51 min international transfer at SFO?

samchico

I know SFO pretty well. United keeps offering me this option and it's pretty attractive. But, heck, it feels very tight. The flight in is the first flight of the day from Chico and shouldn't be late taking off. It usually gets in a few mins early. We're then flying to Vancouver. I *think*, if we take the shuttle at the gate when we land, we'll avoid having to go through security at SFO (which can be horrendous).

We're flying the day before the cruise and so I suppose the worst that could happen is they bump us to another flight.

Any thoughts will be gratefully appreciated.

TIA Sam

When is your flight?

SFO will have two of its four runways out of service beginning mid-May to September 2014 for FAA mandated updates. SFO is advising 15 minute "plus" delays during this period.

Delays can work for or against you.

Air Canada and United operate in profit sharing joint venture mode between the US and Canada. So there are quite a few flights between the two airlines.

Also the old thing that is different because it is a Canada bound flight is you need to an extra passport check with the gate agent before boarding the flight.

Personally I would go with it as it is the earliest flight of the day even if the connection is tight. If things don't go according to plans this gives you the most options.

Philob, since you know SFO can you please advise me on this: we are flying out of SFO in June to Amsterdam on KLM airlines. Our flight is at 1:55pm. We are regular coach tickets so no special privileges in the lines (unfortunately). I assumed that 3 hours prior for this international flight would be ok, so being there by 10:30am. But now with this new shutting down two runways situation, do you think we should try to get there even earlier? We would be driving to SFO early that morning from the Sacramento area. It shouldn't take more than 2 and a half hours to get to SFO. I am now wondering if we might have to stay overnight at an airport hotel the night before instead, with these new possible delays (?).

Philob, since you know SFO can you please advise me on this: we are flying out of SFO in June to Amsterdam on KLM airlines. Our flight is at 1:55pm. We are regular coach tickets so no special privileges in the lines (unfortunately). I assumed that 3 hours prior for this international flight would be ok, so being there by 10:30am. But now with this new shutting down two runways situation, do you think we should try to get there even earlier? We would be driving to SFO early that morning from the Sacramento area. It shouldn't take more than 2 and a half hours to get to SFO. I am now wondering if we might have to stay overnight at an airport hotel the night before instead, with these new possible delays (?).

Not directed to me, but I will chime in that I cannot see any reason you would need to up your arrival time by car. Your plane won't leave any earlier because of it. If anything, it may mean longer until your plane is in the air, but everything up to the point should not change whatsoever.

Personally I would go with it as it is the earliest flight of the day even if the connection is tight. If things don't go according to plans this gives you the most options.

However, flights into Vancouver are most always full or oversold in season. It isn't likely to be easy, just getting the "next flight".

Hi Zach, thanks that is true, it would seem that the only issue could be our flight being delayed at takeoff. I guess I was thinking that with half the runways shut down that the lines could then double up, like through security, and it might take us longer to get through everything to make our flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Zach, thanks that is true, it would seem that the only issue could be our flight being delayed at takeoff. I guess I was thinking that with half the runways shut down that the lines could then double up, like through security, and it might take us longer to get through everything to make our flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our flight SFO to FRA has been pushed back an hour to accommodate the construction delays. On other threads it was announced they were going a strict scheduling program to help mitigate the congestion caused by peak periods and the construction. So, yes, you may have a bit of a delay getting out, or your flight might be moved slightly to allow smooth flow. Constantly check your itinerary.

Edited by CruiserBruce

My flight from SFO to SEA-TAC ( for June on United ) was just changed . The flight I was on is leaving over an hour later. I called them and had them put me on an earliear flight.

The time I came closest to missing an international flight due to TSA and check-in lines was at SFO. I was at the airport 3 hours ahead of departure and was at the gate only in the nick of time. Huge TSA and passport check lines ( not immigration- preboarding screening). I like to have extra time at SFO and ORD . 51 minutes would make me nervous.

I also know SFO.

The United Domestic Terminal as far as I know has a walkway to the G Concourse where United operates their international flights without going through security. It takes about 10 minutes and you will be at your gate. However 51 minutes is short. I would like to have at least 90 minutes to connect at SFO.

For your KLM flight I suggest arriving 3-4 hours before your flight so there won't be long lines etc.

SFO has a food court located outside of security for both the A concourse and G concourse. Inside the security I like Il Fornaio's Cafe Del Monde, The Firewood Grille is also good. Lori's Diner is a SF main stay so if you arrive early you could eat here as well.

When arriving back to SFO it takes about 45 minutes or so to go through customs but it can take longer depending on how many arrivals they get. Follow the signs to Domestic Connections(There is a transfer desk on the left when you exit Customs where you can leave your bags.

Then you can follow the interior walkway to your terminal or take the escalator up to the AirTrain. I like walking inside to the terminal as when you exit Customs you follow the signs to Connections. If you are staying at SFO you will follow the signs to the Arrivals Hall(Welcome to San Francisco Sign).

