Carnival Cut backs I noticed, that I had expected. Thought I'd share.

TORQ

Just sailed the Liberty 7-Feb-16 for the 3rd. time, and noticed these things that are now History.

1) No more chocolate at night on your rack.

2) No more items in your bathroom, just bar soap and the 2 liquids in the shower.

3) Promenade deck Sushi at 5pm. is history.

4) Maitre' D no longer comes to any table on your cruise.

5) No more table cloths, or neatly folded napkins at diner. Table cloths are only formal nights now.

6) Pass guest get together's, with drinks and hors d'oeuvres History! Was told only for Carnival Platinum members now.

From all of the posts I have been reading, appears that the trend in these "cutbacks", are going to be a continual process? Just like the airlines, the cruise ship companies are saving millions in fuel costs. Neither of those are passing on their monumental savings, to the traveler!

Historically, they didn't hesitate to raise prices!

Just sailed the Liberty 7-Feb-16 for the 3rd. time, and noticed these things that are now History.

2) No more items in your bathroom, just bar soap and the 2 liquids in the shower.

5) No more table cloths, or neatly folded napkins at diner. Table cloths are only formal nights now.

6) Pass guest get together's, with drinks and hors d'oeuvres History! Was told only for Carnival Platinum members now.

1, 4, 5 (for American table ships)and 6 have been that way for awhile now. What did they used to have in the bathroom? Can't comment on sushi since I don't eat it.

From all of the posts I have been reading, appears that the trend in these "cutbacks", are going to be a continual process? Just like the airlines, the cruise ship companies are saving millions in fuel costs. Neither of those are passing on their monumental savings, to the traveler!

Yea but the cutbacks op listed are old news. Nothing new and nothing that would make or break a cruise for me.

None of the items you mentioned had or have any bearing on my enjoyment of a cruise. Times change, food fads are not always consistent, table cloths aren't used in most fine restaurants these days, I no longer have to tip a maitre'd separately, the free samples having gone missing are more of a function of the suppliers who probably feel that weren't a good marketing effort, and I never attended those boring parties anyway.

And since I pretty much pay the same for a cruise now as I did 10 years ago even after inflation I applaud Carnival for keeping their prices in-line by getting rid of the superfluous stuff that don't mean much to me.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

I agree; none of these changes affect my love of cruises.

Still feel that they are a travel bargain, with everything included. A family group of 10 people, are joining us on our next cruise. Some of them have never cruised before, so it will be fun.

Many of the chocolates were being left or thrown away. The items in the bathrooms were from outside companies hoping to get someone onboard to buy their products. They stopped giving them to Carnival. The Sushi has been replaced with the Taste Bar with different items every night.

How long has it been since your last cruise? Most of these things have been gone for at least a year.

This has been going on for months, it's nothing new. Sad but true. [emoji17]

Are these constant "cutbacks", industry wide?

Or a Carnival trend only? I haven't taken a cruise in the last three years, so wondering if this is occurring on all the cruise lines?

Hmmm, I don't cruise other lines much, but what I've noticed lately is NCL and RCL cruisers really upset about increased prices for items onboard, like drinks and such. And, on NCL in particular, charging for venues that used to be free, like Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville on Escape. They also say the free food is bad and no lobster there at all in the free restaurants. So, probably, yeah, across the budget lines, anyway.

1, 4, 5 (for American table ships)and 6 have been that way for awhile now. What did they used to have in the bathroom? Can't comment on sushi since I don't eat it.

The companies that used to provide toiletries, razors, lotion etc., have stopped providing them to Carnival. That's the companies not Carnival, the cruise line never provided these. Sorry. I miss them.

Look close at what was paid a decade ago for a 7 night cruise versus 2016 prices. It looks like you'd be surprised to see the costs are not much more or actually less.

I took my family on the Celebration in 2001 and we just returned from the Magic last Sunday. My ocean view cabin was less this year than on the older, less feature laden ship.

Even further, the two cruises I went on the Mardi Gras were more expensive than today.

Edited by BallFour4

Everyone is cutting back and raising $$$.

Ok. Thanks for sharing. I haven't been on Carnival in 1.5 years so I didn't know about all of this. We'll see what I think about no tablecloths. They provide an elegance to fine dining I think.

We've noticed cutbacks over the years but I didn't realize the dish in the bathroom with toothpaste, razors, etc. is a thing of the past. I knew about Taste and enjoyed the samples they put out. The major cutback I noticed on Carnival over the past maybe 5 years was production shows: went from ~18 dancers/performers to 4 with a screen behind them.

I agree they're saving a lot of $$ on fuel but the passenger isn't going to benefit from that.

Agree that all lines have cut back somewhat. But I still got nightly chocolate on my last NCL cruise. :p

Some of the fuel costs has already been bought months ago prior to the drop in oil prices. Depending on the cruise/airline - some did better, some not so much.

However, look at the difference now compared to what used to be and where some of that profit may be going.

Prop planes used to be very common. Now they are far less common.

The technology difference in a 787 vs. that of a DC-10 is enormous. How safe is it to fly now vs. back then? Now more often than not it's pilot error. The cost of reliability and maintenance isn't cheap.

Look at the difference between a Fantasy Class ship vs. the Vista. While some still like the smaller older ships, the build costs between them isn't in the same ball park. Yet cruise prices haven't gone up anywhere close when compared to the build cost.

One thing that has changed a little is the number of passengers. It is more crowded/cramped now but it's not to a point where it has stopped the masses from traveling.

The chocolate was terrible, don't need nasal strips, hate sushi, have no desire to speak with the maitre d, don't care about table cloths, the past guest party was a big old carnival advertisement. Only good part was the free drinks. It wasn't worth the hour or so from my cruise.

I'm good. :)

Edited by kona_wahine

The chocolate was terrible, don't need nasal strips, hate sushi, have no desire to speak with the maitre d, don't care about table cloths, the past guest party was a big old carnival advertisement. Only good part was the free drinks. It wasn't worth the hour or so from my cruise.

I'm good. :)

LOL...so absolutely perfect except I enjoyed the past guest party, advertisements and all...and I sit right where the servers come out and you can be sure I have grabbed some free drinks! :D;):cool: