Global entry

RNGALNG

We went through the process and received our Global entry cards. So glad we did this before the rush that seems to be going on now to receive them. Now to have an opportunity to use it!

Question: This gets you TSA approval for for flights. Does it get you to the front of that line at the airports? There is always a special line for the handicapped folks and they are whisked through quickly. This is what we saw last winter at the port upon return from our cruise. Those with the card went through that line very fast. Am I dreaming or will it be the same at airports too?

Yes, having Global Entry generally allows you to use the TSA pre-check lines IF you provide your Trusted Traveler number to your airline a few days prior to your flight. The simplest way to do that is to belong to the airline's frequent flyer program and have the numbers in your profile.

Theoretically, you are never guaranteed pre-check and can be randomly redirected to normal screening. However, that happens at the checkpoint, so you will be next instead of being at the back of the line.

Edited by AJs Grandpa

It allows you to use TSA precheck lines at airports. Not the same as handicap access. Precheck is usually much faster, unless they are still randomly assigning people this access making the line longer and full of people who do not know what to do. It also depends on whether the precheck line is open. At major airports during peak times they are typically open. Plus randomly you can not be assigned access. This has happened to me once in the past year.

Edited by mina

Just a hint (based on experience). Do not totally rely on the interlink between frequent flyer clubs and Global Entry. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work (should we be surprised by airline computer glitches). It is wise to always fill in the "KTN" field on the form when making any airline reservation. The Global Entry number simply goes into that field. If you forget or have an existing reservation simply go to the airline's web site, pull up your reservation, and add your KTN (Known Traveler Number).

Global Entry is also being used (on an experimental basis) at Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale). When you debark from a cruise and walk into the terminal there is usually a separate line for those with Global Entry. This may or may not save time depending on the various queues. When you enter the Global Entry Line (at the port) they may or may not ask you to show your Global Entry ID card (it is the only time we have ever been asked to show the card).

Hank

Pre-Check and ability to use "Pre" line is ONLY granted when it appears on your boarding pass, if for what ever reason it does not show up on your BP you will not be allow to use the "Pre" line and Pre-Check regardless of your Global Entry card or any other trusted traveler credential

GE is not a 100% guarantee for anything

Srpilo

There are times when pre check appears on your boarding pass and is still not available. This is most common on international flights. I had it happen recently coming to the US from London, and a few minutes later rode an elevator with a TSA agent, so I asked about it. He was initially quite huffy until I said that I wasn't arguing, I was asking. I was already thru the process! Then he said that they were no longer allowing any pre checks on international flights for security reasons. I have no idea if that meant "today," this month, or forever!

Edited by moki'smommy

Global Entry is also being used (on an experimental basis) at Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale). When you debark from a cruise and walk into the terminal there is usually a separate line for those with Global Entry. This may or may not save time depending on the various queues. When you enter the Global Entry Line (at the port) they may or may not ask you to show your Global Entry ID card (it is the only time we have ever been asked to show the card).
There's a line in immigration to the right as you disembark in Ft. Lauderdale that says "Global Entry" but when I went to go through it last month, they said they weren't set up yet and we're just checking passports as usual and didn't need to see my GE card.

There are times when pre check appears on your boarding pass and is still not available. This is most common on international flights. I had it happen recently coming to the US from London' date=' and a few minutes later rode an elevator with a TSA agent, so I asked about it. He was initially quite huffy until I said that I wasn't arguing, I was asking. I was already thru the process! Then he said that they were no longer allowing any pre checks on international flights for security reasons. I have no idea if that meant "today," this month, or forever![/quote']

I'm flying internationally on Thursday.....so what happens? You have pre-check on your boarding pass, and get to the front of that line and they tell you to start over in the other line?? :confused: I'm confused by what you are saying....there wouldn't be pre-check in London.

Edited by Murphey

I just filled out my application two weeks ago and yesterday got approved for the interview. When I checked the schedule for the Tampa location, the earliest interview was mid September. Make sure to schedule your appointment as soon as you are notified. I'm wondering how long it will take to get the card or will I get it during the interview?

