Weather in Britain?

We are on a late May/early June Celebrity cruise that starts in Amsterdam and includes Dublin, Cork, Liverpool, Guernsey and La Havre. Wondering what weather we can expect:

Will we need heavy raincoats and wellies? Should we bring shorts or stick to long pants?

Thanks in advance!

Leave your shorts at home and bring some more conservative non turisty looking clothing. Long pants and a nice top with a jacket is much more in keeping in British cities. You will probably need a small travel umbrella but it could also be warm and sunny so prepare for both.

The weather is likely to be warm, sunny, rainy, cold, miserable, wonderfully settled and outrageously changeable.

Basically it could be anything. At that time of the year it won't be cold and won't snow, but that's probably the most certainty you can have.

Bring lighter clothing and wear them in layers and bring a lightweight waterproof that you can hopefully just stash away and not use.

Anything goes clothes wise, so wear what you feel. I was in Guernsey about the time of year you mention and we spent the day riding bikes in shorts and t shirts. The following cruise couldn't get tenders away because of bad weather...

You really should not be wearing shorts unless you are on the beach. Certainly, walking around cities like Liverpool in shorts, unless you are young, is like walking around with a large sandwich board proclaiming TOURIST.

The weather is likely to be warm, sunny, rainy, cold, miserable, wonderfully settled and outrageously changeable.

Basically it could be anything. At that time of the year it won't be cold and won't snow, but that's probably the most certainty you can have.

Bring lighter clothing and wear them in layers and bring a lightweight waterproof that you can hopefully just stash away and not use.

Anything goes clothes wise, so wear what you feel. I was in Guernsey about the time of year you mention and we spent the day riding bikes in shorts and t shirts. The following cruise couldn't get tenders away because of bad weather...

Totally agree.

You really should not be wearing shorts unless you are on the beach. Certainly, walking around cities like Liverpool in shorts, unless you are young, is like walking around with a large sandwich board proclaiming TOURIST.

In the UK town where I live, quite a lot of men of all ages wear shorts if the weather is hot. You certainly wouldn't be marked down as a tourist here. As for being recognised as American, that will happen as soon as you start talking anyway. For goodness sake, wear what you like.

In the UK town where I live, quite a lot of men of all ages wear shorts if the weather is hot. You certainly wouldn't be marked down as a tourist here. As for being recognised as American, that will happen as soon as you start talking anyway. For goodness sake, wear what you like.

Agreed. Besides, if you don't want to look like a tourist, the only way to do it is to avoid visiting tourist sites. And presumably tourist sites are the reason you're there.

Ignore the nay sayers. We are an inclusive and cosmopolitan country! You can wear *whatever* you want and no-one will bat an eye lid (unless you are wanting to eat in the poshest restaurant or drink in a exclusive club).

I hope that, while touring on cruise line excursions, that jeans (not beat up, holey ones) are considered acceptable.

That's what I plan to wear, especially if the weather is cool.

Of course jeans will be acceptable. Or at least they will be acceptable to UK and European residents. Judging by some of the comments on this thread, I don't know what your fellow Americans will think about your clothing choice!

Please don't scare our visitors. Everyone knows that the answer to the question "Weather in Britain?" is "Yes, I'm sure we will have some." ;)

My Dad wears shorts and sandals during the summer, I've worn them myself a couple of times, but personally I don't think it gets warm enough for them.

Capri pants and skirts are perfectly acceptable for women of any age. Gentlemen if you choose to wear shorts, please don't wear socks with them, unless they are the footy type 😉

Yes I've seen people from USA/Canada say this a lot about shorts and I don't know where that comes from. If it's pretty warm you will see plently of people - even in cities- in shorts!