Irons not allowed?

Watched a video today where a girl said that Security had scanned her bags and confiscated her travel iron - is this normal?!!

If they do, do they supply an iron in your cabin to use or are you just expected to walk about looking like your clothes just jumped out the ironing basket?

First cruise on Voyager in 2 weeks time so am now getting down to the nitty gritty!

Watched a video today where a girl said that Security had scanned her bags and confiscated her travel iron - is this normal?!!

If they do, do they supply an iron in your cabin to use or are you just expected to walk about looking like your clothes just jumped out the ironing basket?

First cruise on Voyager in 2 weeks time so am now getting down to the nitty gritty!

Yes, normal. No irons or steamers allowed on any Royal ship. No guest laundry facilities either. They do offer a laundry and pressing service.

YES, irons are fire hazard.

Well, everyone on the ship does not have an iron, so if your clothes were wrinkle free, than you would stand out like a sore thumb!

Just remember, ships are not hotels, they are ships, and the rules are different. You can find a list of banned items on RCCL webpage. There are many ways to protect you clothes from deep wrinkles, from the way you pack to the way you unpack. Also chose what you bring based on how wrinkle free they are!

That sucks. How stupid is that? - my first ever cruise maybe my last...

I roll my casual clothes and once they are hung in the closet the wrinkles come out just fine.

My dress clothes are left on the hangers, covered with a plastic dry cleaner bag and folded over once and placed on top of my other clothes. Never a wrinkle!!

Please don’t let not having an iron keep you from enjoying a cruise!! It is wonderful!!!

On Sunday we departed Allure, they had a table setup just off the ship of confiscated items that could be given back to the guest. Saw many irons & other items, but there was an electric griddle!!! I had to stop & ask the lady if someone really tried to bring that on & she said yes!!!

I've never found the need for an iron on a cruise. I fold my husband's shirts carefully and hang them as soon as we board - never a problem. I pack my clothes in plastic bags ie, several tops folded well and then placed in a tight plastic bag. This prevents them moving around in the bag and getting squashed and wrinkled. Also, cruise clothing (well any travel clothing) should be easy care and crease resistant.

I have no problem with the NO IRON rule - I get it.....it's a hazard and should not be allowed.

Everyone always focuses on getting the clothes TO the ship without them getting wrinkled. That's not our issue. Our issue is they wrinkle AFTER you wear them and if you want to wear them again (evening clothes) they need to be sent out to be pressed. Again, not an issue as this is what we do but the entire conversation is not just about preventing wrinkles along the way. There's more to it than that.

It's just our expectation to have to send clothes out to be pressed if they are to be worn again.

I have no problem with the NO IRON rule - I get it.....it's a hazard and should not be allowed.

Everyone always focuses on getting the clothes TO the ship without them getting wrinkled. That's not our issue. Our issue is they wrinkle AFTER you wear them and if you want to wear them again (evening clothes) they need to be sent out to be pressed. Again, not an issue as this is what we do but the entire conversation is not just about preventing wrinkles along the way. There's more to it than that.

It's just our expectation to have to send clothes out to be pressed if they are to be worn again.

Hang clothes in bathroom while you take a hot shower. Smooth out wrinkles with your hand, if they haven't fallen out all by themselves.

Interestingly enough, some have reported good success using a hair straightener / so-called "flat iron" on their clothes. :)

Interestingly enough, some have reported good success using a hair straightener / so-called "flat iron" on their clothes. :)

This works for small areas (a shirt collar or isolated crease). Just make sure there isn't hair product residue on the straightener. I also bring fabrics that don't wrinkle easily or don't show the wrinkles too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you pack carefully and don't take things that require a lot of ironing you will find that most clothes end up with very few wrinkles, but you can't just throw things in a suitcase and hope for the best, (like members of my family do.)