$7.95 Room Service Charge

Come on, if you were so smart you'd have been doing the second, more lucrative venture all along

j/k

:D

If I was really smart I'd give up this working nonsense. Danged bills! :)

This is why I have one more cruise with RCCL ... and then we will just cruise with Crystal.
I wish we could afford Crystal. It looks like it'll run double our upcoming Carnival (was Royal Caribbean) cruise.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how do I turn off notifications for this (what has officially turned into a generic RANT thread)?
Top right corner of the thread on the website... "THREAD TOOLS".

You're correct though; why is this the correct thread for posts about being unhappy about non-refundable deposits being non-refundable? :confused:

Hadn't thought of the gratuity.
Did I miss where it was determined that the $7.95 does not include gratuity? (That would be very possible.)

Getting your money's worth doesn't mean ordering much much more than you can eat to deliberately waste it unless of course you want to sample everything which would be legit. :)

Not trying to hijack the post but I never seriously considered how much food goes off the ship in port. In Cozumel docked with the Disney Wonder, I grab our beach bag and head off the ship. The police stop me, tell me to put down the bag. The dog sniffs it and to my horror hits on it. I'm panicking because the bag was always monitored except in our room. He asks, "Do you have any food?" No. "Are you sure?" Yes, I took an apple out of it this morning. He points me to another inspector. Bags and bags of food were there that had been confiscated. :o

But not as fun as the T.P. thread that went POOF today (hope it wasn't something I said :halo::')).

Why make the extra trip? New room service menu has fresh baked cheese or pepperoni pizza. Just order it when you order the wings. It's not like they're charging per item (YET!).

Hey, does anyone recall there being actual wings once upon a time on RCI's old free room service menu? I do, unless I have my cruise lines mixed up. :confused:

CB

Laura had some (50 :eek: ) delivered last fall on Jewel because she mentioned she enjoyed them in the CL, but had not seen any yet. They were very good I am told

I love RCCL but this room service charge is obnoxious. This is why I have one more cruise with RCCL (and I am platinum level so I have been cruising with them for years) and then we will just cruise with Crystal. We would MUCH rather pay one fee upfront (even a higher amount) and not have these idiotic one-offs for everything - including sodas, lattes, and now a room service charge? So if a guest gets ill, or twists an ankle, or (like me) is an author on deadline and spending quiet time working in my cabin, I am going to pay an extra $20-$40 a day just in rm service charges with gratuity added? So for a transatlantic, I will add say an additional $350-400 to my bottom line? Ridiculous. :o

Well you can cruise Royal on a TA for something like $1,000 PP. I think Crystal is higher. But I could be wrong. ;)

John, who finds it difficult to believe very many people will switch from Royal to Crystal because of room service fees.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how do I turn off notifications for this (what has officially turned into a generic RANT thread)?

MODS this thread should be closed!

I'm sorry our fun is bothering you, thanks Bob for the user guide. :D

Also, you can flag the post and tell the mods direct (probably what happened to the TP thread) without bothering the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Edited by John&LaLa

Not trying to hijack the post but I never seriously considered how much food goes off the ship in port. In Cozumel docked with the Disney Wonder, I grab our beach bag and head off the ship. The police stop me, tell me to put down the bag. The dog sniffs it and to my horror hits on it. I'm panicking because the bag was always monitored except in our room. He asks, "Do you have any food?" No. "Are you sure?" Yes, I took an apple out of it this morning. He points me to another inspector. Bags and bags of food were there that had been confiscated. :o

They say it's about bugs and things, but I thing the food check in Cozumel is about increasing revenue for the local merchants. I mean, is there an agriculture industry on Cozumel?

I am booked for Navigator april 2018 with a large balcony and I could conceivably see my family of 3 ordering a big dinner once to have outside just for a change of pace because, frankly, the menu does look somewhat improved. Although by then prices may increase or go a la carte. Have to see how far I am from the WJ again....

MODS this thread should be closed!

Rather than close the thread that others seem to still want to post to how about you unsubscribe and then just pretend that it isn't here.

