Hypothetical question about possible cancellation

lonegirl

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Dec 2 is our sail date on the Anthem. This was a gift for the 3 of us (hubby, son and I). Hubby is currently unemployed, but actively looking. The concern is that if he gets a job between now and then he may not be able to go on the cruise. He insists that our son and I go (with inlaws and friends). Ok so the question is....how late is too late to be able to get a refund? How does this work? It would be the inlaws who treated who would be affected, but just checking what the protocol would be. Thanks!!

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Dec 2 is our sail date on the Anthem. This was a gift for the 3 of us (hubby, son and I). Hubby is currently unemployed, but actively looking. The concern is that if he gets a job between now and then he may not be able to go on the cruise. He insists that our son and I go (with inlaws and friends). Ok so the question is....how late is too late to be able to get a refund? How does this work? It would be the inlaws who treated who would be affected, but just checking what the protocol would be. Thanks!!

You are just past final payment and without insurance you will only get a portion back which decreases with time.

Have your Husband be a no show. I assume you and your son will share the cabin. Good luck on DH finding a job!

Edited to add....................Follow Ken's advice!!!

Also consider the possibility of DH requesting a week without pay should he start work before the cruise. The most they could say would be no...

I was going to suggest this. Last year a new person joined my department. Within a month she was off to Hawaii. It had been arranged at hiring.

When he gets into the job interview process he should NOT mention the cruise. Once he is given a job offer he can negotiate either the start date or taking this as vacation time or not go, your option. Mentioning the cruise during the interview can cause the employer to pick someone else.

Except that we need the money now. I am just making enough to cover everything....but soon the furnace will be coming on. So, sadly not an option.

If that is the case, cancel him now (after moving him to the third person). While the cruise might be paid for, extra expenses tend to creep in. As Dave Ramsey says, time to deliver some pizzas.

When he gets into the job interview process he should NOT mention the cruise. Once he is given a job offer he can negotiate either the start date or taking this as vacation time or not go, your option. Mentioning the cruise during the interview can cause the employer to pick someone else.

Yes, we completely agree with this. He has had one interview already and another next week. But it is still 2.5 months to the cruise....if he can start asap it would be best....but will suck that he wont be with us :(

If that is the case, cancel him now (after moving him to the third person). While the cruise might be paid for, extra expenses tend to creep in. As Dave Ramsey says, time to deliver some pizzas.

It was a gift....so we are waiting to the last minute for confirmation as the rest of the family will be disappointed especially if he didn't end up with something and we cancelled. His name is in all over town....but we also have one of the highest unemployment rates in the province so it is tricky to find something.

We (in-laws) had the same issue last October. DS and DIL along with two granddaughters and us were booked on the Oasis for a Halloween cruise. DS lost his job and was in the hiring process for another that was to start the week before we sailed. We decided not to postpone his start date and canceled their portion of the cruise. DW and I still went OF COURSE.

We did have insurance and canceled at 16 days prior to sailing. I got 25% back in cash from RCCL under the normal cancellation rules. I then applied to the insurance under the "cancel for any reason" clause as job loss doesn't count as a covered event.

Insurance rejected the claim as "not covered". Then I had to go back to RCCL and get a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) which was 75% of the balance. The FCC are issued in the name of the booked PAX not the person who paid (ME) and have to be used within one year of cancellation by the named PAX.

We are leaving on the Oasis October 8th using the FCC. All said and done I was out about 25% after getting the cash and FCC back.

It's also not a short process, it took about two months to get the FCC numbers so we could apply them for final deposit on the 2017 cruise. FCC can't be used for deposit only toward final deposit.

After thinking I was going solo for our cruise in December, DH just started a new job. They did allow him a week off for the cruise, but ugh. Instead of flying from CA to Tampa on Friday for a Sunday sailing, we will be flying on Saturday. ( Hate the time change :eek::eek:) And he will have to return to work on Monday after we return. Poor DH. :*

The December 2nd cruise is a 12 night cruise on Anthem. So they would have to take off at least 2 weeks.

Exactly :) I have already made arrangements for my time....but if hubby gets offered a job....chances are he will not get the time. :( Sad as this has been in the works for 2 years.

After thinking I was going solo for our cruise in December, DH just started a new job. They did allow him a week off for the cruise, but ugh. Instead of flying from CA to Tampa on Friday for a Sunday sailing, we will be flying on Saturday. ( Hate the time change :eek::eek:) And he will have to return to work on Monday after we return. Poor DH. :*

That is cutting it very close, especially with air line track records. Good luck and have a great cruise. Also, congratulations on your DH's new job.

That is cutting it very close, especially with air line track records. Good luck and have a great cruise. Also, congratulations on your DH's new job.

Thank you Dennis. We are on the first flight of the morning leaving at 6AM and arriving in FL at 4:30PM so we have a buffer. It is funny that you mention it though. We have a plane change in Phoenix, our other choice was Denver...in December, I think not. :D And DH does seem to be very happy with his new job, after 29 years at his old job (company closed), so thanks!