Cunard dress code

cruiser 101

Looking at a 78 day cruise from FLL to FLL in 2015. Excited about the intenerary but concerned about sailing on the Queen Victoria, is she to formal for a 78 day cruise? The most formal we have been on is HAL and there are ways to get around those formal nights, can this be said about Cunard? Will we have to sail steerage?

The most formal we have been on is HAL and there are ways to get around those formal nights, can this be said about Cunard?
By dining in the buffet and restricting yourself to one public room (the Winter Garden) you can survive formal nights without formal wear. But even at the most casual standard a jacket is expected in the dining room.

If you would not be comfortable with these expectations Cunard may not be for you.

Cunard is certainly more formal then HAL, however you can dine in the Lido to avoid dressing for the MDR. I'd say 90% obey the evening dress code on Cunard compared with 75% on HAL.

If you dislike formal nights and there will be ALOT of them, I'd probably suggest you consider looking at other cruises. The QV is a wonderful ship, in fact I'd say it's my favourite ship.

You do not say if you are male or female.

Surely male has no problems, Formal: One tux, one formal pants, two shirts , one bow tie. Informal: One jacket or blazer, one pair regular pants, two shirts, one tie. Same shoes for each night.

Female minimum, Formal"about 4 classic floor length knit solid colour chemises, one pair evening sandals. Informal : same 4 chemises plus another 4 patterned knit chemises , floor length or tea length , same evening s sandals.

To vary the looks I would take at least 9 chiffon (beaded or patterned ) or similar stoles, plus about 4 really eye popping necklaces. 2-3 sparkling evening clutches

If you have room in your case , you can add, another couple of patterned dresses, or more stoles. Stoles can be in colours or patterns you would not wear in a dress,the more bling the better.

I have put knit chemise dresses because these can be rolled , take up little space and do not crease, plus can be hand washed and drip dried .

I would advise against sequined dresses or tops, they are heavy and require special cleaning, and because they are sparkling they limit the colour of stoles. It is better to keep the dress under stated and really be eye catching in the stoles, and jewels

Not "dressing" and limiting yourself to the Lido,/Winter garden , you will miss the enjoyment that can be had in the theatre, the Queens Room, Chart room or other lounges. The charm of Cunard is that it is "dressy",

I always take several pair of silk chiffon pants that can be paired with great tops and elegant shawls. Mixed and matched, those cover quite a few evenings on longer trips. I do take extra evening shoes because invariably I will end up with a blister and need to change out.

Looking at a 78 day cruise from FLL to FLL in 2015. Excited about the intenerary but concerned about sailing on the Queen Victoria, is she to formal for a 78 day cruise? The most formal we have been on is HAL and there are ways to get around those formal nights, can this be said about Cunard? Will we have to sail steerage?

Hi cruiser 101. Just so we're all on the same page - here is the current dress code for Cunard ships:

During the day casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth). Evenings will be split into 2 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies, a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for men or you may wear formal national dress or military uniform. Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights. A range of gentleman's formal wear is available to hire on board.

Informal evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above ...copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

Is it really that difficult to meet the dress code for "formal" nights? Anyway, perhaps the dress code will be changed again prior to the voyage you're looking at in 2015, in accordance with current trends.

BTW, based on my experience of 12 voyages on QM2, the majority of my fellow rowers in steerage class follow the dress code without missing a beat. (Exception being a few newbies to Cunard.)

Cheers,

Salacia

Female minimum, Formal"about 4 classic floor length knit solid colour chemises, one pair evening sandals. Informal : same 4 chemises plus another 4 patterned knit chemises , floor length or tea length

What exactly are chemises in the US? Google images (UK) appears to show underwear or nightwear :o

What exactly are chemises in the US? Google images (UK) appears to show underwear or nightwear :o

A chemise is technically a loose fitting gown, (and thus could be considered a "dress") but more commonly it is a term used to refer to lingerie, and particularly a slip.

I believe that Jimsgirl's was intending to refer to a loose-fitting dress in her post and was not intending to refer to lingerie.

I'll have to echo the other posts here. Cunard tends to be formal and you will find that frequent Cunard passengers chose these ships because of their formality rather than in spite of it. From the way you have worded your post it appears that you are not happy with that idea. Do you really want to spend 78 days on a ship where the atmosphere is a mismatch for your personality and vacation style?

A chemise is technically a loose fitting gown, (and thus could be considered a "dress") but more commonly it is a term used to refer to lingerie, and particularly a slip.

I believe that Jimsgirl's was intending to refer to a loose-fitting dress in her post and was not intending to refer to lingerie.

I certainly hope so!! :eek:

Cunard is formal, and that's the beauty of the line but I will say world voyages seem more relaxed than short trips.

That's not to say passengers don't follow the code, but it just seems not as rigid somehow.

Maybe it's the more relaxed atmosphere. Nothing is hurried as you have weeks in which to do it, sort of thing.

Oh my goodness "nightwear"!!!!! You really would not want to see me in my nightwear Ray66.

No , a chemise is a style, basically it means a slim dress without waist seams, mine have a round neckline, short sleeves, worn with or without a same material tie belt. Easy to make or to find in stores

Such a simple style, in knit fabric, packs easily rolled up, never needs ironing, can be hand washed , and hung to drip dry. When I had a mark on one of mine on my last cruise, I "dunked" it in the wash basin in my cabin, hung it on a wire hanger I had packed and hung the result in the shower . Result a clean fresh dress .

I go mad with stoles, choosing glittering, unusual fabrics, (I make my own). I also make simple clutches , a piece of fabric, 12 inches by 7, some lining, folded into 3, no fastening. for the front I use glittering pin on brooches. So easy, and inexpensive.

I am a dress up fiend. I wear a floor length dress every night , put on one of my collection of $25 necklaces, , throw on one of my many glittering stoles, pick up my clutch, and there I am ready to go anywhere on the ship.

Hi cruiser 101. Just so we're all on the same page - here is the current dress code for Cunard ships:

During the day casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth). Evenings will be split into 2 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies, a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for men or you may wear formal national dress or military uniform. Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights. A range of gentleman's formal wear is available to hire on board.

Informal evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above ...copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

Is it really that difficult to meet the dress code for "formal" nights? Anyway, perhaps the dress code will be changed again prior to the voyage you're looking at in 2015, in accordance with current trends.

BTW, based on my experience of 12 voyages on QM2, the majority of my

fellow rowers in steerage class follow the dress code without missing a beat. (Exception being a few newbies to Cunard.)

Cheers,

Salacia

Well anyone can read the Cunard so called take on the dress code dear. The line is not as formal as it used to be particularly since the demise of Queen Elizabeth 2 when formal nights meant formal and it was not only a pleasure to dress up but so exciting also to see the most wonderful gowns grace her decks. The OP should not worry and keep it simple, even in the grills.

Just my opinion.

Best

Judy

Hi,

I'm also looking at possibly doing a QM2 cruise in a grills suite and was wondering about the dress code. I can't wear heels and don't like dresses or jewelry. Will a simple pair of black pants and a nice top with flats be OK, or will they not allow me in the dining room because it's not dressy enough?

Neda

Hi Neda, yes! you can absolutely get by with black pants and nice dressy tops. There is no rule about wearing heels.....there are lots of choices for dressy flats.

There are also lots of really nice dress pants that can look formal with the right tops. Still pants and flats.......but with a formal look. :)

Oh my goodness "nightwear"!!!!! You really would not want to see me in my nightwear Ray66.

No , a chemise is a style, basically it means a slim dress without waist seams, mine have a round neckline, short sleeves, worn with or without a same material tie belt. Easy to make or to find in stores

Such a simple style, in knit fabric, packs easily rolled up, never needs ironing, can be hand washed , and hung to drip dry. When I had a mark on one of mine on my last cruise, I "dunked" it in the wash basin in my cabin, hung it on a wire hanger I had packed and hung the result in the shower . Result a clean fresh dress .

I go mad with stoles, choosing glittering, unusual fabrics, (I make my own). I also make simple clutches , a piece of fabric, 12 inches by 7, some lining, folded into 3, no fastening. for the front I use glittering pin on brooches. So easy, and inexpensive.

I am a dress up fiend. I wear a floor length dress every night , put on one of my collection of $25 necklaces, , throw on one of my many glittering stoles, pick up my clutch, and there I am ready to go anywhere on the ship.

Hi, Jimsgirl....would love to see some pictures of your dresses, stoles and necklaces!

Barbara

Hi, Jimsgirl....would love to see some pictures of your dresses, stoles and necklaces!

Barbara

I do not have the means of posting pictures, my dresses are very simple, straight fairly slim , plain no frills or ruffles. I rely on glittering stoles, bags and necklaces.

For my next cruise - 22 days , I plan 4 formal all one colour dresses but 10 stoles, and about 5 necklaces. For informal, the 3 of the formals formals, plus 4 same style by patterned dresses, an additional 8 different stoles, and about 3 additional necklaces.

I can wear the dresses for several nights each by wearing different stole , necklace, and different decorations pinned onto the various bags. I will take about 8 different bags.

No fear of the fashion police for me.

If I were to advise a new cruiser doing a 7-10 days, I would say that 4 dresses, 7 stoles, and 3 bags would allow them to be different each night.

The main advice would be , if you can only take one evening bag do NOT think you can use the same BIG OLD leather bag you use when you go to the grocery store. It will ruin the look of your dress, same with shoes, one pair of simple pair of black sandals not sneakers, running shoes, or flip flops or walking shoes.

Hi,

I'm also looking at possibly doing a QM2 cruise in a grills suite and was wondering about the dress code. I can't wear heels and don't like dresses or jewelry. Will a simple pair of black pants and a nice top with flats be OK, or will they not allow me in the dining room because it's not dressy enough?

Neda

Hi Neda. It seems to me that you have two distinct questions: the first being easily answered by reading Cunard dress code guidelines.

The second question is regarding the enforcement of the dress code. My personal obsvervation is in agreement with what has been indicated by previous comments on several threads: the dress code is not strictly enforced, especially for women. -S.

It is unclear from you posting exactly the type of shoes, pants and top you wish to wear.

If they are as follows then you would not have any problems :-

Shoes: evening type flat sandals - I wear this type of shoe

Pants:- evening type, soft material, plain black or dark single colour, maybe with chiffon overlay. Please do not think you can wear your regular jeans.

Top: Again one that can be described as for evening there are many suitable, chiffon, or prints with metallic thread, short or long sleeves. Not T shirt, sweat shirt , or shirts more suited for camping than dinner in the grills.

Bag:- Please make this a small clutch type not a big leather "carryall"

We joke about needing a fashion police, but seriously some passengers do think that be wearing an outfit more suited to going to the hardware store to buy a can of paint will do. I have seen hoodies, track suits, running shoes, even hiking boots worn with torn jeans.

No one insists on the full dress up that I do, but it is possible to be "dressed for dinner" without that- if you choose your shoes, pants, top , bag with thought

Archived