New tipping question

Italy52

For those that do tip extra to your room steward, do you also tip extra to the assistant room steward? Just wondering as sometimes the assistant seems to be doing quite a bit of work on our behalf. We usually tip both if we see quite a bit of extra effort on both parts but was just wondering if others feel the same as we do.

For those that do tip extra to your room steward, do you also tip extra to the assistant room steward? Just wondering as sometimes the assistant seems to be doing quite a bit of work on our behalf. We usually tip both if we see quite a bit of extra effort on both parts but was just wondering if others feel the same as we do.

Im sure there is an eitiquette whereby tips left on the cabin are shared. I would hate to think thatitwasfirst comefirst served. However, we have never left extra tips for the room stewards (except on P&O where the set tips are much lower than on X). They have done what was exected so we have not felt we had to leave addditional tips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I leave the automatic tips on my seapass account. I always seek out the Asst Stateroom Attendant at the end of the cruise and slip him some extra cash -- after all, he's the one who cleans your toilet and shower and keeps the bathroom clean and tidy. I'll give the Stateroom Attendant extra if he is on the ball with ice, extra clean towels, and other requests.

In the past, I have usually been introduced to the assistant by the room steward. I just create two envelopes and write a name on each to leave the extra tip.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Yes, I tip both extra.

Always tip both, in separate envelopes. Would not if I did not feel service was good...but on every X cruise I've been on it has been remarkable.

Also extra tip the MDR waiter, assistant waiter and sommelier--again based on level of service.

Completely voluntary, though. I just know that many of these people are supporting families back home--and a little bit goes a long way, not only monetarily, but also for their morale. They really do work hard!

Just off the Solstice and we did leave additional tips for staff, including stateroom service, on our SeaPass account.

The small form you fill out breaks it down so you can leave specific amounts to the different individuals based on their title.

We only met our stateroom attendant, William, who we actually rarely saw on the ship. On other cruises we always were running into our stateroom attendant. Here we hardly saw him.

He provided great service, so we did fell the need to provide additional gratuities.

Thanks all for your input. We usually put the extra money into separate envelopes and hand them to the respective individuals with our thanks. Glad to see we are not alone.

You are not alone.

When we extra tip...

We put money with a Thank You Card in an envelope marked with each individuals name, and give it to them personally (Originally we used Celebrity Stationery found in our cabin... But that has been discontinued... So now we bring our own)

Individuals are extra tipped who surpass expectations (extraordinary service).

In the past that has included: Our Room Steward & Asst - Head Waiter & Asst - Sommelier - Favourite Bartender etc

On occasion someone has not been extra tipped

For example on our last Cruise we extra tipped our Asst Cabin Steward but not the main one. Although the main one did his job fine, he was not very personable... Never introduced himself to me, rarely was seen around etc. whereas the Asst was very friendly, often around, remembered our names, and on at least one occasion ran down the hall to open our cabin door when we were coming back from ashore with our hands full of items.

Everyone, including the main Room Steward got the Daily Grats (as I said, no complaints he did his job) but the Asst Steward he got an Extra Tip. And because we know about Celebrity's REQUIRED Tip Reporting (when someone doesn't leave on Daily Grats) we made it very clear when we gave it to him that we had left ALL our Daily Grats in place, and this was something extra just for him cause he had been so friendly & kind... And had helped to make our cruise vacation extra special.

Extra Special Service = Extra Tips

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

PS... We also make a point of completing the After Your Cruise Survey & the Onboard Comment Cards... Not afraid to make pointed comments on either. Crew will tell you both are very important... Even more than an Extra Tip (especially Comment Cards) as these written records that make a difference when it comes to "Crew Rewards" (like an extra day off - complimentary phone call home etc ) and also Promotions.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks all for your input. We usually put the extra money into separate envelopes and hand them to the respective individuals with our thanks. Glad to see we are not alone.

What,s also a nice touch, is to place your extra gratuity in a thank you card with some sort of thank you message.

We put money with a Thank You Card in an envelope marked with each individuals name, and give it to them personally (Originally we used Celebrity Stationery found in our cabin... But that has been discontinued... So now we bring our own)

Just so you'll know -- you can pick up envelopes (and stationery) at the GR desk. You can also get additional "Attention to Detail" cards there, as well.:cool:

Been a while since we cruised X, going again in October. So appreciate your question.

