Sooo excited, and yet not

Dee777

In 35 days we will begin our journey to Miami to board the Breeze and I can barely sleep! But not from excitement... the plane ride freaks the bejabbers out of me :(

I have a prescription for Ativan which I use to fly. I just wish I could take it 24/7 until I land in Miami :D

Anyone else out there hate to fly? My doctor is a pilot and he's always telling me how safe it is, blah blah hlah. I KNOW it, but when I get in the line to board that plane my heart rate shoots up, my hands start to shake and I hyperventilate. My husband stands behind me to prevent me from running away lol.

Once I'm on the ship I'm happy as can be!

I am the same way. However, I used to practically break out in a sweat months before the cruise, just thinking about going to the airport, let alone getting on the plane. I also use an anti anxiety medication but then I tried desensitizing myself. I started by driving to the airport to take family members and friends to fly and to pick up from their trips.

Then I practiced in my mind over and over walking into the airport, checking my bags, going through security, lining up to board, walking through that narrow hall thing that leads to the jet, then setting down. I made sure that when I visualized these steps that if I got anxious, I would deep breath and slow down.

I won't say I am looking forward to flying, but I can sleep before the cruise now. I still imagine going to the airport and getting on the plane but now I only do it right before I leave for my trip.

Cruising is well worth the effort. Best of luck!!

In 35 days we will begin our journey to Miami to board the Breeze and I can barely sleep! But not from excitement... the plane ride freaks the bejabbers out of me :(

I have a prescription for Ativan which I use to fly. I just wish I could take it 24/7 until I land in Miami :D

Anyone else out there hate to fly? My doctor is a pilot and he's always telling me how safe it is, blah blah hlah. I KNOW it, but when I get in the line to board that plane my heart rate shoots up, my hands start to shake and I hyperventilate. My husband stands behind me to prevent me from running away lol.

Yep, My wife. She has to take her "happy" pills when we fly. Only trouble is, she gets very talkative, so no sleeping for me...lol

I am a white knuckle flyer like you. I don't take meds when I fly however. Here is what I do. First, in getting ready for the flight I monitor my breathing. If I start breathing fast I consciously slow my breathing down by looking at my watch and taking a breath only every 5 to 10 seconds. Looking at the watch makes me focus on that and not my fear. Once on the plane I say the Lord's Prayer over and over until we are in the air. Once aloft I DO NOT look out the window. I can convince myself I am not flying if I can't see the ground. As we descend to the ground it is back to the Lord's Prayer.

What is really funny is I served in the US Air Force.

I had to train myself to relax on a plane. Here's what I do now. I wear loose comfortable clothing. I use a neck pillow. As soon as I am seated, I relax my muscles and close my eyes. I get as comfortable as possible, and focus on breathing Slowly into my nose and out my mouth. No matter what, I do not open my eyes until I am in the air. If I feel any part of my body tightening, I mentally choose to make it go limp. I've done this for so long that I almost always instantly fall asleep when I get seated on a plane.

Oh, thank you all very much for your kind replies and reassurances. It helps some to know there really are others out there like me haha.

This is our 5th cruise, and we fly other places too but I just can't seem to get over the flying issues. But we are SO looking forward to this cruise on the Breeze, we booked it in January last year to celebrate my 50th birthday next month :D

I'm writing all the tips you people are sharing and will give them a try, thank you all!

Edited by Dee777

I am the same. I don't like flying. I watch the flight attendants, If they are not worried about anything then I don't. I usually sit and pray which gives me comfort. I talk to my DH , read or I watch the screen on the back of the seat to see where we are. You will do fine. Know you are not alone. There are probably other's on the flight as well.

I know exactly how you feel....my fiance is a commercial airline pilot but I am TERRIFIED of getting on a plane. I take clonazepam before my flight and it calms be down but barely. I know there are other drugs given by DR's if you want to go that route...otherwise focus on breathing and trying to avoid some of the things that trigger the fear. For me it is turbulence which is unavoidable but I try to focus on breathing in and out and relaxing my body.

Good luck

I LOVE to fly, I actually like to choose trips that let me have a layover so I can experience the take off and landings twice. I know it sounds crazy to the OP but I love being able to watch the ground for as long as I can before it disappears out of view. But I understand the OP's panic. I traveled to New Orleans with my best friend and I SERIOUSLY thought I was going to have to slap her to bring her to her senses and get her to actually cross over the threshold into the plane. I'd already given her a Xanax and she was still freaking out. I finally got her onto the plane...as we were nearing New Orleans she asked the flight attendant if we were "going down now" the flight attendant replied, "Ma'am, we don't use the words going down on the airplane, we are descending now"....I had to laugh out loud. I ended up with her fingernail marks in my arm, which turned into bruises later but all in all for ME it was a fun trip....for her, I'm not sure she would say the same.

Hang in there...do all of the above, deep breathing, relaxation methods, and Xanax if necessary...when all else fails be sure you travel with a good friend who loves to fly and doesn't mind finger print intentions in the arm. LOL

Oh, thank you all very much for your kind replies and reassurances. It helps some to know there really are others out there like me haha.

This is our 5th cruise, and we fly other places too but I just can't seem to get over the flying issues. But we are SO looking forward to this cruise on the Breeze, we booked it in January last year to celebrate my 50th birthday next month :D

I'm writing all the tips you people are sharing and will give them a try, thank you all!

I can't tell if your fear of flying goes along with a fear of heights, but if heights DONT bother you, try the ropes course. My DIL who is afraid of heights tried it, but only once! :D

Edited by 2 cruzen

I completely understand! How many times have you flown because I know in my case the more I've flown the easier its been. Don't get me wrong, I still get nervous but not as much as I once did.

I LOVE to fly, I actually like to choose trips that let me have a layover so I can experience the take off and landings twice. I know it sounds crazy to the OP but I love being able to watch the ground for as long as I can before it disappears out of view. But I understand the OP's panic.....

This is me too! I love flying and watching the landscape change below, window seat behind the wing. The only thing I don't like is paying for them.

I do feel for all of you with a fear of flying though...... you know those cave tours? Won't EVER find me inside of one of those, nope, can't do it (I'll look at the pictures instead) and tunnels through mountain roads, can't wait to get out of them, my heart pounds through my chest.

You have a long flight but dont worry you will be there safely.

I read an interesting thing the other day about the relative safety of driving versus flying: After 9/11, many people were reluctant to fly and drove instead. That caused about 1,000 extra deaths on US roads in October-December 2001.

Not trying to "convince" or "convert" anyone...I know most fearful or nervous fliers realize their anxiety is not rational but very real to them.

Edited by kenish

For me it's the turbulence also. Just wracks my nerves. I wouldn't mind it at all if there was a way to do without that darn turbulence.

I know flying is super safe, but it's just the idea that if an "accident" happens, the consequences are far more deadly than any other type of travel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk