Rotterdam wading pool?

Toad

One poster stated that there was no water in the wading pool, on the Rotterdam. I know that they have had leaking problems ever since they tore out the sea view pool and added the wading pool. Ripping out the sea view pools on the Rotterdam and the Veendam and converting it to a wading pool was an enormous mistake. I wonder who was the genius who came up with that idea ?

One poster stated that there was no water in the wading pool, on the Rotterdam. I know that they have had leaking problems ever since they tore out the sea view pool and added the wading pool. Ripping out the sea view pools on the Rotterdam and the Veendam and converting it to a wading pool was an enormous mistake. I wonder who was the genius who came up with that idea ?

We would reiterate that the aft water area is not a "wading pool" unless you are about the size of a salamander! How can you wade in 4 inches of water? For those with swollen ankles the water (if in the retreat area) would not even cover their ankles!

Hank

We have not been on the Rotterdam for quite a few years. I understand that there is a " "wading" pool in the aft of the ship. Why? Does this mean that there are less people using this area? Have you used it?

It's a swamp that needs to be drained...

We have so rarely seen anyone even use the aft pools on prior cruises. I agree they are lovely to have but we always thought both pools are not overly used. Maybe it was just the itineraries we chose that precluded much outdoor pool use in the first place.

Our Rotterdam experience was similar in the use of this new aft area on all cruises - smokers over in one corner and lots of people enjoying the tables, deck loungers and hot tubs if they are present, or in this case splashing a bit, having drinks and using the ceramic loungers in the "bird bath". People seemed to be having fun with them, taking photos etc. Primarily Dutch on that cruise.

My DW normally "Lives" in the Sea View pool on our Caribbean and south pacific cruises. We are on the Rotterdam for 32 days starting Feb 12 in the Caribbean so I hope that the Lido pool is not too crowded.

Thanks so much Janet :). Appreciate the help. I didn't realize Rotterdam had the new pizza already - awesome :)

The pizza was much improved on our Rotterdam cruise last summer. As noted it is located out at the seaview pool area under the non functioning big screen. I did feel bad for the crew who has to man it on those cold iceland days.....

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20091_zpsnqddwzpb.jpg

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20093_zps9b13ackw.jpg

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20094_zpsxlopodvx.jpg

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20095_zps399tfdlv.jpg

The pizza was much improved on our Rotterdam cruise last summer. As noted it is located out at the seaview pool area under the non functioning big screen. I did feel bad for the crew who has to man it on those cold iceland days.....

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20091_zpsnqddwzpb.jpg

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20093_zps9b13ackw.jpg

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20094_zpsxlopodvx.jpg

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20095_zps399tfdlv.jpg

The last time we were on the Rotterdam was about 4 years ago...and that screen was non-functioning. Wonder if it has ever worked...or was just installed as a piece of art :). Your pizza photos have my mouth watering. We will be on the Rotterdam for a month...next summer, and I am really looking forward to trying the new Pizza place. One of our long time HAL rants has been about the awful pizza in the Lido....so this change makes me smile.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hank- the pizza was made to order and they gave you a buzzer to let you know when it was ready- same as the Dive in. It was convenient and the pizza was thin crust and a notch above what I have seen offered on other ships in the past. They only made a pizza per person- there are no individual slices and I'd say the portion side was that of a dinner plate.

here's a couple more pics I found :) all in the name of research of course.

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20180_zpsnlrgnjbi.jpg

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20181_zps2pga1vbb.jpg

Rotterdam%20Cannon%20182_zpsjpxryskg.jpg

Thanks so much sammy :). That looks like pretty decent pizza. HURRAH :)

I just might share a couple of your pics later with my roll call if you don't mind? ;). You will get full credit of course, since I will be quoting you.

thanks so much for the help :)

Thanks so much sammy :). That looks like pretty decent pizza. HURRAH :)

I just might share a couple of your pics later with my roll call if you don't mind? ;). You will get full credit of course, since I will be quoting you.

thanks so much for the help :)

Absolutely Kazu! The HAL board is amazing for all of the information people take the time to share and I am happy to pay it back.

and I have a boatload of Rotterdam pics-no pun intended so if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Edited by sammygoose
add

Thanks for all the photos. I am hoping that the pizza makes up for the ridiculous looking "Retreat"....... We will be in the Caribbean and I am thinking the inside pool could be crowded or taken over by chair "hogs". Hope not, but I am sure it will be great anyway!

We would reiterate that the aft water area is not a "wading pool" unless you are about the size of a salamander! How can you wade in 4 inches of water? For those with swollen ankles the water (if in the retreat area) would not even cover their ankles!

Hank

Hank, you are cracking me up, a salamander, really, too funny.

On our recent Rotterdam cruise, the "retreat" had no water on days when there was even the slightest bit of wind...because at those times the shallow water sloshed around and blew all over the aft deck. Consequently, they drained it..

There was water for perhaps half our cruise.

The whole thing is a mess. It takes up way too much space on the aft deck. It's ugly... with or without water... and putting that ship on the Caribbean run out of Tampa with no functioning sea-view pool is a terrible idea.

Edited by DFD1

Absolutely Kazu! The HAL board is amazing for all of the information people take the time to share and I am happy to pay it back.

and I have a boatload of Rotterdam pics-no pun intended so if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks sammy :)

On our recent Rotterdam cruise, the "retreat" had no water on days when there was even the slightest bit of wind...because at those times the shallow water sloshed around and blew all over the aft deck. Consequently, they drained it..

There was water for perhaps half our cruise.

The whole thing is a mess. It takes up way too much space on the aft deck. It's ugly... with or without water... and putting that ship on the Caribbean run out of Tampa with no functioning sea-view pool is a terrible idea.

I never thought about the wind blowing the water around. Thanks for that information.

Do agree -- that aft retreat sounds terrible.

We were on the Rotterdam for 35 days right after the retreat was added. Yes, there were problems. A couple of friends were flooded out below.

I guess I'm the dissenting voice... I like the retreat. I like stretching out on a lounger, dangling my fingers in the water and reading or visiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Rotterdam for 35 days right after the retreat was added. Yes, there were problems. A couple of friends were flooded out below.

I guess I'm the dissenting voice... I like the retreat. I like stretching out on a lounger, dangling my fingers in the water and reading or visiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lunch with a hotel manger once mentioned what negligent "engineering" had gone into that first design, that predictably allowed water to leak out with either wind or the ship's motion - can't remember which.

I assume they corrected this or merely lowered the original water level, but there were certainly real flooding stories as a result of early mistaken design.

We saw passengers enjoying this space too once they figured out it was meant to be used and not just looked at. Not all bad.