Morally..... Aft disabled balcony on Getaway

Aunu

Theres an aft disabled balcony available for the cruise im booked on and was thinking about switching. Morally i would feel bad taking it because I don't need it. Its a really big room with a big balcony.

What would you do? :(:(:(

Edited by Aunu

Theres an aft disabled balcony available for the cruise im booked on and was thinking about switching. Morally i would feel bad taking it because I don't need it. Its a really big room with a big balcony.

I once asked my PCC the same question, and the reply was that I could book it, but IF somebody with special needs wanted to book and there was not many HC cabins left available, we might get moved to a regular balcony cabin at a later time. So we didn't do it. And like you say - there is also a moral side of it as well. These cabins are large in size for a reason....

Edited by TrumpyNor

Would you take a handicap parking spot because it was closer to the store? I would not take the room. If you do more searches on the topic you will see that while the room is bigger it has several disadvantages due to the handicap accessibility.

Would you take a handicap parking spot because it was closer to the store? I would not take the room. If you do more searches on the topic you will see that while the room is bigger it has several disadvantages due to the handicap accessibility.

I absolutely would NOT take a handicapped spot at a store. Guess that settles it. Thanks! :)

Great analogy!

Bad analogy. NCL will sell that aft balcony anyway if no disabled cruiser needs it. So why not to the OP?

Remember these staterooms are designed for HC individuals. You'll have a bigger room, but less furniture and storage. No shelves below the sink in the bathtub. A low toilet. The shower will flood every time because there is no step into it.

Also, you'd be a horrible person. It's not just that you might be moved. What if a HC individual wanted to sail, but all the HC rooms were taken? More than likely they'll pass on the cruise. So you're stealing the opportunity from them to enjoy the cruise.

Stick with your regular stateroom and be happy. If you want a larger balcony, pay for it.

Remember these staterooms are designed for HC individuals. You'll have a bigger room, but less furniture and storage. No shelves below the sink in the bathtub. A low toilet. The shower will flood every time because there is no step into it.

Also, you'd be a horrible person. It's not just that you might be moved. What if a HC individual wanted to sail, but all the HC rooms were taken? More than likely they'll pass on the cruise. So you're stealing the opportunity from them to enjoy the cruise.

Stick with your regular stateroom and be happy. If you want a larger balcony, pay for it.

I believe that the OP stated already that they were not going to take it...so whats up with the nastiness calling the OP a horrible person. It was a question for advice and she got her answer. No need for your "high horse" answer.

I believe that the OP stated already that they were not going to take it...so whats up with the nastiness calling the OP a horrible person. It was a question for advice and she got her answer. No need for your "high horse" answer.

I consider people like him trolls.... I've learned not to respond to them. :) They are usually just not happy with life and like to get other people riled up. I know im not a horrible person so what he says honestly doesn't matter.

I didn't call the OP a horrible person. I said they WOULD be if they took the room. Just one man's opinion.

Being a disabled person who need a wheelchair accessible room, and I have booked an aft mini suit on Getaway next February. I usually book at least 1 yr out in order to get a room. I believe that they should hold all HC rooms until a certain time before the cruise, then they have to fill the ship by offering upgrades and deals. Most HC people know they have to plan out their lives differently and would never be able to book a last minute cruise deal. The room I book there are only 2 in that category so they sell out fast. NCL says they will move somebody if they need the room, ( I doubt it) once it is out of there inventory they do not care. I am thankful that the OP asked that they are thinking it could be wrong.

We were "upgraded" to one of those cabins on the Epic. We had a regular balcony initially, but then there was a really good price drop after final payment. I called just to see if there was anything better or OBC or whatever. They gave us the accessible room, told us the same thing, if someone needed, etc. We were fine with that.

It was really big compared to a regular room, obviously. But I didn't like the automatic opening/closing of the door, the bathroom/shower combo.

The balcony itself was great though!

Here's been my experience with these cabins

First NCL cruise, we were in a balcony, and the people across from us were in a handicapped inside. They booked a gty, and that is what they were assigned. First day of cruise, NCL came and asked them to move, and they made a HUGE disgusting stink about it, how they had completely unpacked (they had loads of stuff too, I saw from my room they had probably enough snacks and soda to feed an army)

NCL offered them OBC and an upgrade to a balcony, and they REFUSED to take it, so they stayed and idk what happened to the poor handicapped people who needed it

Last year on Getaway, we booked an inside GTY and got assigned a handicapped inside. Initially, I was like "this feels wrong" but I got over it. If asked to move, my husband and I would do so gladly. We were not asked to move and it was a great cabin.

I actually DO have a "handicap" myself and could get the stateroom if I wanted, but I don't really use my handicap "card" (deaf in one ear)

So my advice, book the cabin if they are letting you book it. If asked to move for a handicapped person, simply graciously move. There's nothing horrible or wrong about taking a cabin they are offering to you or anyone looking to book, but if they end up needing it for an unforeseen guest who really does need it, just be nice and give it up. Not giving it up if asked would be the only way you are being a "terrible person"

Edited by aubreyc1988

My answer

"I wouldn't take it"

And I have a physical problem.

Here's been my experience with these cabins

First NCL cruise, we were in a balcony, and the people across from us were in a handicapped inside. They booked a gty, and that is what they were assigned. First day of cruise, NCL came and asked them to move, and they made a HUGE disgusting stink about it, how they had completely unpacked (they had loads of stuff too, I saw from my room they had probably enough snacks and soda to feed an army)

NCL offered them OBC and an upgrade to a balcony, and they REFUSED to take it, so they stayed and idk what happened to the poor handicapped people who needed it

Last year on Getaway, we booked an inside GTY and got assigned a handicapped inside. Initially, I was like "this feels wrong" but I got over it. If asked to move, my husband and I would do so gladly. We were not asked to move and it was a great cabin.

I actually DO have a "handicap" myself and could get the stateroom if I wanted, but I don't really use my handicap "card" (deaf in one ear)

So my advice, book the cabin if they are letting you book it. If asked to move for a handicapped person, simply graciously move. There's nothing horrible or wrong about taking a cabin they are offering to you or anyone looking to book, but if they end up needing it for an unforeseen guest who really does need it, just be nice and give it up. Not giving it up if asked would be the only way you are being a "terrible person"

Except that if someone who really needs that room, and they're all booked because people "will just move if needed", the odds of that person actually booking the cruise they want are slim. They'll just book something else with an available HC room.

Except that if someone who really needs that room, and they're all booked because people "will just move if needed", the odds of that person actually booking the cruise they want are slim. They'll just book something else with an available HC room.

cruise lines let those rooms to be booked by general public close to saildates without having proof of disability. So the person booking that room in my opinion is not being "terrible" or doing something "wrong" they are booking a room the cruise line is selling to anyone. But really I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I don't think the OP needs to be too worried about it and I stand by my post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, and I've never seen any way, on any lines site to get waitlisted for a HC.

OP Here.....

I already have an aft balcony so I'm happy with what I have and will stay there. My cruise is 6 months out. I liked the idea of the bigger room and balcony but would certainly not want to take it away from someone who needs it. Im on the 11th deck and am very happy with my room and balcony.