Is Cats REALLY 2 1/2 hours long ???

Shippy

Just saw somewhere where Cats on the Oasis is 2 1/2 hours long. That would be tough to sit through. I was able to persuade my husband to see HairSpray last year on Oasis & Chicago on Allure but do not remember them being that long.

Anyone see that show yet ? Worth staying the whole time ??

Having not seen it on the ship yet - I can't tell you that. However, having seen it several times on and off Broadway - the full play is that long with an intermission. The only way they could make it shorter would be to cut out quite a bit - which then makes the play non-sensical! lol

I believe it is worth seeing the whole thing - if it is done well - it is a wonderful show.

I hope you see it and enjoy it!

It is 2 1/2 hours long (but it seems so much longer) with an intermission about 1/2 way through. Plenty of people left at intermission. Someone, not me, posted on another thread that they thought about 75% of the people left at intermission for the 3rd and final showing. We went to the 1st showing and about 25-30% of the people did not return to the balcony section after the intermission.

The set is amazing as were the costumes but it is a difficult story to follow if you did not already know the story. People either loved it or hated it. We were the latter.

I a not sure how well Cats will be perceived by many as it really does not have a story to follow and it is a slower pace than most of the entertainment offered on cruises. Time will tell how well it will be received. The Cats fans certainly loved it but just as many saw it as boring.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

Saw it on the TA on the first night the did it for an audience. They did it with piano only as the full orchestra was not ready.

Thoughts:

Yes, it is that long.

Many people left after the intermission.

If you want a great experience and are cat people, sit in one of the front rows near the aisles.

We got seats in the balcony section yet could watch it through the Iphone cameras of those in front of us.

Made much more sense to me after reading about it on the internet.

DW did not allow me to bring the white kitty home with us even after I promise to take care of it.

Edited by tanzer22pilot

Cats ain't short. Seen it three times in London. But time is time whether on land or sea.

What would be cool is if they brought back Starlight Express, but that would take major mods to the theater for the tracks encircling it.

The show is non-sensical no matter how long it is....

Agree. Probably the least favorite musical I ever saw on Broadway, and I saw a few other duds as well, including one that closed a week after opening.

We saw it on the Transatlantic, we went in 30 mins before the first show and had to stand at the back, we easily got a seat after the intermission, it did not seem well received and a lot of the memorable songs are in the second half so you have to persevere. I'm glad I saw it but don't think I would see it if I sailed Oasis again. And yes, it is 2.5 hours long with an intermission.

Cats ain't short. Seen it three times in London. But time is time whether on land or sea.

What would be cool is if they brought back Starlight Express, but that would take major mods to the theater for the tracks encircling it.

I would think Starlight Express would be more family friendly. I saw it in Vegas many years ago, so assume it's a more reasonable length (I also like the music!) I like musical theatre and don't mind spending the time on board. But, for some reason, Cats does not appeal to me. I feel sorry for the performers coming back to an empty theatre (and the people leaving and missing one of the most iconic songs in theatre (at least I think Memories is at the end - saw Cats maybe 30 years ago!!))

I would think Starlight Express would be more family friendly. I saw it in Vegas many years ago, so assume it's a more reasonable length (I also like the music!) I like musical theatre and don't mind spending the time on board. But, for some reason, Cats does not appeal to me. I feel sorry for the performers coming back to an empty theatre (and the people leaving and missing one of the most iconic songs in theatre (at least I think Memories is at the end - saw Cats maybe 30 years ago!!))

Jersey Boys -would have had us staying for the whole show. We didn't come back opening night after intermission. Memories was sung 1st half but not well but I understood better on the 2nd half of the show? Seen it live before, so we heard it sung well then!!

We won't go see it again if on Oasis. It was sad to see the 1/2 empty theater and not better on the last night either when we had a look passing by.

Just saw somewhere where Cats on the Oasis is 2 1/2 hours long. That would be tough to sit through. I was able to persuade my husband to see HairSpray last year on Oasis & Chicago on Allure but do not remember them being that long.

Anyone see that show yet ? Worth staying the whole time ??

Two and a half hours of CATS? :eek:

My god, I'd have to slit my wrists.

Agree. Probably the least favorite musical I ever saw on Broadway, and I saw a few other duds as well, including one that closed a week after opening.

And yet it is one of MY all time favorites! When done well, the music and dancing are amazing. I guess it's one of those shows that you either "get" or not. If you don't get it, you'll hate it. ;)

And yet it is one of MY all time favorites! When done well, the music and dancing are amazing. I guess it's one of those shows that you either "get" or not. If you don't get it, you'll hate it. ;)

I saw it on Broadway, not off. I would hope it was "well done" given the cost of the tickets.