. No cost if you don't use their loungers. You could do a bit of snorkeling off the beach (we saw a turtle). Crystal clear water.

We went because that day we wanted to go to Sapphire but the cab driver told us it was too windy and took us to this place instead. We were annoyed thinking he was getting a kick back, but just went with it. Later in the day, people showed up, saying they were coming over because Sapphire was no good, so it seemed he did take care of us.

So possibly- ask your driver what they recommend that day based on conditions.

We have been to Megans Bay and its everything they say it is. Another option in to take the ferry to St. John and go to Trunk Bay. The beach is beautiful, clear water, snorkling, and consessions.

We went to Maagens in April. We grabbed a cab as soon as we got off the ship. We were there before anyone was there to collect admittance fee. It was a couple hours before the chair rental people came. We spent an hour in a kayak and I highly recommend it. Went from one end to the other and back. I think it was $20 hour for one person kayak. It's a great place to spend the day.

I loved Coki Beach in St. Thomas. I'm super picky. Calm waters, nice beach, good food. I didn't feel overly crowded. This is the place to go if you have kids. Bring some dog biscuits to feed the fish or they have them for sale for little cost. They do have outdoor showers to rinse off. I hate not at least being able to wash my feet off after a day at the beach.

P8270560.jpg.96305f4eccb5309f61bcdaae55e11aa3.jpg

my vote if for Coki beach, but it really depends on what you want to do.

I guess your post will be moved shortly...you will get a lot of info. if you check the Port of Calls - St.Thomas section of this site.

Have a great cruise

Megan's Bay has been voted one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Just close your eyes in the taxi on the way because the roads are all curves and inclines and everyone drives like they are not. But that is St. Thomas. Enjoy!

The most misspelled destination on St. Thomas: MAGENS BAY. It's not a girl's name and it's not a possessive- LOL. :D

PLEASE do not bring dog biscuits to feed the fish! There are many articles like this one: http://www.reeftraveler.com/2012/02/why-cant-i-feed-the-fish.html to explain the reasons.

Lindqvist, aka Smith Bay, is marketed by cruise excursions as Secret Beach, but few locals will know it by that name.

Do you want just a beach, or amenities with it? There are over a dozen beaches that cruisers frequent, I suggest some research on the following: Magens Bay, Coki Beach, Sapphire Beach, Secret Harbor, Bolongo Bay, Lindburgh Beach, Morningside Marriott, there's even a "Secrets Sand" Beach.

If you google these, you can define the differences and see what matches your tastes.

Thank you so much~I have time to research before making a decision!! I have never even heard of some of these beaches! LOl Happy Cruising!!! :D

We were just in St Thomas last week and our favorite beach is still Magan's Bay. So beautiful with soft sand and calm waters.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!!

Thank you so much, alot of cruisers love Magen's Bay!!! Hope you enjoyed your vacation and Happy Cruising!!! :D

We hate crowds so we have been to Sapphire and Coki. Both nearly empty when we were there and absolutely breathtaking. Not much in the way of amenities though.

Thank you so much, will do some research on Coki and Sapphire and make a decision!! Happy Cruising!!! :D

One of the nicest beaches that also has abundant natural shade along the shore is Sapphire Beach and no independent vendors bothering you. See the webcam below as well as a drone video of the beach and resort.

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Coki is also gorgeous but a very small bay and so it gets quite crowded and noisy there like Magens. Actually there are several vendors there trying to get your business.

Magens is a nice beach but just lacks the character, water colors, and island views offered by Sapphire.

If you want just a beach (no snorkeling) and more of a hotel experience then the Best Western at Lindbergh Bay (aha Emerald Beach) would be a great choice. nice beach and the restrooms and dining facilities are much nicer. If you want a beach with no amenities but arguably THE nicest beach that's Lindqvist Beach (Smith Bay Park where the cruise ship Secret Sands excursion goes).

But Sapphire is our favorite beach for just staring at the sapphire-colored water and islands while enjoying an excellent mahi mahi sandwich from the beach grill (Banana Cabana) and a cocktail. For something different we'll drive to Lindbergh Bay and relax at the BW or Island Beachcomber which is more casual than the BW. The crowds will be at Magens and Coki, most other beaches are less busy.

Enjoy!

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is Magens Bay clothing optional?

No beach on St. Thomas is clothing optional.

I concur with Blue Water & recommend Sapphire. When I lived in St Thomas, it was our favorite beach. Lots of natural shade, great views & the best Pina Coladas on the Island.

If you aren't going to St. John, this would be my choice.

I concur with Blue Water & recommend Sapphire. When I lived in St Thomas, it was our favorite beach. Lots of natural shade, great views & the best Pina Coladas on the Island.

One beach was when I was there. This man in his late 70's and very overweight was strutting up and down trying to get people to take his picture. Gross!

From VI Now. This was certainly true when I lived there. Skimpy clothing & bathing suits are frowned upon down town also

Beach Information and Tips

All beaches on St. Thomas are open to the public. Beyond the tree line however is often private property and should be respected as such.

There are no clothing optional beaches on St. Thomas; public nudity is illegal.

Removing shells from beaches on St. Thomas is illegal.

Don’t feed marine life or sea birds. Food not naturally in their diet, like various human foods, can create health problems for these animals.

Protect yourself from the sun. Wear sun block, a hat and sunglasses.

Sun, rum and fun can spell dehydration; drink plenty of water.

Not saying there are not some hidden away beaches or private clothing optional spots. One of the spots when I lived there was between Magens & Hull Bay, but the fact is the man you saw could & should have been arrested,

One beach was when I was there. This man in his late 70's and very overweight was strutting up and down trying to get people to take his picture. Gross!

Apology to you. I looked it up and it was at Orient Beach in St Martin. Sorry!