Question re American Airlines Upgrade

helen haywood

I booked an American Airlines flight from BCN to MIA via Celebrity/Royal's Choice Air program. I have done this many times before but never with American. In the past, after booking and paying for the flight all I needed to do was call Delta or Alitalia and get my seat assignments and the carrier's record number for the reservation.

However, upon calling American I was informed that as I had not booked directly with them I would have to pay a $25 per person fee to select my seats. I had no choice but to do so as I didn't want my husband and me to be at opposite ends of the airplane. However, then I was told the only two seats on the side aisles was the last row. (This is for a flight on May 14, 2015.) Not looking good. But again, for a surcharge, $129 per person I could upgrade to Main Cabin Extra seats. Feeling over a barrel I paid for the upgrade. (And vowed never to fly American Airlines again and that was before my subsequent problems...) I was told that an email receipt would be sent to me in 2 to 24 hours confirming this upgrade.

When two days had gone by and no email I called American. Of course it was not possible to speak to anyone and I had to leave my number for a call back. When I finally did speak to an agent she said an email had been sent and verified the email address. Turns out they had misspelled "gmail." So she was to correct that and send me the email.

When another two days went by and I had not received an email I called again. Had to leave my number for a call back. Got one only to be disconnected. Left another call back request. This time the agent said the misspelling had not been corrected and she would handle it.

Of course I have not gotten the email yet. My question (finally!) is: Should I continue to try to get American to send me the receipt confirmation? The only reason I wanted it (obviously, also because American said I would get it) is I have fears of showing up at BCN and not having the seats I paid to upgrade to.

Has anyone paid for an upgrade and had any problems upon check-in?

And further worrying is that every time I go to American's website it says I have no reservations. Then I put in my record number and voila it appears.

And further worrying is that every time I go to American's website it says I have no reservations. Then I put in my record number and voila it appears.
Quick question....how were you expecting it to be found without the locator?

And a further question....once you do see your reservation, does it show you in MCE? It it does, you are there. If not, then you have an issue.

Edited by FlyerTalker

Well, on Delta's website, once I log in it automatically shows my reservations. Same way Celebrity's site does. In this case when I log in American tells me I have no reservations.

With United, if I book outside their website, I need to explicitly add it to my MP account before the poor little thing remembers the reservation.

Maybe something similar for AA?

Edited by CantanaLobo

Well, on Delta's website, once I log in it automatically shows my reservations. Same way Celebrity's site does. In this case when I log in American tells me I have no reservations.

Interesting. When I book a cruise with RC or Celebrity, I have to log in and add the booking number for the cruise. THEN once I've done that, it will show each time I log in.

You may have a reservation (a "placeholder" for seats on certain flights) but not an actual ticket yet. It often works very differently through the cruiseline vs. directly with the airline. The record locator (6 letter/number combination) does not mean a ticket has been purchased. The cruiseline air department probably bought seats in bulk long ago (aka "specially negotiated fares"), they own that inventory (not the airline), and it will be assigned to you closer to your travel date; 45 down to 14 days in advance seems to be the sweet spot.

Do you have a ticket number? Until you have a ticket, the airline tries to provide the best seat selections for their customers first. Of course paying the MCE upcharge changes that game.

Read the sticky on cruiseline tickets, to better understand what may be your situation. FYI, airline industry experts say an upcoming trend will make seat assignments, priority boarding/ security, access to premium seats, etc. unavailable unless the ticket was purchased directly through the airline or you have premium FF status.

Don't call AA til next week. As you've seen on the news, they are battling massive weather cancellations at DFW. Leave their phone lines free for passengers urgently needing help. Also you will be on hold for a long time and the agent won't have much time to spend on your issue.

Edited by kenish

I have only the record locator "number." (All letters.) I haven't called them back since my third attempt on Friday. I see the mess in TX. Yikes. Nine hours on the tarmac.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see when I check in for the flight if I have the seats I paid to upgrade to. Or wait until closer to the flight.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have only the record locator "number." (All letters.) I haven't called them back since my third attempt on Friday. I see the mess in TX. Yikes. Nine hours on the tarmac.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see when I check in for the flight if I have the seats I paid to upgrade to. Or wait until closer to the flight.

Try the record locator again on aa.com and see what comes up.