We usually stick to the buffet on X for a late lunch and skip the MDR. We leave the auto tip on and leave the tip as is for the MDR.

We tip at the point of service in the buffet for items we have requested that staff have gotten for us. Sometimes we have found someone at the buffet that goes out of their way to do things and we always acknowledge them at the end of the cruise and write up something special for them and turn in the note at Customer Service.

For our cabin, we tip for room service at the time of service, have room service for breakfast daily. Bring back our late lunch from the buffet and enjoy in the cabin most days, we tip room service when they pick up the dishes at the point of service again.

Room steward... I believe we usually leave one envelop with a thank you note and expect that the room steward and assistant with share the xtra tips... over and above the auto tip. Your question will give something to consider on your next cruise which is 14 days, whether we want to give out separate evelops. We will see.

We always tip both our stateroom attendant and his assistant but, on many occasions, the assistant has insisted that both tips go through the senior attendant. Even when we have done that, the assistant has found us to thanks us in person so we know that the tips are getting through to the person they were intended.

Once or twice when we have not met the assistant and do not know his name, we have given the senior attendant one tips envelope marked as for both of them, the assistant has still thanked us personally.

There appears to be an etiquette for tipping room attendant which is followed. We always try to split our extra tips in a similar way to the [once] published allocation of gratuities and we appear not to be offending the etiquette.

Interesting, we always tip extra to both room attendant and their assistant, but we always give them to each separately. Have never had the assistant tell us to give it to the room attendant before as a few here have stated...... We HAVE given more to the assistant on occasion when he/she has been the one doing all the work in our room, but I guess from people are saying here that they pool the money anyway.

my reply did no show up...so another

we tip at point of service so that anyone that does a good job, independent of expectations, gets a pourboire. This reinforces the good deed to the performer.

staff work very hard and long hours with untold complaints.

on first arriving to the mdr on a cruise, many know me and the staff gives me

a three cheer.

so few extra dollars can make such a difference

What about tipping the butler in a suite when they bring your morning coffee. It is one of the duties they perform, should you give a few bucks just like regular room service? We will be getting coffee every morning. Some people tried tipping them at the beginning and were told not til after...

What about tipping the butler in a suite when they bring your morning coffee. It is one of the duties they perform, should you give a few bucks just like regular room service? We will be getting coffee every morning. Some people tried tipping them at the beginning and were told not til after...

It is not normal to tip your butler in the same way as for room service. You are, of course, always welcome to give an additional tip at the end of the cruise, if you wish.

Interesting, we always tip extra to both room attendant and their assistant, but we always give them to each separately. Have never had the assistant tell us to give it to the room attendant before as a few here have stated...... We HAVE given more to the assistant on occasion when he/she has been the one doing all the work in our room, but I guess from people are saying here that they pool the money anyway.

Hi GRACIE115,

Just to be clear.

Daily Grats & Extra Tips are not the same thing.

If you have left your Daily Grats in place as per Celebrity's Billing... Then any Extra Tips that you choose to give out are the Crew Member's to keep

It is only when Daily Grats have been removed by the Pax ... That the Crew must report Tips from that Pax, and then the Extra Tips go into the Tip Pool... So that each person in "the Team" that the Pax stiffed ends up getting something.

If you have left your Daily Grats in place you are free to Extra Tip whomever you choose as much as you choose... And they are free to keep that Extra Tip from you.

Hope that explains it...

Cheers!

Ps... Daily Grats Team includes the following:

From the Celebrity Website:

• $12 per person per day in staterooms

• $12.50 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $15.50 per person per day in suites

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience.

Past Celebrity editions went even farther with an explanation:

$ 11.50 per day per person for Guests in Staterooms, and

$ 12.00 per day per person for Guests in Concierge or Aqua Class Staterooms, or

$ 15.00 per day per person for Guests in Suites

The breakdown of those charges are as follows…

$ 3.65 per day for your Waiter

$ 2.10 per day for your Assistant Waiter

$ 3.50 per day for Stateroom Service* OR ($ 4.00 per day for Concierge / Aqua Class)

$ 1.25 per day for Other Service Personnel

In addition, Suites pay $ 3.50 per day for their Butlers

*NOTE – Gratuities may be shared with other staff members, depending on the particular service requirement (in the case of Stateroom Services… this means your Room Steward, their Assistant and anyone they may have to tip-out for additional services that you may require… depending on your needs / requests)

Edited by Sloop-JohnB