Holland American Westerdam ?'s

beshears

I just read a couple member reviews of the HA Weterdam, and they were bad reviews. I am not a "nit picky" person, and it seemed like these reviews came from people like that.

If you have cruised the Westerdam within the past year, would you give me (yes I know this is YOUR opinion) your opinion of the food/entertainment, rooms etc.?

Just off. Loved the ship, loved the crew. It was a wonderful cruise. The evening entertainment was not what we've become accustomed to but I think that was a one off due to Dancing with the Stars and some last minute substitutions. I would happily sail on Westerdam again.

We just got off the Westerdam Saturday, and the food and room was as good as our three previous sailings on her.

We very often go to shows, but the two couples we were with did like the entertainment venues, especially the comedian who was a LA cop for eight years. We did see his show and it was great.

I no longer read reviews as we have never experienced any of the complaints that "reviewers" cite on their postings.

We are considering a cruise on the Westerdam so this is all very helpful.

On the entertainment subject, I heard from crew on the Noordam last week that the Westerdam is one of the first ships to roll out the shows with the new entertainment company. Their assessment (not mine- don't flame!) was that the new company is catering to an older demographic and the style isn't as flashy as the current company (that brought us Droom, Classique etc).

In a nutshell, they were not impressed.

I am curious to hear what recent passengers have thought of the new shows. Please chime in!

We were on at the end of November.

Food was great other than one kind of chewy strip loin steak in the main dining room.

We had early set dining and our waiter had a tough section of people who for the most part felt the seating time was a very loose guideline and any would show up wayyy past 20 minutes late and he still managed to get everyone fed.

After the first night when he held back taking our orders till the table mates showed up he just took ours immediately and dealt with the rest when and if they ever showed up. I don't know how he did it with two of his other tables pulling the same stunt nightly.

I found the entertainment lineup good, I like the HAL production shows and whatever variety acts they have on which of course are typical cruise acts but I found them enjoyable even knowing more or less what to expect. Always were able to get seats at the shows without rushing our dinners to get there.

This ship is clean clean clean and we thoroughly enjoyed our trip. I believe you should fear not.

Over and out.

Carla

Edited by Dobermangal

Okay well now I'm back

With one more thought.

On the subject of the production shows, if the new company is the one who did the shows we saw involving aerial silk acrobatics and trapeze work along with the usual singing and dancing then I'm not sure that this would be classed as catering to an older audience, those shows had popular music from the eighties and onward and were good fun.

Now I am truly over and out... I work at 500 am and I'm beat :)

Carla

We also just returned on the Westerdam this past Saturday. We very much enjoyed the entertainment in the show lounge. They did have members from Dancing With the Stars perform one night and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't know if that will be every week. The Westerdam cast was very entertaining. We are not professional critics so others may have a different opinion. The comedienne was hysterical as was the magician. The guy entertaining in the Piano Bar was very good as was the BB King band. All of the shows we went to were a full house.

Diane

We are considering a cruise on the Westerdam so this is all very helpful.

On the entertainment subject, I heard from crew on the Noordam last week that the Westerdam is one of the first ships to roll out the shows with the new entertainment company. Their assessment (not mine- don't flame!) was that the new company is catering to an older demographic and the style isn't as flashy as the current company (that brought us Droom, Classique etc).

In a nutshell, they were not impressed.

I am curious to hear what recent passengers have thought of the new shows. Please chime in!

Do you know the name of the new Entertainment company?

Do you know the name of the new Entertainment company?

Sorry Krazy Kruizers- I forgot to ask the name of the company (again!). Glad to hear a seasoned HAL cruiser has been happy with the Westerdam. When hubby brought up the idea of a Westerdam cruise I could not recall any tidbits, good or bad, to share with him. Thanks also to the others who have approved of the recent shows!

The Westy is FINE ship. Wouldn't hesitate to spend time on her.

As far as shipboard entertainment, is it top flight show? No. There are no shows on any ship that are "top flight", it is on a ship after all.

Is the entertainment bad? Not at all!

Keep in mind most negative reviews are written by whine babies who squeal like a scalded piglet when they need to re-tie their shoes.

Thank you "everyone" for your "honest" replies. This I appreicate. :) Your replies LOOK so much better than the current reviews from members I read. As I said, anyone can be "nit picky," but we are not that kind of people.

It will be 26 years since my friend and I took our first cruise on the HAL, and we thoroughly enjoyed it, not really knowing what to expect, but I was HOOKED from then on. My friend and I celebrated our "2nd" cruise together after 25 years, last year. I have done many cruises since then, but we may cruise again this year, and that is why I wa ask about the Westerdam.

I just read a couple member reviews of the HA Weterdam, and they were bad reviews. I am not a "nit picky" person, and it seemed like these reviews came from people like that.

If you have cruised the Westerdam within the past year, would you give me (yes I know this is YOUR opinion) your opinion of the food/entertainment, rooms etc.?

Yes, you are correct. I believe most of the bad reviews come from "nit pickers" who go around the ship with a magnifying glass looking for carpet stains or who had some situation happen particular to them that they feel staff mishandled. Just got off the "Westy" in January and, outside of the marginal entertainment that many posters mentioned, thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. Rooms comfortable, clean and well taken care of by cabin attendant, food excellent in both MDR and Pinnacle, staff friendly and responsive. Don't be put off by the nay sayers.

Yesterday I spoke with friends who are currently sailing Westerdam and they have cruised a great deal and have done huge amount of travel in general. They are happy and enjoying the ship though they did comment some cutbacks are noticeable. They said the crew is wonderful, their cabin is in fine condition, the food is generally good though not overall excellent.

As reported by our Westerdam Cruise Director, July, 2014, the ship has the highest number of repeat customers as well as lowest crew turnover in the HAL fleet.

You must not have heard the CD when he muttered "next to the Prinsendam".

Prinsendam still has the highest number of repeat passengers in the HAL fleet.

Westerdam is second. Of course, as the Captain said when we were on the Westerdam, Prinsendam is in a class of it's own and doesn't count - LOL.

Of course, as the Captain said when we were on the Westerdam, Prinsendam is in a class of it's own and doesn't count - LOL.

That captain is right on the first part (class of its own), but wrong as all get-out on the second. The Prinsendam sure does count---as the most special ship in the fleet! :D