$7.95 Room Service Charge

Limiting yourself to just one kind of anything is never good. It makes you captive to the limitation instead of the limitation serving you.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Agreed. Unforunately, until my last child turns 3 we were limited to RCI or DCL as we needed a nursery. Thankfully that ends soon and the sky is the limit. 😀

So, this thread continues.....

Some people have legitimate claims to be waived the fee – people with disabilities, particularly if travelling alone or at times alone, single parents trying to settle their kids, people who have already paid for a service that has now changed, people who become ill whilst on board. It does appear that RCI is responding to at least some of these claims and hopefully responds to all affected and any others with special circumstances.

Some people are demanding no change based on history and I can understand and have some sympathy for those people. However, everything changes as businesses have to trade off services and cost and respond to the service provided by competitors. Yes, if you are so angry about the change, see what you can get elsewhere as is your right.

Some people suggest that everyone should get the same service regardless of what they pay. Really??? So people who pay more should subsidise those who pay less? That doesn't sound like a winning business...... If RCI did this, the high payers would go elsewhere and the costs for everyone would go up.

Some people are suggesting ways to protest that involve wasting large amounts of food (and thus costing RCI and ultimately customers and the environment). Do people really think this is an ethical and decent thing to do? I understand protest but.....

@lucymorgan - I do get your point on the environmental part of wasting food as part of the order, but it's about the only way I can see to make any sort of protest gesture. Open to other suggestions, other than just putting up with ...
It wouldn't even be a protest gesture since it wouldn't be interpreted as anything other than more waste.

A protest gesture would be switching to another cruise line that doesn't have a charge.

@lucymorgan - I do get your point on the environmental part of wasting food as part of the order, but it's about the only way I can see to make any sort of protest gesture. Open to other suggestions, other than just putting up with ...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

@Davebhoy ... I don't have many suggestions other than to be loud, post and debate on social media, move to another line.

I suspect that RCI would be quite comfortable with losing customers that cost them (and the environment) a lot of money through ordering excessive amounts of room service and may even lead them to add charges per item - making it worse for everyone.

For those who complain about wasted food and how paying for room service would reduce waste. Should watch the amount of waste in the Windjammer. Much more than room service could cause. The argument that room service is wasteful holds no validity when compared to the Windjammer.

Rather, the valid concern about waste from free room service lends credence to concerns about waste from the way the Windjammer operates.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

For those who complain about wasted food and how paying for room service would reduce waste. Should watch the amount of waste in the Windjammer. Much more than room service could cause. The argument that room service is wasteful holds no validity when compared to the Windjammer.

Normal amounts of room service isn't wasteful but when people deliberately order much more than they need to make a point I think it is wasteful just as taking more than you need in windjammer is wasteful. In fact I think many people in the windjammer take too much because they are so excited by the variety. I can understand this but deliberately ordering extreme amounts of room service when you know you are going to waste it is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really wouldn't consider the "wasted" food is that big of an issue, I heard from CCL and I assume the same for RCI that food leftovers are discarded into the ocean, which meant they are fed to the fishes. If this is indeed the case, the only waste is that human were not able to eat them, but the fishes eat them instead. No a big deal in my book. Just waste RCI money I suppose?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a strange argument though. Much of the societal cost of food waste is the ENERGY associated with cultivating food, fertilizing crops, transporting food, refrigeration, cooking, etc. The fish are better off without all that.

People will always think that their reason for ordering room service should negate the charge. Allowing certain individuals to order without charge will just cause chaos. Can you imagine the queue at Guest Services when all these people are complaining about the charge on their accounts.

I hope this means they're improving their menu for the fee part of the room service. I really wouldn't care to spend $7.95 for their existing menu. But add things like waffles and eggs benedict, it may be worth the extra cost.

They need to cease all those new ship builds. I've seen cutback w/ every new ship they bring out.

I think if you have to pay for room service, people would have a tendency to order more (to get their money's worth) than if it were free.

Royal Caribbean also has the habit of putting each separate item on it's own plate, instead of plating together. They've been known to bring four trays, vs. only one large one on HAL for the same type of order.

In 16 nights, I ran a bill of 120 dollars because I made some phone calls home, bought some internet time, bought a couple shirts, and bought a couple drinks in the lounge. My typical bill for 16 nights on a cruise ship due to gratuities ranges between 1,000-1,500.

This is meaningless without context, how much was the total for each trip?

@Davebhoy ... I don't have many suggestions other than to be loud, post and debate on social media, move to another line.

I suspect that RCI would be quite comfortable with losing customers that cost them (and the environment) a lot of money through ordering excessive amounts of room service and may even lead them to add charges per item - making it worse for everyone.

Happy to discuss on social media (obviously) but unless RCI offer more than a stock response, it's pointless, really.

Changing lines isn't a problem - never been blindly brand loyal and will go were the best deal is. My issue here is that the change has been made after taking my non-refundable cash, so only option left is to get my money's worth.

Does that include tip? I didn't see it on the menu.

If I use it, we will make it worth it and not order just one thing. We will order only what we will eat, but make it worth paying the service charge. There are some decent items on the menu. The irritating thing is that I wasn't made aware of this change at the time I booked. There should have been some kind of alert to the change and the effective date. I hope they waive the fee for all disabled people. I am not disabled, but I do think there should be a free food delivery option for people who are.

Does that include tip? I didn't see it on the menu.

I hope they waive the fee for all disabled people. I am not disabled, but I do think there should be a free food delivery option for people who are.

Who determines who is disabled ? Lots of people have disabilities that do not require a disabled cabin but they are disabled .I have COPD and I am disabled but cruise in a regular cabin . Should I be given free room service ? How about all the people with bad arthritis or recovering from Cancer . To give some disabled people free room service and not all is discriminatory .