Raising gratuities again!

HoopTroop

Google is your friend if you want answers like that.

My uncle worked on ships for Carnival from 1976 through 1981 and I called him and he laughed when I asked about $27 a day. He said the cruises were only about $400 a week. I'd love to see that too. If you have it could you share with the test of us that are curious to see.

I cannot comment on how it will work with this latest increase, but as far as the increase from $12 to $12.95/$14.95 per day, it is laid out pretty clearly in the documents that you print out with your ticket. If you booked prior to March 1, you can pay $12 per person per day any time prior to boarding the ship. We booked at the beginning of February and were charged the $12 rate when we pre-paid in mid-May. Here is a screen shot of the e-docs:

ImageUploadedByForums1437091915.826628.jpg.627c2730ea504759e0a669e8155564c4.jpg

On another note, I have never been one to complain about the DSC regardless of how much it is. My only comments on this topic tend to indicate my personal opinion that the crew busts their butts and they deserve every penny they make. However, this incessant stream of changes in charges, policies, and services, followed by even more retractions and revisions simply does not inspire much confidence in the company or what will happen in the future once they have our bookings and money. I really do enjoy sailing on NCL, but I can't feel any brand loyalty to them going forward. Future cruises will really be all about the comparison shopping. NCL's bottom line is not my concern; my bottom line is.

Edit: I don't think you can see that screen shot clearly enough. If you look at your own e-docs under the "Things to Know" section, it clearly says "All prepaid service charges on bookings made prior to March 1 will be protected at the $12 per person, per day." There is no mention of this needing to be before the final payment date.

Edited by Dorhead1230

Great Screen Name.

Your uncle worked in the "cheap seats"

I worked for Royal Viking - a subsidiary of NCL.

My parents sailed them at least once. They have quite a collection of coffee mugs from various ships. I wish I had been able to try some of the smaller lines before they disappeared or got swallow up.

My uncle says he got paid to drink and have "relations" all over the Caribbean for 5 years. He was 20 when he started. I can only imagine.

Great Screen Name.

Your uncle worked in the "cheap seats"

I worked for Royal Viking - a subsidiary of NCL.

I found this from 1982. Royal Viking Star tips

$2.50 waiter

$2.50 room steward

Hard to imagine the tips dropped $22 a day in less than a decade.

https://books.google.com/books?id=NDADAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=royal+viking+line+cruise+fare&source=bl&ots=L_bHozz_ZC&sig=zbR4SgU55jfOhclfMcJXBwTn_tU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CC4Q6AEwBmoVChMI88SBsfPgxgIVE-2ACh11ZQU_#v=onepage&q=royal%20viking%20line%20cruise%20fare&f=false

NCL has been almost our only line. We're sailing HAL next month because I couldn't get Canada/New England, during the summer, on NCL. I'm worried about how we're going to like it. However, if we do, I'm going to take the difference in DSC, and buy DH a nice suit to wear to all those future HAL dinners. :cool:

As others have said, it's not the increase and other changes so much as the haphazard way they implement. I have people in high up offices pulling the rug out of from under me every day at work and the name of change, progress, whatever. I'd like to avoid it on vacation, is all...

Some mod deleted my innocuous message. Not sure why. I'll try again.

You should not prepay to avoid these increases.

That's what NCL wants you to do, and they get an interest free loan.

Just adjust it down onboard. There are plenty of times when there's no line.

I booked when it was $12. That's what was quoted to me, and that's what I'm paying. I refuse to give them a free loan to lock in the rate I was supposed to have in the first place.

As others have said, it's not the increase and other changes so much as the haphazard way they implement.

Well said!

I created a thread stating something similar, but it got deleted :(

Edited by fstuff1

I logged into MyNCL account; however, if you booked through a travel agent, I've been told you can't see your account.

Absolutely not true. I booked through a TA and I can see my account and could prepay the DSC if I wished. But, no need since we have free gratuities from the Feb promo.

Edited by DebJ14

I didn't mind the increase in March but another increase four months later is ridiculous. It may be a small amount but since we are four people it adds up. We just sailed the Gem and I gave our steward an additional tip but now I may have to decrease the amount I tip. I feel bad doing that because I believe NCL is keeping the increased money. DelRio is sure keeping his word about getting more money out of his passengers. Time for him to leave.

Maybe this is why my pre-pay gratuities amount hasn't shown on MyNCL in a number of weeks. We have free DSC from April promo for first 2 guest but need to pay for our son. Guess I will need to make sure it is correct before final payment and pre-pay.