I just looked on the seat map for your flight and there is plenty of availability in the MCE sections.

When I put in my record locator number and look at seats there is only one aisle seat available and only two in the last row of the MCE section. That leads me to believe, perhaps, that those are the only seats they will let someone who booked through a second party have. I know when the seat map came up on the Choice Air site there was plenty of availability in the back regular section yet when the Choice Air site told me the airline had rejected my seat choices and I called American (10 minutes later) I was told the only seats on the side aisles were the last row.

Oh well, live and learn.

When I put in my record locator number and look at seats there is only one aisle seat available and only two in the last row of the MCE section. That leads me to believe, perhaps, that those are the only seats they will let someone who booked through a second party have. I know when the seat map came up on the Choice Air site there was plenty of availability in the back regular section yet when the Choice Air site told me the airline had rejected my seat choices and I called American (10 minutes later) I was told the only seats on the side aisles were the last row.

Oh well, live and learn.

I am not sure what you have learned, but I can try and help you if you want. You are asking about MCE seats and not Preferred, correct? The Bulkhead seats are also MCE. Seat Guru might help you evaluate your seat options.

Certain MCE and Preferred seats are reserved for Elite and Full Fare customers. You will see a grey mark when looking at the seat map on aa.com. Perhaps this is what you are experiencing? Unless you have status or are paying full fare you cannot book those seats in advance even if you booked directly with American.

Is the Bulkhead aisle acceptable?

What seats do you currently have booked?

I also suspect if you had gone to aa.com and put in your record locator you may have been able to select non MCE/Preferred seats. Perhaps the $25 charge was because you booked using a third party and needed agent assistance?

If you have a FF number and the flights are on American I would think you should be able to a

see your flight and seats on aa.com now that you have added the flight.

Good luck and let me know if you want to know exactly what MCE seats are available for non Elite or less than full fare.

Edited by jagoffee

Nine hours was definitely the exception, but it's what made the news. Most of us just had really, really crappy weekends trying to get home ;)

But, the passengers could have gotten off the plane, and most if them did. Can't imagine why anyone stayed onboard.

Edited by 6rugrats

I am not sure what you have learned, but I can try and help you if you want. You are asking about MCE seats and not Preferred, correct? The Bulkhead seats are also MCE. Seat Guru might help you evaluate your seat options.

Certain MCE and Preferred seats are reserved for Elite and Full Fare customers. You will see a grey mark when looking at the seat map on aa.com. Perhaps this is what you are experiencing? Unless you have status or are paying full fare you cannot book those seats in advance even if you booked directly with American.

Is the Bulkhead aisle acceptable?

What seats do you currently have booked?

I also suspect if you had gone to aa.com and put in your record locator you may have been able to select non MCE/Preferred seats. Perhaps the $25 charge was because you booked using a third party and needed agent assistance?

If you have a FF number and the flights are on American I would think you should be able to a

see your flight and seats on aa.com now that you have added the flight.

Good luck and let me know if you want to know exactly what MCE seats are available for non Elite or less than full fare.

I do see grey seats with an "X" through them. Perhaps these are the ones AA reserves, as you mentioned. I currently have seat 12C and 13C.

I was told by the AA rep on the phone that the $25 pp charge was because I did not book directly with them. I originally had the bulkhead seats, but once I looked them up on Seatguru I found I was paying to upgrade to a seat that had limited leg room (my husband is 6'4"), only partial recline and tended to be cold. I then went to the AA site, entered my locator number after AA told me I had no reservations, and changed my seats to 12 and 13C. Those are right close to the galley and the WC but I figured that was better than the bulkhead restrictions. If you see other MCE seats that would be available to someone like me who purchased a cheaper seat via Choice Air, I would be interested; thank you.

All I really wanted was the email receipt AA told me I would get. I like to have all my paperwork lined up in case something doesn't work out right. In this case I see the charges on my cc but I wouldn't be able to show that to a gate agent to prove I purchased an upgrade. Probably nothing to worry about; I do check my reservation periodically to make sure the flight times haven't changed...or my seat assignments.

Again, thank you all for your help. I'm happy to have learned something that will make booking in the future easier.

Edited by helen haywood

I do see grey seats with an "X" through them. Perhaps these are the ones AA reserves, as you mentioned. I currently have seat 12C and 13C.