It generally takes a little time after the interview to get your number. I wouldn't be surprised if it might take longer now that everybody is rushing to get TSA pre.

And, yes, they are still randomly select people for TSA pre. I travel frequently for work and I see them in the Pre line all the time.

I just filled out my application two weeks ago and yesterday got approved for the interview. When I checked the schedule for the Tampa location, the earliest interview was mid September. Make sure to schedule your appointment as soon as you are notified. I'm wondering how long it will take to get the card or will I get it during the interview?

we started the process 3 weeks ago and hoped to go to tampa for interview as it is only an hour away

…like you we saw the next appointments were in September…orlando was just as bad…we gutted it out and drove down to miami airport where the folks had very convenient appointment times…that ….and a great cuban restaurant near the airport made the drive worthwhile for us.

the card they advised is mailed in 7-10 days, but the number can be used immediately.

Edited by tml1230

I just filled out my application two weeks ago and yesterday got approved for the interview. When I checked the schedule for the Tampa location, the earliest interview was mid September.
Keep checking to see if there are open times. They do open up as people cancel or change appointments.

Pre-Check and ability to use "Pre" line is ONLY granted when it appears on your boarding pass, if for what ever reason it does not show up on your BP you will not be allow to use the "Pre" line and Pre-Check regardless of your Global Entry card or any other trusted traveler credential

GE is not a 100% guarantee for anything

Srpilo

Are you sure about this? Link to info below says a Global Entry Pass includes TSA Prechek -- that's why the GP is more expensive.

Am I misinterpreting the info? Sure don't want to be in the wrong line!:eek:

https://www.dhs.gov/comparison-chart

It generally takes a little time after the interview to get your number. I wouldn't be surprised if it might take longer now that everybody is rushing to get TSA pre.

And' date=' yes, they are still randomly select people for TSA pre. I travel frequently for work and I see them in the Pre line all the time.[/quote']

The problem with TSA precheck at the moment is the TSA did not get the projected number of passengers enrolling in it which is one of the factors as to why they are understaffed.

If the precheck lanes at a particular airport is not busy or not processing the required number of passengers decided for that airport they are faster to close those lanes and redeploy those TSA agents to other lanes.

Take care,

Vinnie

And' date=' yes, they are still randomly select people for TSA pre. I travel frequently for work and I see them in the Pre line all the time.[/quote']

We had notification that we had a number before we even left the airport after we were interviewed. That was less than two years ago. Of course, we had waited two months for the interview.

Global Entry has saved us hours since then. In Port Everglades, it makes B2B turnarounds bearable. I flew last week and the line for TSA was over an hour long. I walked through in less than 5 minutes.

I am wondering how many people have this access, how difficult it is to get, and if people find that it was worth whatever process was needed in order to obtain the access.

Any info greatly appreciated as I am retiring (June 17!!!) and we will be able to travel more.

Also, does this only work for international flights or does one get TSA Pre-check for U.S domestic flights?

Edited by Thrak

We have Global Entry as part of the NEXUS package we pay $50 for every 5 years. We do use it at land crossings and some airports but we have yet to use it at a cruise terminal....but looking forward to it.

Pre-check wasn't part of GE when we first enrolled but was linked shortly thereafter. We love it. Well worth the time, cost and effort if you fly domestically a few times during the term of the enrollment. Almost always in a much shorter line. We are in the renewal process now and never thought about not renewing.

I am wondering how many people have this access, how difficult it is to get, and if people find that it was worth whatever process was needed in order to obtain the access.

Any info greatly appreciated as I am retiring (June 17!!!) and we will be able to travel more.

Also, does this only work for international flights or does one get TSA Pre-check for U.S domestic flights?

I don't know how many people have GE. Perhaps you can look around on US Govt sites to look for the number if it is important to you.