I have a cruise booked for October 2015 and the following is taken directly from my confirmation. How can a confirmation be changed? I thought a confirmation was just that...confirming information that I agreed to when I booked. I will be going to Guest Services to have them reduced, solely based on principle. I also have one booked for January and it clearly indicates the gratuities are $12.95 per day. I will also be going to Guest Services in January. If I decide to continue to cruise NCL in the future (I'm having some serious doubts), I then will agree to what is on my confirmation at that time. This is definitely not the NCL I've know since beginning to cruise with them in 2004!

Service Charges:

Norwegian Cruise Line now offers you the ability to pre-pay your Onboard Service Charges of $12 per person per day for guests 3 years and older. Please

contact your travel professional to add to your reservation. See our brochure or http://www.ncl.com for details.

I feel bad doing that because I believe NCL is keeping the increased money.

no.

I was told by the Hotel Director that ALL tips go towards the crew.

a vast majority of it go directly into their pockets. the amount varies by person depending on their performance reviews.

the remaining portion is set aside for team moral and team building events.

ie: parties

that I disagree with.

team moral/building should come out of corporate coffers!

Edited by fstuff1

no.

I was told by the Hotel Director that ALL tips go towards the crew.

a vast majority of it go directly into their pockets. the amount varies by person depending on their performance reviews.

a small portion is set aside for team moral and team building events.

ie: parties

that I disagree with.

team moral/building should come out of corporate coffers!

Vast majority does not mean ALL. ALL means 100%. NCL are very open that not 100% goes to crew.

Vast majority does not mean ALL. ALL means 100%. NCL are very open that not 100% goes to crew.

no, I do mean all goes to the crew.

a vast majority of that goes directly into the crew's pocket.

the remaining portion is used for team moral/building.

i'll edit my post (if I still can).

And where did you get the idea that " NCL are very open that NOT 100% goes to crew"?

Edited by fstuff1

no, I do mean all goes to the crew.

a vast majority of that goes directly into the crew's pocket.

the remaining portion is used for team moral/building.

i'll edit my post (if I still can).

What if the crew don't meet the performance metrics to get "all" of the money, then where does it go?

And where did you get the idea that " NCL are very open that NOT 100% goes to crew"?

If your boss takes some of YOUR earned income and buys you a cake with it, that is called wage theft. It is not the same as getting "all" the money because the boss spent the money on the cake.

I'm no Rocket Surgeon, but given a choice between a slice of cake and the money they earned, I'm pretty sure the crew would pick the money.

This is taken from my confirmation for my January 2016 cruise:

Service Charges:

On all Norwegian Cruise Line ships a discretionary "on-board service charge" of $12.95 per person per day for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview,

Balcony and Mini-Suite categories is applicable. Guests occupying The Haven or Suite categories will incur a charge of $14.95 per person per day

automatically to the on-board account of all guests. There is no charge for children under the age of three at time of sailing.

If you wish to make things even easier, you may pre-pay your service charge up to one week prior to sailing. Please contact your travel professional and the

charge can be added to your booking, it will be shown separately on the confirmation invoice.

If your boss takes some of YOUR earned income and buys you a cake with it, that is called wage theft. It is not the same as getting "all" the money because the boss spent the money on the cake.

I'm no Rocket Surgeon, but given a choice between a slice of cake and the money they earned, I'm pretty sure the crew would pick the money.

ahh.. yup, I said similair sentiments in my post.

What if the crew don't meet the performance metrics to get "all" of the money, then where does it go?

I'm confident it all gets doled out.

here's an example:

Company has 4 employees and total tip pool = $11.

$1 get sets aside for moral/team building so $10 goes into the employee's pockets.

employee A+B gets a 4 rating.

Employee c+D gets a 2 rating.

A+B get $4 each, c+d get $1 each

Edited by fstuff1

here's an example:

Company has 4 employees and total tip pool = $11.

$1 get sets aside for team morale/building so $10 goes into the employee's pockets.

employee A+B gets a 4 rating.

Employee c+D gets a 2 rating.

A+B get $4 each, c+d get $1 each

What if A, B, C, D each got a 4 rating? Wouldn't there be a shortfall by your math?

What if A, B, C, D each got a 2 rating? Wouldn't there be an overage by your math?

If A.B.C.D all got 4 ratings and there is only $10, they each only get $2.50? How is that fair when A and B otherwise would get $4 each?

If A.B.C.D all got 2 ratings they would all get $1 each? Where does the other $6 go? Or do they all get $2.50 for their 2 rating or 4 rating irregardless? Because if that is the case the crew have NO incentive to work harder; in fact they are discouraged from being "above and beyond" and will all collectively "sandbag" to game the system.