Nelson just phoned me! There's 10 minutes of my life I wont get back! They do "value feedback and loyalty" apparently. I told him that my loyalty has gone. I do feel that the choices and quality will be better - and I agree they can charge what they want. But trying to get him to see my point of view i.e. that I have paid in full (as far as I am concerned) for what was offered at my time of purchase - well I might as well have been talking in Martian or something. Like I said I am not interested in $8 - its like what, half a mudslide or something?

Just waiting till the "enhanced" buffet entrance line is introduced!

Oh, Hello Nelson if you are reading this!!!!

I got a call today too. Not sure if it was the same guy. I basically told him the same thing you did-I understand the reasons they did it (food waste); I am just mad about the implementation-so close to final pay,ent. He said we will not be compensated for it from his end but everyone who pitched a fit will be "taken care of" on board-pretty vague. I took it to mean if we order and complain we may get a fee reversal-probably not worth the time to stand in line to complain. My one point to him was the fact that if it wasn't for cruise critic, I would be boarding the ship this Sunday with absolutely no knowledge of the change. Said he would make sure boss man understood my concerns. He was very polite-you can tell he'd been through it before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got a call today too. Not sure if it was the same guy. I basically told him the same thing you did-I understand the reasons they did it (food waste); I am just mad about the implementation-so close to final pay,ent. He said we will not be compensated for it from his end but everyone who pitched a fit will be "taken care of" on board-pretty vague. I took it to mean if we order and complain we may get a fee reversal-probably not worth the time to stand in line to complain. My one point to him was the fact that if it wasn't for cruise critic, I would be boarding the ship this Sunday with absolutely no knowledge of the change. Said he would make sure boss man understood my concerns. He was very polite-you can tell he'd been through it before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they all go by Nelson, it's easier that way. ;p

So if a guest gets ill, or twists an ankle, or (like me) is an author on deadline and spending quiet time working in my cabin, I am going to pay an extra $20-$40 a day just in rm service charges with gratuity added? So for a transatlantic, I will add say an additional $350-400 to my bottom line? Ridiculous. :o

With people ordering room service 3-5 times a day, I can understand why they added a charge!

No one here has any inside information that would substantiate that assumption. Rather, all we can say is that they are not going to use unsolicited, non-normalized customer feedback to run their business. And that's just smart business practice. The reason why you survey guests and rely on that market research rather than unsolicited complaining is that the unsolicited complaining may misrepresent the reality. It may overstate the extent and depth of dissatisfaction because only those dissatisfied are providing feedback. It is well understood that folks who are unhappy will express their unhappiness an order of magnitude more than those who are happy will express their happiness. Scientific surveys, with normalized sampling of the target demographics, is the only sound way to factor customer input into running a business.

That's not what The_Big_M indicated. (I also don't recall seeing "Free Room Service" specifically as part of the list of stated inclusions when I booked a FOS cruise recently.)

There's no comparison between what Justice Scalia was talking about and this, and I believe Justice Scalia would say so himself if he could speak from the grave. This is not bogus, but rather it is just bad new for consumers.

19ff9b7ef0db97f6196bce9289cc7f3c.jpg

The heading at the top says "fine dining included in your cruise fare"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The heading at the top says "fine dining included in your cruise fare"
There you go then; that's what you can use to sue the travel agent in the UK and Australia.

Though it also includes the dining room for which gratuities are additional. Why wouldn't the superior consumer protections in the UK and Australia have an issue with that too?

I should have been complaining for years.
If your cruise is covered by such superior consumer protections, surely.

So in the end, who's going to stand up for themselves and sue? Perhaps it would be best to start a new thread to let us follow the progress of the lawsuit.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

There you go then; that's what you can use to sue the travel agent in the UK and Australia.

Though it also includes the dining room for which gratuities are additional. Why wouldn't the superior consumer protections in the UK and Australia have an issue with that too?

If your cruise is covered by such superior consumer protections, surely.

So in the end, who's going to stand up for themselves and sue? Perhaps it would be best to start a new thread to let us follow the progress of the lawsuit.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Suing and complaining are quite different.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Suing and complaining are quite different.
Like flying a jet and throwing paper airplanes are different.

Have just been told I will lose my deposit of £1500 or over $2000 as we will be unable to travel due to my daughter being pregnant as they will lnot let a baby on board under six months they said they would let me rebook I would have to pay a premium price about over £3000 more than what is on the website

Your travel insurance will cover this.