For those meeting you can have them park in the International Terminal Garage and walk downstairs to the Arrivals Hall or meet them curbside.

What I do is phone just after landing when we can use our phones as you cannot use cellphones in the Customs Hall. Just be sure to have your Arrivals Declaration Card ready and look for the "US Citizens Booth" with the least amount of people.

I hope this helps

I know SFO pretty well. United keeps offering me this option and it's pretty attractive. But, heck, it feels very tight. The flight in is the first flight of the day from Chico and shouldn't be late taking off. It usually gets in a few mins early. We're then flying to Vancouver. I *think*, if we take the shuttle at the gate when we land, we'll avoid having to go through security at SFO (which can be horrendous).

We're flying the day before the cruise and so I suppose the worst that could happen is they bump us to another flight.

TIA Sam

This is a weird flight you fly south and then come back north. If I were you I would drive the 1 hour or so to Sacramento and fly via Portland or Seattle to Vancouver or look for a Chico-Portland-Vancouver or Chico-Seattle-Vancouver.

See if you could try another routing because SFO does have weather delays.

Just my 2 cents

@ Rocklinmom...Arriving 3 hours before your KLM flight should be okay. Check in at the International Terminal and TSA security are not that bad 10-15 minutes in each, YMMV. IMO the long wait is check in for a domestic flight.

If you're driving in on a week day, remember to account for the morning commute through Sacramento, unless you use the car-pool lanes...but you know that ;)

As others stated check your departure time regularly.

TIA Sam

If United offer that option it shouldn't be a problem but you might have to rush! If you are late, United should put you on the next flight even if it's full. If they offer that connection, it's their problem. I should not book that connection because I should prefer not to rush through the airport.

If United offer that option it shouldn't be a problem but you might have to rush! If you are late, United should put you on the next flight even if it's full. If they offer that connection, it's their problem. I should not book that connection because I should prefer not to rush through the airport.

If you are looking for other options, United flies from Chicago to Vancouver.

WestJet also does the Chicago to Vancouver run and it looks like they are running a seat sale on the route for the next couple of days They also don't don't have the same baggage fees as the US airlines and Air Canada.

Edited by em-sk

I am curious how they will put you on the next flight if it is full. If it is full, they are going to force someone off to help you? Seriously? If there seats available, yes.

United typically will offer, if available, a choice of a couple of connections. Yopu may have to prompt the program by giving an earlier departure time. But you might, for example, se a schedule that has your 51 minute connection, then one that has a 2 hr 30 minute layover, then one that has a 4 hour 45 minute lay over. These are possible examples, not definitive to your situation.

Edited by CruiserBruce

LOL yes. We have all day and so there will be several flights if we miss ours. The cost difference between the shorter connection and the others is quite significant and so I think I'll risk it. Thanks everyone.

I am curious how they will put you on the next flight if it is full. If it is full, they are going to force someone off to help you? Seriously? If there seats available, yes.

Flights are overbooked all the time. If the next flight is full they will most likely force someone off to help the late passengers. If they allow a very short connection and the first flight is late, they will do everything they can to help the late passengers to continue their travel and yes, they will force someone off if they have to.

I believe the OP is coming from CHICO California, which is a wee bit smaller than Chicago.

But Chico, CA has the Sierra Nevada brewery (and Chico State up the road). That makes it arguably more important than Chicago :)

Yes, it is possible that they will try to accommodate you on a full flight by asking for volunteers to take a later flight. I have seen this happen. Your chances are very good that UA will get you on a "full" flight if you are a 1K or GS.

I do not agree with sverigecruiser that UA is going to "force" anyone off a flight with a confirmed ticket and seat to accommodate passengers who missed a connection on an earlier flight. It is very unusual to involuntary deny boarding these days; someone almost always volunteers.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

Yes, it is possible that they will try to accommodate you on a full flight by asking for volunteers to take a later flight. I have seen this happen. Your chances are very good that UA will get you on a "full" flight if you are a 1K or GS.

I do not agree with sverigecruiser that UA is going to "force" anyone off a flight with a confirmed ticket and seat to accommodate passengers who missed a connection on an earlier flight. It is very unusual to involuntary deny boarding these days; someone almost always volunteers.

I think that the system automatically book a passenger on the next flight if they miss the connection because of a late flight. People are "forced" off flights every day because of the overbooking system and rebooking passengers to the next flight is probably just a part of that.

I have been rebooked to the next flight because of a late connection but of course I can't know for sure if we were lucky and got the last two seats on the next flight of if we were a part of the "overbooking system". I know that the flight was full and we got seats.

"force" anyone off a flight with a confirmed ticket and seat

I don't know how the overbooking system works but I guess that lots of people have confirmed tickets but not confirmed seats. The alternativ is that all the overbooked passengers have the same confirmed seat as someone else and I think that's unlikely. Lots of flights are overbooked so if everyone with a confirmed ticket tries to check in, some must be forced of if there aren't enough volunteers.

When lots of planes are delayed for example during a snowstorm, the system doesn't work.