I was told by the AA rep on the phone that the $25 pp charge was because I did not book directly with them. I originally had the bulkhead seats, but once I looked them up on Seatguru I found I was paying to upgrade to a seat that had limited leg room (my husband is 6'4"), only partial recline and tended to be cold. I then went to the AA site, entered my locator number after AA told me I had no reservations, and changed my seats to 12 and 13C. Those are right close to the galley and the WC but I figured that was better than the bulkhead restrictions. If you see other MCE seats that would be available to someone like me who purchased a cheaper seat via Choice Air, I would be interested; thank you.

All I really wanted was the email receipt AA told me I would get. I like to have all my paperwork lined up in case something doesn't work out right. In this case I see the charges on my cc but I wouldn't be able to show that to a gate agent to prove I purchased an upgrade. Probably nothing to worry about; I do check my reservation periodically to make sure the flight times haven't changed...or my seat assignments.

Again, thank you all for your help. I'm happy to have learned something that will make booking in the future easier.

The only other option is 13 G (which is no different than yours) and the bulkhead seats. The grey seats with the X are already booked by someone else. The red ones with the grey in the corner are also MCE seats, but as I said they are reserved for Elite and full fare customers. Since you can change to other MCE seats then it must be on your record.

Do you have a FF account with AA? If not you should get one and then your trip should be under My Trips on AA.com. It should show your seat assignments and you can print it out. I would also think you can call AA and they will send you a confirmation e mail.

I was told by the AA rep on the phone that the $25 pp charge was because I did not book directly with them. I originally had the bulkhead seats, but once I looked them up on Seatguru I found I was paying to upgrade to a seat that had limited leg room (my husband is 6'4"), only partial recline and tended to be cold. I then went to the AA site, entered my locator number after AA told me I had no reservations, and changed my seats to 12 and 13C.

All I really wanted was the email receipt AA told me I would get. I like to have all my paperwork lined up in case something doesn't work out right. In this case I see the charges on my cc but I wouldn't be able to show that to a gate agent to prove I purchased an upgrade.

Please re-read my previous post. From what you've recounted, it's important to understand that all you have is a reservation for those flights. You aren't confirmed onto those flights until Cruise Air tickets your travel. All your comments are consistent with this. (Let us know if you actually have ticket numbers, it sounded like you only have a PNR).

For a variety of reasons, Cruise Air could ticket you onto totally different flights, or even airlines...there's a current thread where the reservation was changed prior to ticketing, and the connection at AMS went from very long to very tight. Realistically I think most itineraries don't change when Cruise Air tickets them.

You have purchased MCE upgrades that AA will apply *if and when* you have tickets on those specific flights. If that happens, you're set.

Hope this helps, you've done about all you can until you're ticketed and obtain actual ticket numbers as confirmation.

Thanks again for everyone's help. To answer jagoffee, yes, I have an AA FF number but, no, it never shows my reservation until I put it in manually. Yes, to others, I agree this is because I don't really actually have the ticket yet due to booking thru Choice Air. And the suggestion that I should be able to call AA and they will send me an email...that's what started my post. I've called them three times and each time I was told I would get an email....that never comes. I suspect that is because I fall into some grey area where, although I purchased the upgrade and therefore do exist...I don't actually have a real ticket yet so they can't acknowledge me....if that makes sense.

I'm just going to try calling again in a few days.... I'm not worried; I've booked with Choice Air before...I'm sure I'll get home from BCN somehow. And its a non-stop flight so that's one less thing to worry about...

I think the $25 fee was simply for using an agent on the phone. Yes, nothing else you can do until your actual ticket is issued.

If I remember, you want a receipt for your seat upgrade? Even if you never get the email for which you are waiting, you have this with details on your credit card statements, and when your ticket is issued, you should have an e receipt that you can access online.

Thanks again for everyone's help. To answer jagoffee, yes, I have an AA FF number but, no, it never shows my reservation until I put it in manually. Yes, to others, I agree this is because I don't really actually have the ticket yet due to booking thru Choice Air. And the suggestion that I should be able to call AA and they will send me an email...that's what started my post. I've called them three times and each time I was told I would get an email....that never comes. I suspect that is because I fall into some grey area where, although I purchased the upgrade and therefore do exist...I don't actually have a real ticket yet so they can't acknowledge me....if that makes sense.

