Pre-Check vs. Priority (1st Class) Lines

Prujam

Hi all - I am very excited about flights for my upcoming cruise, we booked 1st class!! We also had recently signed up for the TSA Pre-Check. Which line do you go into? I am sure most will say the shorter line, but what if you cannot tell, then which do you choose?

TIA

A recent discussion on FlyerTalk concluded the Pre line, but I think you just have look, and see what line is longer, or appears to be moving faster.

Are we talking an international flight? In my experience, Pre doesn't apply to international flights.

A recent discussion on FlyerTalk concluded the Pre line, but I think you just have look, and see what line is longer, or appears to be moving faster.

Are we talking an international flight? In my experience, Pre doesn't apply to international flights.

I thought Precheck applied to international flights for the flights that start in the US?

Oh thank you - I did not see that conversation.

It is a domestic flight, MSP to MIA. I believe we will be able to see which is longer, but wanted to know in case we couldn't.

Thanks!!

It's not necessarily which is faster. One has nothing to do with the other.

First Class without Pre Check just means you go in a special line that winds around and puts you in the front of the regular line.

You still have to remove the laptop, your shoes, your jacket, your 311. You're also still in line with mom and dad with 4 kids in strollers.

With Pre Check you have a special line and go through your own scanner. Don't have to remove anything. You may still be affected by TSA doing a random search.

I thought Precheck applied to international flights for the flights that start in the US?

Not at any airport I have used, but I guess it can vary. At SFO, for example, there isn't Pre in the International Terminal. But there is a separate line for Business and First.

As someone who typically travels in the front cabin, has top tier frequent flyer status along with TSA Pre-Check I find myself using the TSA Pre-Check line 99% of the time if it is an option.

Your experiences may vary.

Edited by fbgd

Not at any airport I have used, but I guess it can vary. At SFO, for example, there isn't Pre in the International Terminal. But there is a separate line for Business and First.

I used pre check in SFO's International Terminal a few months ago. Has that changed recently?

I used pre check in SFO's International Terminal a few months ago. Has that changed recently?

Have never seen Pre at SFO International Terminal. But you can use Pre in Terminal 1 or 3, and get to the International Terminal "behind security". We fly out of SFO several times a year, and almost always in Business or First. Internationally we are always put in the Business/First security check line. Will fly internationally next in August..will look again.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Have never seen Pre at SFO International Terminal. But you can use Pre in Terminal 1 or 3, and get to the International Terminal "behind security". We fly out of SFO several times a year, and almost always in Business or First. Internationally we are always put in the Business/First security check line. Will fly internationally next in August..will look again.

I checked in in the International terminal knowing that at the time I was leaving security lines there would be shorter than term 3. Boarding pass said pre. TSA said that pre was closed and handed me a colored card to give to the agent. I did not have to use the scanner, just the metal detector and the rest was the usual pre routine. Pretty sure there was a Pre sign there but now you are making me wonder!

I am flying Delta business class. I also have TSA Pre. MYR to ATL to JFK. JFK to CDG. BCN to JFK. JFK to ATL to MYR. I requested a wheelchair due to mobility problems. So where oh where which line will I be going to? Thank you!

The wheelchair attendant will know which line to use. No problem!

When we flew out of SFO to Auckland I asked about TSA Pre and the TSA agent said that foreign carriers could not use it. We did get priority screening because we were in premium economy so it was not a big deal but I did have to remember somethings I had forgotten over time while enjoying TSA pre for the past few years.

I've only flown international from SLC and when I went to CDG, Precheck was available.

We flew first class from Seatac on 5/23. The priority line only got us to the regular tsa line quicker. Pre check is definitely the way to go-- no shoes off or 311 out of the carry on etc.