Question about visiting ports after a major storm

Domino D

I have travel insurance. I am fine with them changing the itinerary, if it happens. I am just looking for a gauge on likelihood. We sail on Oasis on 9/24 to St Martin, San Juan, and Labadee. Irma will be passing pretty much directly over 2 of the 3 ports. How common is it for the ports to be up and running again 2 weeks after a storm of this nature?

I hope everyone there will be safe, and "no" this is not a major concern, just something I'm wondering if anyone has experience with.

I have travel insurance. I am fine with them changing the itinerary, if it happens. I am just looking for a gauge on likelihood. We sail on Oasis on 9/24 to St Martin, San Juan, and Labadee. Irma will be passing pretty much directly over 2 of the 3 ports. How common is it for the ports to be up and running again 2 weeks after a storm of this nature?

I hope everyone there will be safe, and "no" this is not a major concern, just something I'm wondering if anyone has experience with.

A lot depends on if the pier(s) survive. If they do, and the infrastructure and town aren't completely decimated, then it's possible they could be back up and running after two weeks. Irma isn't an ordinary hurricane though. I forget how long Cozumel was shutdown after Wilma but it was quite a while - the piers were smashed. We went there a couple months after the hurricane and I was amazed how void the island was of vegetation, it was like the island was wiped clean.

A lot depends on if the pier(s) survive. If they do, and the infrastructure and town aren't completely decimated, then it's possible they could be back up and running after two weeks. Irma isn't an ordinary hurricane though. I forget how long Cozumel was shutdown after Wilma but it was quite a while - the piers were smashed. We went there a couple months after the hurricane and I was amazed how void the island was of vegetation, it was like the island was wiped clean.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like a lot depends on pier condition from what you say. I know a lot of those islands depend on tourism dollars. Hopefully things won't get to that point, but this is a massive looking storm.

I'm on your sailing too and wondering. Guess we would just go somewhere else?

I'm on your sailing too and wondering. Guess we would just go somewhere else?

Yeah, I'm guessing we will go Western Caribbean, but was really just wondering what would cause a change. Sounds like it would mostly be dependent on pier condition. Unfortunately, Jose is coming right behind Irma, hopefully it doesn't follow the same path. In any event see you there.

I am on the same sailing. Assume we would just adjust to the western. Would rather be east, but I would be on a cruise so I don't care. As my hubby reminded me, remember this time it's about Oasis not where it goes. Just hoping the people in harms way are safe. That's the most important thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How common is it for the ports to be up and running again 2 weeks after a storm of this nature?

The problem lies in trying to compare this storm to other storms "of this nature." This storm is a monster at present, way more powerful than most storms to ever hit most Caribbean islands. If a particular takes a direct hit from a cat 4 or cat 5 (Irma is currently a cat 5) storm, it could be weeks if not months before that port is operational. It all depends on the strength of the storm and how close they storm passes to a particular port. A direct hit from a TS or a cat 1 can be more devastating than a near miss from a 3 or 4.

After Hugo it took months for St Thomas to get back in business. We had friends vacationing there and it took them a week just to get a flight off the island.

I fear that it will be a long time before St Martin can recover. Thoughts and prayers are with everyone there.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

In my limited experience, I have found areas after natural disasters like this to be extremely sad and tragic. It will profoundly change the calibre of your vacation experience. Even if up and running, the people have been through devastation of family and property and will not be able to provide the same experience, as they are truly concentrating on saving and rebuilding their livelihoods and seeing countries that have limited resources struggling to put themselves back together is much different than the glossy brochure phtots you have been dreaming of.

Not that I truly love Labadee....

But I do when we can access the 'suite' beach.

We are on the 9/23 Harmony and got a GS just so we could do that. We are older & not really beach people except for that one.

I will be very disappointed if we miss it. My husband says not to worry...what could blow away there ?

But I still think there might be enough damage that we do not stop there.

Not that I truly love Labadee....

My husband says not to worry...what could blow away there ?.

The buffet and the bar!!!!

Seriously, we stopped there shortly after the last "BIG ONE" and off loaded tons of bottled water and supplies for the people of Haiti. So, I am guessing if we can stop we will. However, we (PAX) might not get to visit as usual.

Wilma destroyed the piers on Coz.l I couldn't believe the pictures. I believe it was about 14 mos. before repairs were good enough to call there. The island of Coz did an amazing rebuild after Wilma. We shall see how other islands handle this devastation tho' this one is even worse than Wilma.

We stopped in Belize, right after tropical storm/hurricane Richard hit it, which was only a few days after, first time there, it looked like a complete ghetto, like a place where you could get shot walking down the street, everything was open though. Was in Cozumel a year after Wilma, the place was still torn up

We stopped in Belize, right after tropical storm/hurricane Richard hit it, which was only a few days after, first time there, it looked like a complete ghetto

And keep in mind that at its peak, Richard was only a cat 2 storm. Irma is a massive cat 5. You hear lots of people mention visiting an island after a storm saying things like, "we were there 2 weeks later and everything was open" or whatever. Likely those ports did not get A) a direct hit and/or B) the storm was much smaller than Irma is now. Big difference between a 2 and a 5, and big difference when you get a direct hit vs. being even 100 miles away from the eye.

Our cruise to St. Thomas and other Eastern Island isn't until April 1 of 2018. on Allure Will that 6 months be enough time for them to re-coop some for the cruise to take place

There is no way of knowing at this stage. It all depends on how much damage they took and where. For an island like St Maarten which I know took catastrophic damage that answer is very likely no, St Thomas i'm not sure of yet. Even if they were to allow ships in by then, there's no guarantee what would be available. Just don't be shocked if there are port changes down the road once damage can be truly assessed. Bottom line, far too early to know about that far out.

From one report: "So to give you all some insight St Thomas is completely devastated! The Castle was hit extremely hard! Roof is off Hilltop 1, and Villas, as well as one building in PP. other buildings roofs that are not off are in very bad shape. 245 plus sliders have been blown out, and pretty much every unit has taken in massive water in every building. The ceiling in the lobby is down for the most part. As I have heard up to this post everyone survived so that's all that matters, we can always re build, but it will take quite sometime! What people did not realize in a storm like this that hurricane shutters are great but if there wasn't and windows cracked open just a little but to get cross ventilation through the pressure was so massive it was like an explosion. Walls and ceilings are cracked and crumbled, the damage is massive at the castle to say the least. French town is gone, buildings and is under water, as well as the airport under water. The Hospital top two floors all windows blown out and roof is off. Storm surge is at 12 feet and rising, it is floor blocks past Main Street at this time of the post. There has been over a foot of water dumped, and half a foot more to fall over night. They are still receiving 75 mph gusts at this time. Please keep praying as this storm makes Hugo and Marilyn look like bad thunderstorm!"

Also: "The Category 5 storm battered the tiny island of Barbuda and left thousands homeless on the island territories of St. Bart and St. Martin, where local officials said about 95 percent of the island was completely demolished after Wednesday's thrashing."

With devastation like this, making an island looking good and ready for tourists is way down on the list of priorities.

Not really, as the tourists bring badly needed MONEY in times like this.

Yes, this. I'm on Harmony in February 2018 with stops at Labadee, San Juan and St Martin. If the itinerary changes, I'm okay with that, but these islands will need tourist dollars to help them rebuild. I know in the past, the cruise lines have helped with deliveries of much needed supplies on their regular stops after a disaster like this.