I'm just going to try calling again in a few days.... I'm not worried; I've booked with Choice Air before...I'm sure I'll get home from BCN somehow. And its a non-stop flight so that's one less thing to worry about...

Sounds logical. The only flights that are not "remembered" for me are the flights I have booked on partner airlines or US Air. I can see them each time, but only if I put in the information. My AA flights are saved under My Trips.

I have never used choice air, but I am surprised that you can purchase an MCE without actually having to pay for the ticket. Or as been stated perhaps you have paid, but it has not actually been ticketed. Of course since I have AA status I do not have to pay. I have learned something as well.

Have you actually paid for the ticket. Is it refundable?

Yes, I have already paid for the ticket. Already seen it posted on my credit card and already got invoice from Choice Air. It is not refundable; I've paid in full for the cruise so I paid for the air after that.

In reference to the poster who said I had the details on my credit card...all it says is a charge from AA. There is no identifying info. Sort of like if you see a charge from Celebrity, you don't know which cruise it is associated with. You'd have to call Celebrity to find out. I don't think a gate agent is going to take a charge from my statement of February to give me an upgrade in May if there were to be a snafu.

For the poster unfamiliar with Choice Air, you can also book a flight without paying...and wait and pay when you make final payment for the cruise. If you want to lock in a rate.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

I always print out the Airline Generated itinerary with the Ticket# and PNR Confirmation#. My routine is as follows no matter how I book.

1. Book with Cruise Line, Airline Website etc.

2. Call the Customer Service and ask if it has been ticketed# Do they see the flights I was promised.

3. Book Seats

4. Add Frequent Flier #

5. Add any special requests.

6. Have agent e-mail receipt(if it has been ticketed if not I will call back the next day).

The day before travel. I call up the airline again but confirm everything along with the Ticket# etc.

I then print out my boarding pass 24 hours before.

My experience booking directly with AA has been that the email won't come until you're ticketed. However, you should be able to go into your reservation, scroll down a little bit and have your itinerary emailed to you. After you click on "email itinerary," you'll see the following:

"The emailed itinerary will include the following details: departure and arrival flight numbers, cities, dates, times, and booking codes. Additionally, the email will include the names of passengers travelling with their respective cabin and seat assignments."

And I wouldn't blame this on American - it's just life when you book through a third party. I don't know why they charged you $25 just to talk to the agent, perhaps because you weren't ticketed yet and s/he was confused about that point.

Hope that helps, and have a great trip!

I My routine is as follows no matter how I book.

1. Book with Cruise Line, Airline Website etc.

2. Call the Customer Service and ask if it has been ticketed# Do they see the flights I was promised.

3. Book Seats

4. Add Frequent Flier #

5. Add any special requests.

6. Have agent e-mail receipt(if it has been ticketed if not I will call back the next day).

The day before travel. I call up the airline again but confirm everything along with the Ticket# etc.

I understand doing all of these things if you book cruise air and don't know if you've actually been ticketed or not etc., but why in the world do you make a separate call to do all of this if you booked via the airline website? :confused:

I typically fly Delta, and when I book on their website, I can book seats and add my frequent flyer number and any special requests right there on the website when I book. I also get an email confirmation & receipt automatically without having to request one.

Likewise, the day before you should be able to check those things online; no need to make a call.

I understand doing all of these things if you book cruise air and don't know if you've actually been ticketed or not etc., but why in the world do you make a separate call to do all of this if you booked via the airline website? :confused:

I typically fly Delta, and when I book on their website, I can book seats and add my frequent flyer number and any special requests right there on the website when I book. I also get an email confirmation & receipt automatically without having to request one.

Likewise, the day before you should be able to check those things online; no need to make a call.

I agree. Even when I book with a third party, like Expedia or CTrip (rare, but I do it sometimes), it's pretty easy to see, through the airlines webpage itself, actual ticket numbers. If I have any questions, I usually get in touch with the airline on Twitter - I sometimes feel like I am on a first name basis with the AA Twitter team, and they're fantastic.

Of course, if I really need to call, I will. But it's rare.

Edited by Zach1213