I did not find it difficult to obtain, although you do have to go to one of their offices (at airports usually) for a face to face interview, this being after you've completed your application online.

Absolutely it has been worthwhile for me. You will have TSA pre flying domestically as well as outbound on international flights. Check the website for a list of participating airlines for TSA pre. Not all airlines are in, but most are.

Edited by RJ2002

I don't know how many people have GE. Perhaps you can look around on US Govt sites to look for the number if it is important to you.

I did not find it difficult to obtain, although you do have to go to one of their offices (at airports usually) for a face to face interview, this being after you've completed your application online.

Absolutely it has been worthwhile for me. You will have TSA pre flying domestically as well as outbound on international flights. Check the website for a list of participating airlines for TSA pre. Not all airlines are in, but most are.

Thanks. SMF (Sacramento) airport is only about 90 miles away so not a hardship to go there for an interview. It looks like they want a 5 year work history and residence history. Since I've been employed by the state of California for the past 16 years and have lived in the same home (paid for!) for maybe 27 years or so I don't think that will be difficult info to come by. :)

Sorry, we live very near SMF and would be thrilled if the interviews were available there. Alas, SFO is the closest, and, for weekends anyway, there is a long wait for a slot. We wanted a Saturday time when we submitted our renewal paperwork in mid-January and our appointment is in two weeks. :mad: Admittedly, I haven't kept checking to see if there was a cancellation because there was no need to hurry.

Again, to be clear, TSA pre-check is available at SMF, but Global Entry interviews are not.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement!

You can get all the correct facts on the DHS and related US Gov web-sites. Lots of incomplete and mis-information on this thread.

Global Entry and TSA Pre-check are two different but related beasts. There are other similar things like Nexus which have some relation as well.

Global Entry generally allows you to re-enter the US in an expedited manner and will give you TSA Pre-Check as well. It requires an online application, payment of a fee and then an interview if your online application is approved. It's easier to fill out the online app before you travel a lot as one question asks for every country you've visited in the last 10 years. That was time consuming for us as we've been retired for four years now and the list was pretty long!

The time for your application to be approved can vary. It took us about 10 calendar days back in Sept 2015 and we were able to schedule an interview in Tucson within five days. There are horror stories about other areas taking much much longer.

TSA Pre-Check, as a separate program, is intended pretty much for use in the US. There have been comments about Pre-Check in London, but that's not where TSA operates so I don't know how that works. Anyway, if the Pre-Check lanes are open at the security checkpoints, you don't have to remove shoes or belts, laptops can stay in their bags and your "311 bag" of liquids can remain in your bag as well.

Warning: Always pack your liquids in your "311 bag" even if you have Pre-check because if the lane is closed, you may have to pull it out.

OK all that said, I know this is incomplete and hopefully doesn't contain too much misinformation - go read the DHS web-sites.

TSA Precheck use to work when coming in from an international flights. There was always a precheck line after c and I and recheck of your cases from international to domestic. A couple of days ago when we returned from Europe, there was no pre check line. When we inquired were told that all

precheck TSA have been shut down and the agents are now doing regular checks. The TSA agent did say, just out outside, and upstairs and get in the

domestic precheck line. This I guess is the new normal. A friend came though Atlanta at the same time as was told the same thing. Leave the area, go outside and re enter . It will be so much faster than having to remove all

items from case, shoes off and the like. This of course if you have a green check TSA pre on your boarding pass.

TSA Precheck use to work when coming in from an international flights. There was always a precheck line after c and I and recheck of your cases from international to domestic. A couple of days ago when we returned from Europe, there was no pre check line. When we inquired were told that all

precheck TSA have been shut down and the agents are now doing regular checks. The TSA agent did say, just out outside, and upstairs and get in the

domestic precheck line. This I guess is the new normal. A friend came though Atlanta at the same time as was told the same thing. Leave the area, go outside and re enter . It will be so much faster than having to remove all

items from case, shoes off and the like. This of course if you have a green check TSA pre on your boarding pass.

Thanks